Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

took this at my forest.. can't remember the windlight.. something foggy. No post edit and no makeup.. yikes!

To start us out, I rummaged around to find some recent shots that haven't been posted elsewhere. I found these. I was exploring and not paying attention and this animated sculpture scared the carp out

Ok, the final version of this has already been posted on the "How does your avatar look" thread, but I want to help get this rolling, so I'll post before and after shots here. Ordinarily, when I

Posted Images

1488822697_cROPPEDoNLY.thumb.png.c2f4a365504ebd3b4565a06f0a0d9c99.png1637680695_AllDoneUp.thumb.png.915a7d64597be03d7cf4910164dd35cf.png

This came out nothing like I wanted it to, but I'd rather take a nap than futz with it anymore. I'm not fancy enough for PS so I use Pixlr X and it does what I need it it do. 

I call this photo "Stop with the Sexism and Double Standards, Linden Lab, and Let Women Show their Nips, too, Part I".

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, for today's picture I got both of my alts inworld with me, a feat I'm shocked I managed on just one PC 😛  Here's the raw shot:

Triad_039.thumb.jpg.c966047e32af1dc49fa2128bcfd52090.jpg

And here's the edited pic:

1691207252_Triad_039.moaredit.thumb.png.c9b8f53b9bb14aefaced86894e502e87.png

I hit up Image Adjustments and for once adjusted the curves DOWN, because the light setting I was using rather washed us out.  Then I dragged the brightness down a touch, and increased the saturation a little bit.  I also fixed the clipping (mostly) on AjayMcDowwll Alter's hair -- she's the one at the far left -- as well as erasing a fly-away that didn't show to good advantage against the background.  After that was a little cropping, and done 🙂

It's not perfect by any means, and I think I could have achieved better results with something like Black Dragon, which I'm going to have to stop dragging my feet about using, but I am not displeased.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
  • Like 18
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, kiramanell said:

 

An avi becomes real when you can't tell the difference any more. :) You look absolutely astounding. So real, so beautiful. ❤️ And the subtle effects you used were quite instructive, and quite visible.

Thank you so much!!!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 6:08 PM, kiramanell said:

Okay, it finally lets me upload original, raw image. :)

 

merm3.thumb.jpg.6a780d2dc9ead397e10e9f3b9f95f86d.jpg

 

 

I have that exact mer chair! I never thought to put it on dry land, but it is totally adorbs and perfect there!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Okay, for today's picture I got both of my alts inworld with me, a feat I'm shocked I managed on just one PC 😛  Here's the raw shot:

Triad_039.thumb.jpg.c966047e32af1dc49fa2128bcfd52090.jpg

And here's the edited pic:

1691207252_Triad_039.moaredit.thumb.png.c9b8f53b9bb14aefaced86894e502e87.png

I hit up Image Adjustments and for once adjusted the curves DOWN, because the light setting I was using rather washed us out.  Then I dragged the brightness down a touch, and increased the saturation a little bit.  I also fixed the clipping (mostly) on AjayMcDowwll Alter's hair -- she's the one at the far left -- as well as erasing a fly-away that didn't show to good advantage against the background.  After that was a little cropping, and done 🙂

It's not perfect by any means, and I think I could have achieved better results with something like Black Dragon, which I'm going to have to stop dragging my feet about using, but I am not displeased.

I'm laughing because wt hell is it with us, and I do mean a collective, all encompassing us, that has to apologize and explain "it" isn't perfect, and someday maybe we can get a decent candid snapshot, and this and that disclaimer? (looking at you too Kira and Scylla) I always explain that I suck at PS. :) I lived with a graphic designer for a while, and he used PS every day, and he worked with people who do the same, and he would routinely say that EVERYone sucks at PS because it is such a huge program there's only like 1 person in the universe who can use every single feature of it. :)

:::steps down off of whatever box I was standing upon:::

I see why you made the adjustments, and yeah, adding the saturation, etc. really helped with the skin tones. I think it is fun that all three of you look alike, or almost. :)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 6:08 PM, kiramanell said:

Okay, it finally lets me upload original, raw image. :)

 

merm3.thumb.jpg.6a780d2dc9ead397e10e9f3b9f95f86d.jpg

 

 

I love your place, Kira.

It's the kind of place I'd have lived in when I was, like, 23, if I'd been even a little bit cool.

