oh my 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

if we was using xenforo I could set it up for them that this person would have almost no chances of hitting the forum, but I have zero clue on this setup they use,   we moved our site we started in 2002 from phpnuke to xenforo 2 years ago and I can tell you the tools out there as addons for it are amazing, it's wild being an admin and seeing the advances of stopforumspam and a few other plugins evolve and expand. 

Strikes me the GD section is only attacked each time. How is that even possible ? And why can't he be stopped when it is so obvious he'll return with a name variety WHICH CAN BE BLOCKED ON FOREHAND : JUST DISALLOW ANY ACCOUNT CREATION WITH EQUAL ENDING ON THIS NAME  ( at least for a while ) .

Why is that so hard ? Or does LL want the GD gone ?

ETA : I gave up reporting it .. futile attempt.

Edited by TDD123

i have to assume the dude's botting, because he sends the same message to what feels like every single furry group at the exact same time to the second. last night his messages opened 3 of my group chats at once, it's pretty annoying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Strikes me the GD section is only attacked each time. How is that even possible ? And why can't he be stopped when it is so obvious he'll return with a name variety WHICH CAN BE BLOCKED ON FOREHAND : JUST DISALLOW ANY ACCOUNT CREATION WITH EQUAL ENDING ON THIS NAME  ( at least for a while ) .

Why is that so hard ? Or does LL want the GD gone ?

ETA : I gave up reporting it .. futile attempt.

So, it's your theory that they will stop if they can't create an account name ending with the name they're using?

This is asymmetric warfare - it's much easier for the poster to slightly change their procedure than it is for the moderators to block any possible exploit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

This is asymmetric warfare - it's much easier for the poster to slightly change their procedure than it is for the moderators to block any possible exploit.

This is a lone wolf **** wreaking havoc with very little imagination.

I'd at least give it a try.

IF username = "*oitre "

THEN deny account creation

ELSE ok

Edited by TDD123

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

So, it's your theory that they will stop if they can't create an account name ending with the name they're using?

If the whole account creation process and posting is done by bot, it probably WILL stop, and the person who set it up might not even notice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You can very easily set up spam filters... It's not hard especially when the content is extremely specific and guaranteed to not change without losing the point of the spam.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

At least close this waste of resources forum to 'outside' readers i.e. those not actually logged in. It is already done for certain sections - so do it for all. Not a solution but at least stops it being visible to any web crawler/spider out there. And does not hurt all the usual denizens.

Would have added to 'peeves'/feedback but - what is the point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

At least close this waste of resources forum to 'outside' readers i.e. those not actually logged in. It is already done for certain sections - so do it for all. Not a solution but at least stops it being visible to any web crawler/spider out there. And does not hurt all the usual denizens.

That would be a pretty crummy thing to do.

i only have an iPad these days & can only borrow my son’s computer occasionally as in maybe once a week.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Would have added to 'peeves'/feedback but - what is the point

You gave yourself the answer... there is no point in doing what you suggest and it prevents new residents from reading the forum before signing up thus denying them their right to an informed decision.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

That would be a pretty crummy thing to do.

i only have an iPad these days & can only borrow my son’s computer occasionally as in maybe once a week.  

Your point is taken. But you are - logged in to answer. As you have been, with respect, rather more often than I am :)

But if the resources are not here to monitor then what would you suggest?

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You gave yourself the answer... there is no point in doing what you suggest and it prevents new residents from reading the forum before signing up thus denying them their right to an informed decision.

But they are not 'new residents' - they are reading this before signing up? I understand your point though.

1 minute ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Your point is taken. But you are - logged in to answer. As you have been, with respect, rather more often than I am :)

But if the resources are not here to monitor then what would you suggest?

I thought you meant currently logged in to the actual SL viewer would determine If one were to be allowed to post to the forum at the same time...

I think now I might have misunderstood?  If I didn’t then I am really confused 😐 

Buuuut since you asked my opinion (no one ever does that *squee*) after watching & reporting the doxxing go on this weekend (I must have missed today’s spam) I whole heartedly believe there needs to be 24/7 monitoring & responding to significant forum reports and it wouldn’t hurt for there to be inworld response to inworld ARs as well. 

1 minute ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

But they are not 'new residents' - they are reading this before signing up? I understand your point though.

So you're saying there are absolutely zero new residents in SL. Yeah, no.

Most people don't just sign up for a forum they have never even read a single post on. Most people at least look around a bit before making the final decision to sign up or not. The ones that sign up impulsively without bothering to look around are the ones that don't stick around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

I do not believe people new to SL explore the forums first before signing up to SL.  Undoubtedly there is a possible few that do, but certainly not a significant amount.

7 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I do not believe people new to SL explore the forums first before signing up to SL.  Undoubtedly there is a possible few that do, but certainly not a significant amount.

Welll...  I didn't "explore" the forums, but a lot of my search engine inquiries about SL before I joined returned Knowledge Base and SL forum links.  And after I *had* joined SL they were critical to getting out of Orientation Island or wherever I was.  (This was when the SL viewer had "Basic" mode, which wouldn't allow some people to teleport, so I needed to know what the problem was and what to do about it.)

Edited by LibGwen
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.