RAWr Creativity! Show your raw self(ies)!

Seicher Rae
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But both Black Dragon and FS (I think?) allow you to take depth maps using the in-viewer camera. Is there a difference? If not, it's a heck of a lot easier to snap the shot that way, than changing the Windlight, and going through the process outlined in the video.

A few weeks back I went through several of the viewers. I didn't find any that did not provide Color & Depth shots. So, I think it safe to say most viewers have the capability. The top 3 have it for sure.

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd probably do this in a really rather ham-fisted way: I'd take two shots, one with DoF on, and the other with it off. Then I'd stack them, the non-DoF layer on top, and use the eraser to simply erase away the bits that I wanted out of focus. (Or, depending on the shot, you could reverse the order of the layers, and erase the bits you want sharper).

It's a probably a bit of a "cheat" . . . but then, so am I.

If everyone does it... is it cheating? Whatever, the layering and erasing/masking parts works very well.

When you get the depth map you can use it several ways in PS. One is to make a copy and invert the colors, well the gray scale. Then near things can be made out of focus. In some blur tools you won't need the inverted colors as there is an INVERT checkbox that will do the same thing.

They can then be used as masks in effects.

Unfortunately I have not found a viewer that has DoF affecting the Depth map. But then it wouldn't actually be a depth map.

8 hours ago, Annie Nova said:

Yes, several times, my top would come off, or my pants, or my body or my hands and feet LOL! You get the idea. It was so odd because I've been sailing before and never had this problem. It was interesting to say the least. 

This problem is greatly aggravated by stacking lots of attachments on the same attachment point. If your previous outfits were evenly distributed across your avatar's attachment points then it likely wouldn't be a problem.

While it is possible to wear all allowed attachments (38?) on a single attachment point and theoretically should work when crossing regions (sailing, flying, walking, and teleporting) it doesn't. There are numerous timing issues with region crossings. TP generally works best for keeping attachments.

Yoda is teaching me how to TP with a boat or copter so I can avoid region crossings...

• Like 2

A couple of raw ones from Sunday, which I thought I'd already posted but it turns out I forgot. 

First of all; too lazy to even shave.

610355.jpg?width=1200

And later, feeling a little less lazy so I went for a run.

610354.png?width=1200

• Like 11

I found a forgotten area of my front garden this morning.  It's not really visible unless you walk into it, and it was in an area I don't usually walk into, so it was a nice surprise :)

I don't use photoshop, the most I ever do with a picture is crop it or change the format sometimes.  This one has had nothing at all done.

2115657631_20200519PippinsGlenatRamanujan_011.thumb.png.26ff413375ec602c3512301bccd8d18c.png

• Like 12

I took both of these today, the only difference being the first was between High and Ultra graphics settings and had no shadows on, with no ambient occlusion, while the second was at Ultra graphics setting with shadows, ambient occlusion, and DoF turned on.  The differences are amazing, at least to me, although I like both 🙂

No other processing, except saved to JPG rather than PNG so I could upload them both size-wise.  Taken in region default lighting; fortunately, it was just after dawn 😛

Lake House_014.jpg

Lake House_008.jpg

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
JPG files instead of PNG due to size... although they look WAY better as PNGs. Oh well.
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I took both of these today, the only difference being the first was between High and Ultra graphics settings and had no shadows on, with no ambient occlusion, while the second was at Ultra graphics setting with shadows, ambient occlusion, and DoF turned on.  The differences are amazing, at least to me, although I like both 🙂

No other processing, except saved to JPG rather than PNG so I could upload them both size-wise.  Taken in region default lighting; fortunately, it was just after dawn 😛

Lake House_014.jpg

Lake House_008.jpg

Your avi looks way better than anything I could do, regardless of jpg or png. :) Seriously, I love both, but the lighting on Nr. 2 is a little friendlier on the eye, for me, and brings out your face more naturally, IMHO. ❤️

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2020 at 11:46 AM, Coby Foden said:

2020-05-18_Raw.thumb.jpg.2e2d71c371e155eb752a7b3a2dfdd165.jpg

This is gorgeous. 

I decided to go check out the region. I was doing other things so I went on with Firestorm. And took this raw shot. Which I like. But I had to play with it.NalRetrospectFS_004.thumb.jpg.b1fc952328a7cc59c519cf37c13aaf02.jpg

Some cropping, image skew to straighten things up, a masked Color Look Up layer, draw in some glow and brake up the computer smoothness with a Render Clouds layer tweaked with some blending... and I have this; (and the white background kills it.... switch over to a dark theme to see it well. - I use Dark Reader, a browser plug-in to change back and forth.)

NalRetrospectFS_004.jpg.a596a48fe5e24e1fe48e753254938f91.jpg

I like Coby's better. Not sure all the work makes a 'better' image. But I had fun.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Final comment
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Your avi looks way better than anything I could do, regardless of jpg or png. :) Seriously, I love both, but the lighting on Nr. 2 is a little friendlier on the eye, for me, and brings out your face more naturally, IMHO. ❤️

Awwww.. thank you!  And yes, the lighting on #2 is definitely better.  SL default lighting without full-on "photo settings" that I have saved is somewhat problematic at times 🙂

• Like 1

Left is raw, setting up the shot, right is raw after a slight shift of angle, some de-rendering stuff in background, waiting for the star fall and torturing the firestorm light settings, then cropped. 976D9BDD-E4FA-47E1-B974-AD1DEE0B3E0D.thumb.jpeg.d5beb6e7901080e2625c6a7b92622d4a.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

This is gorgeous. 

I decided to go check out the region. I was doing other things so I went on with Firestorm. And took this raw shot. Which I like. But I had to play with it.NalRetrospectFS_004.thumb.jpg.b1fc952328a7cc59c519cf37c13aaf02.jpg

Some cropping, image skew to straighten things up, a masked Color Look Up layer, draw in some glow and brake up the computer smoothness with a Render Clouds layer tweaked with some blending... and I have this; (and the white background kills it.... switch over to a dark theme to see it well. - I use Dark Reader, a browser plug-in to change back and forth.)

NalRetrospectFS_004.jpg.a596a48fe5e24e1fe48e753254938f91.jpg

I like Coby's better. Not sure all the work makes a 'better' image. But I had fun.

I really like your blue hue clockwork image. Very spooky and artsy. ❤️ The nightly colors you chose really befit the 'dreamtime' theme very well Chapeau! 👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Left is raw, setting up the shot, right is raw after a slight shift of angle, some de-rendering stuff in background, waiting for the star fall and torturing the firestorm light settings, then cropped. 976D9BDD-E4FA-47E1-B974-AD1DEE0B3E0D.thumb.jpeg.d5beb6e7901080e2625c6a7b92622d4a.jpeg

Color me confused. 😕 From my perspective, something went horribly wrong on the right. :( 

ETA: In the famous words of Emperor Joseph II (Amadeus): "What is this? I don't understand. Is it modern?"

Seriously, seems like some sort of bizarre chroma plane shift or something. Very strange.

Edited by kiramanell
ETA
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.