(And not actually living in a shared house with three guys who were all freaking pigs.)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm laughing because wt hell is it with us, and I do mean a collective, all encompassing us, that has to apologize and explain "it" isn't perfect, and someday maybe we can get a decent candid snapshot, and this and that disclaimer? (looking at you too Kira and Scylla) I always explain that I suck at PS. :) I lived with a graphic designer for a while, and he used PS every day, and he worked with people who do the same, and he would routinely say that EVERYone sucks at PS because it is such a huge program there's only like 1 person in the universe who can use every single feature of it. :)

:::steps down off of whatever box I was standing upon:::

I see why you made the adjustments, and yeah, adding the saturation, etc. really helped with the skin tones. I think it is fun that all three of you look alike, or almost. :)

LOL -- okay, good points all :)  Especially about PS.  Lordy, that program is a beast!  I've learned lots about it with texturing pre-made meshes, though, which is amusing me no end, as well as through making my own alphas, and working with the photos I take in SL.  Experience really is the best teacher, at least for me.

And yes, we almost look alike lol.  There are variations in eye-color, haircolor, and cosmetics, but everything else is identical down to our shapes.

Well except for our AOs.  The girls have Erika, and I'm on Miriam.  Also, when this picture was taken they were in the Genus head 1.7 and I was still in my 1.6 because updating pains my soul.  I only unpacked their updated heads (they were sent out in... March?  lol) because the new ones had BoM in the HUD, and there's currently nowhere to get the Genus BoM add-on at this time.

Well, once I looked at the picture I really LIKED the updated head, so I sucked it up, unpacked mine, and have it on now.  Photography, y'all:  changing avie's lives, one upgrade at a time ;)

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Thank you so much!!!

 

Seriously, your beautiful, porcelyn-like skin avi is absolutely adorable. ❤️ And I'm learning a lot from you about curves. :) See, me, when I see any kind of graph kinda tool (like curves in PS), it almost instantly feels too math-y for me, LOL. (Math and I, well, we're not really on speaking terms. 😜) But you appear to work wonders with it, so I guess I will just have to put myself to learn such stuff too. :) 

And, on a more personal note, I love how friendly you are. 🤗 O, brave new thread, that has such wonderful people in it!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm laughing because wt hell is it with us, and I do mean a collective, all encompassing us, that has to apologize and explain "it" isn't perfect, and someday maybe we can get a decent candid snapshot, and this and that disclaimer? (looking at you too Kira and Scylla) I always explain that I suck at PS. :) I lived with a graphic designer for a while, and he used PS every day, and he worked with people who do the same, and he would routinely say that EVERYone sucks at PS because it is such a huge program there's only like 1 person in the universe who can use every single feature of it. :)

:::steps down off of whatever box I was standing upon:::

I see why you made the adjustments, and yeah, adding the saturation, etc. really helped with the skin tones. I think it is fun that all three of you look alike, or almost. :)

 

Hehe, so true. :) Except for Scylla, of course, who truly is magnificent artist. ☺️ And you, of course. Trying to get some half-way decent RAW images, I realize it's really quite hard to get it right in one-shot. So, I tend to rely on PS to make at least something out of it. PS masks my lack of talent, as it were (but brutally shows my lack of talent in PS, in the process). Okay, I'm kinda rambling at this point. Just meant to say I often really *do* feel a bit intimidated by the things ppl do in PS. But, then again, also feel intimidated by people like you, or Eva, who can create raw shots that just looks amazing, straight 'out-of-box.' (So, yeah, here's where I realized I should have stopped at "I'm kinda rambling at this point." 😄

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I love your place, Kira.

It's the kind of place I'd have lived in when I was, like, 23, if I'd been even a little bit cool.

(And not actually living in a shared house with three guys who were all freaking pigs.)

 

Thanks! 😚 Coming from you, that's high praise. :) And that's the beauty of SL, in't it?! We can create things as fancy we want, with only our own imaginition being the limit.

