How do you feel if strangers come into your SL home unexpectedly?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Personally, I don't mind if strangers come to my home as long as they don't bother me with unwanted IMs or rez stuff that crash the sim or something like that. If they just stand there and don't say anything I don't mind.

The reason why I ask is because I've been viewing various "SL home invasion" trolling videos and commenters have said that people who get mad at strangers coming into their home are taking Second Life too seriously.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Personally, I don't mind if strangers come to my home as long as they don't bother me with unwanted IMs or rez stuff that crash the sim or something like that. If they just stand there and don't say anything I don't mind.

The reason why I ask is because I've been viewing various "SL home invasion" trolling videos and commenters have said that people who get mad at strangers coming into their home are taking Second Life too seriously.

I'd feel fine. They might feel a little ejected rejected though. 

I don't mind people coming onto my land. Just don't go in my house without an invitation. And no, I don't give standing invitations. Well... except the landlord who is also my boss. So I have to let him prank me once in awhile or he'd make me watch him go through his whole repertoire of avatars.

/me runs

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For the 4096 I rent, I have specific areas that are "public access" the majority of the time plus two areas that are "Private" (orb enforced) with a "Semi-Private" space (orb will occasionally be turned on).

For the 512 Linden Home? I just lock it down using the land controls on occasion - there's a reason the parcel has "Retreat" in the name!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I use a security orb when I log out or if I’m visiting another place. If I’m there I don’t mind an impromptu visit (providing you don’t become a nuisance and force me to shoo you away).

Edited by VaelFaye
  • Like 2

I personally don't care I usually ignore them unless they IM me or say something in chat.  Honestly, someone just walking onto my property or into my house while I am there has happened very rarely in all the years I have been in SL.  

Yes, I have seen some of these trolling videos and am often baffled why people engage with them when all you have to do is block and mute them.

• Like 7

When I was still renting parcels I always had the orb on. With 20s warning time, which I feel is more than enough to notice the warning and teleport away/back, even on slow machines. All parcels I ever rented were on islands, and the only way to get there was direct teleport or flying from adjacent parcels, so no one could bump into it while driving, flying in some vehicle or sailing anyway.

I dislike the idea of some random people I never met using my place as their playground when I never intended to make it one, and to possibly changing some settings/textures somewhere, as not all furniture/objects have "only owner" option, sadly.

And after getting own region it's in "access list" only, so no strangers at all anymore. No those pesky bots teleporting in and out a few times a day either. Still no idea what most of them even do. I know there's a few land survey ones, which are not bad and only appear rarely, but some of those bots were literally showing 4-5 times a day for months.

• Like 4

Generally it doesn't bother me.  I don't do the SLex anymore so the only thing they could walk in on is me changing clothes.  Strangers seeing me naked isn't going to get me upset.

If they start acting like a---holes, then I'll probably mess with them a bit.  Freeze and cage them, orbit them, whatever else I can think of at the moment - and they'll definitely end up on the ban list afterwards.

• Like 5

I use my home to just be able to change and unpack shtuff in peace..  That said..

I don't care, just don't get in the way of whatever I'm doing in my home.  Become a nuisance and I'll have to eject you out and probably block you from ever coming back.

• Like 3

You can't get into mine without sitting through the wall, so the person either has no idea what they are doing, or knows exactly what they are doing. I try to figure that out first, and then react accordingly.

If I'm not there, I really don't mind.

Edited by Evah Baxton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I was wondering why this happens at times.  Could it be because the landlord forget to mark the place as rented because a couple of times I was looking at rentals and I teleport to a supposedly vacant property to go have a look at it, and the place was most definitely rented and even showed quite a bit of time paid for the rental in advance plus was all furnished when I was looking for unfurnished.  

It also happened to me once where someone I did not know teleport-ed in.  She said it was an accident and she apologized to me via IM.  It wasn't any big deal, but funnily enough, we ended up becoming friends.   She was looking at rentals in the area and the TP may have been incorrect or something because she did not do it on purpose.   Some tp's are just not set right or something?  

Edited by JanuarySwan
sleepy
  • Like 2

Doesn't bother me, my door is always open. I've walked in on people having adult play dates on my furniture and had people come in see me and shoot off instantaneously. one time I was afk and a guy comes in to my then skybox decided to join me on the chair or whatever I was on and use me as a tool to get his rocks off with just left him to it while I did other things. As long as someone isn't being an a******e I don't see any great need to eject them 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

I was wondering why this happens at times.  Could it because the landlord forget to mark the place as rented because a couple of times I was looking at rentals and I teleport to a supposedly vacant property to go have a look at it, and the place was most definitely rented and even showed quite a bit of time paid for the rental in advance plus was all furnished when I was looking for unfurnished.  

It also happened to me once where someone I did not know teleport-ed in.  She said it was an accident and she apologized to me via IM.  It wasn't any big deal, but funnily enough, we ended up becoming friends.   She was looking at rentals in the area and the TP may have been incorrect or something because she did not do it on purpose.   Some tp's are just not set right or something?  

Sometimes it happens just because new people are not aware that the homes are private.  When I first got to SL many moons ago, one of the first places I was exploring had a lot of 'open to the public' homes.  I learned early enough that security orbs meant a place was not public, but it took a while longer for me to learn that just because there was not a security orb did not mean it was considered open to the public.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sometimes it happens just because new people are not aware that the homes are private.  When I first got to SL many moons ago, one of the first places I was exploring had a lot of 'open to the public' homes.  I learned early enough that security orbs meant a place was not public, but it took a while longer for me to learn that just because there was not a security orb did not mean it was considered open to the public.

I see. 

But speak of security orbs, It took me a while to learn how to work the security orb.  I usually leave it off because if friends visit, I have to add them.  I usually tell my landlord my orb is off and they are fine with that because my landlords have powers to deal with them if they are a nuisance.  lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

one time I was afk and a guy comes in to my then skybox decided to join me on the chair or whatever I was on and use me as a tool to get his rocks off with just left him to it while I did other things. As long as someone isn't being an a******e I don't see any great need to eject them 

And this, for me, falls under the heading "a*****e"

• Like 7

I keep my land open to the public because:

1. It is virtual property, they cant steal or vandalize
  2. I personally feel "why put that much effort into making it look neat if you don't want people to see it"

I understand if people don't have the same viewpoints as I do regarding this, and fully respect it.

But anyone exploring my home has to put up with whatever weird stuff is going on there.

• Like 8

I welcome them unless they behave obnoxiously, in which case I ban them.

I want people to enjoy my house. Why not? It's not RL, where they can do actual damage. At worst, they'll leave stuff lying around, which I can return in less than a minute, and the need for that seldom occurs.

I have met some interesting people that I first met when they wandered into my house.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
  • Like 4

When I create/assemble sims (or parts of them), I do it with maybe having people drop in. I don't advertise the spots, but the ones I design with a theme or with photography in mind, I'm fine with them visiting. As5holes get booted. As5holes are defined depending upon my mood. 

I don't care what people do when I'm not there. I always set an autoreturn on land, or not allow rezzing, so there's not much anyone can do.

Currently I don't have the orb on for my houseboat. In the land description I say that, and I also say that if people abuse it I'll turn it on.

Popping in when I'm there? Is a different matter. Then its like my real house, sort of. I don't even like friends popping in unannounced or invited (but I don't tend to tell them that, I just stand around feeling itchy). If a stranger pops in, I won't pitch a fit if they basically wander off, maybe exchange a few words. Luckily people don't tend to stay. I haven't had people popping in be a problem for a long time.

• Like 2

I don't mind people walking through the parcel, as long as they stay outside of the house (and don't hang out in the area just outside the house) while I am there.  When I have a mainland parcel alongside a road, like I do now, I usually put my house in the back section, furthest from the road, and generally have some type of fence or hedge or other visual barrier separating the back section from the front section The front section is usually some type of garden or farm and OK for people to wander through as they pass by.  

If the house that I'm using has doors that 'lock' I generally have those set.  I know that is not a deterrent at all, but I do it as a way to symbolically indicate the house is not open for just anyone to walk into.  

It is unlikely that I will talk with some stranger that unexpectedly drops in - I'm not a chatty person at all - though I will replay back if they say 'hello', and will most likely answer a question if it is a question pertaining to something I have out in the parcel.    

• Like 5

Maybe putting something scary or a sign around your home could help the noobs know this is not a sim like most sims in SL where you just walk around like most everywhere else in SL for those who want all trespassers to stay away.  I was greeted by a security orb myself when I was new.  I wanted to look at the neighbor's house because it was lovely and the yard was spectacular...so I wanted to see more so I could copy the style a bit and learn how to decorate and landscape so I could have a home like that!  Now I know I can cam in a little.  hehehehe   If your home is pretty, expect some newbie gazers.  A sign could help.  

Edited by JanuarySwan
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.