N.B. Living with 3 guys, wow, not sure I would dare doing that. But your coolness is never in question, I can assure you. If anything, it only makes me respect you more. 👍

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Free the nipples!

or

Ban ALL the nipples!

either one

 

Scylla has written some very good articles (heck, let's just call em 'epistles') on the glaringly apparent double-standard being applied for women and men, regarding nudity. A little off-topic, so I'll be brief; but yeah, even though I realize your comment was meant in jest, would be ever so nice if LL actually did address the matter, one day.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, today it's just a straight-up raw picture... and I realized I could move the sun around with the PhotoTools in Firestorm!
I know this is something everyone has likely already discovered.  It was a new one on me, though 😛

 

Morning Coffee 051520.png

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
Words.
  • Like 18
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Just meant to say I often really *do* feel a bit intimidated by the things ppl do in PS. But, then again, also feel intimidated by people like you, or Eva, who can create raw shots that just looks amazing, straight 'out-of-box.'

I believe Seicher made this thread so that people who felt "intimidated" posting on the other thread don't have to feel that way at all in this one. There are people with better graphics cards, better PC's, better viewer's and have a lot of experience who will always post better "RAW" shots than many of us, it's normal, but it's not the point!  
The object I believe is, just post pic's that YOU enjoy without the stress and worry of not using PS or people "tut tutting" because you got this or that wrong etc. I mean, I don't even post pic's of Dano...(there's reasons) they're always my alt's and not even the same sex!  😆  90% of them are just "test" shots or I think they look cute etc, I like to contribute now and then, so I post them....even though I know the DoF is wrong or Jenna's face looks out of focus and I can't decide if it is or I have a detached retina....fk it! I post and let others decide, though I don't think that helps unless they offer "constructive criticism" and/or advice for a "fix"! 

Anyhow, forget being intimidated, just post and be damned with it all!  
 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Okay, today it's just a straight-up raw picture... and I realized I could move the sun around with the PhotoTools in Firestorm!
I know this is something everyone has likely already discovered.  It was a new one on me, though 😛

 

Morning Coffee 051520.png

 

So very endearing. ❤️

LOL, at first I didn't even notice the teapot: it's blended in so well with the garden. :) 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dano Seale said:

I believe Seicher made this thread so that people who felt "intimidated" posting on the other thread don't have to feel that way at all in this one.

Yup, absolutely that was one reason, for sure! Thank you.

There were several reasons for starting this thread, which is of course a bit of a crap shoot as to whether it can prosper or not, such are the ways of threads and Forums, but fingers crossed.

It was also started because there are apparently folks who want a PICTURES ONLY! damnit thread. With no, or very little chit chat, even if it is photo related. When chit chat occurs, or often if only certain people do it, then the lectures and the tsk-tsking to stay "on track" occur. And some people would prefer NOT to have the lectures, and would prefer TO have the chit chat, within reason, especially if the chat is about photos! But even if it is not.

It was also posted for the appreciation of the raw shots, as you described above... for more people to participate without being intimidated, but also because I just happen to love all kinds of raw shots. The artsy fartsy ones. The candid snapshots. The everything in between. AND, as people have been showing, I love to see how people change a raw shot into an edited one. 

Raw and edited are just two different things, with a lot of gray in the middle. I know in SL photo contests no matter how good the artsy fartsy raw shot is, it never stands a chance against a well-edited one, and I think that's a shame. I have often IMd contest managers to suggest separate categories of raw and edited, to avoid the competition between apples and oranges. And yeah, that never goes over well, sadly. 😞

Also, if you look back at the original few pages of the Vanity Thread, there was as much banter as there were photos. And there were Vanity threads on the old Forums, too. Several of them. A long tradition of them. And I just kinda missed that feel, ya know. I'm theorizing that one of the reasons the "chat" people annoy the "photos only" people is that difference between oldbies and not so oldbies. The oldbies are just used to that kind of chatter in the forums, as that is how they've used the forums all along.

And... sorry. Rant over. Your poor little comment didn't deserve paragraphs. :) I haz thoughts and opinions and theories this morning, apparently.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Okay, today it's just a straight-up raw picture... and I realized I could move the sun around with the PhotoTools in Firestorm!
I know this is something everyone has likely already discovered.  It was a new one on me, though 😛

 

Morning Coffee 051520.png

What @kiramanell said about this being endearing. I love the lighting, and yes, the brown richness of the shadows on the tea pot. And LoL, yeah, I hear you about just finding something on the viewer. Every couple of months I learn something that apparently other photographers have known for years and I'm like, "Wut?" (Locking camera position is one that comes to mind...) And now that I'm also using Black Dragon... oy.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...