accused of being a male while on SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm doing that annoying thing of not reading the thread and writing anyway... sorry-ish.

Speaking for Seicher and not GiGi (the cat has never been queried about her genitalia), I've gotten the "U R a Dude" a few times inworld and a few times in the forums. :) Yeah. Ok. Fine. Whatever floats your boat. I can type very linearly, and logically and at times that comes across as cold and "guy." To those who want to claim I am a dude, well... guess you'll never know, in oh so many ways, you'll never know. Funny thing is, they can't know about anyone else, either, unless they meet irl.

More upsetting is my RL and getting mistaken for a dude! LoL. Over the phone sometimes and with some frequency at drive-thru systems. My voice is a contralto, like Amy Winehouse, and yeah, I get "May I help you sir?" These days it just makes me smile and when I pull up to the drive thru window and the person realizes their mistake, I just quietly chuckle to myself. Visually I've never been mistaken for a guy, btw. Just to clarify. :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you have pictures of yourself? No matter how you look, I am sure someone does this to get you on voice or on camera... it is a power play. If they accuse 100 avatars, maybe it works on some.

this ^^ be who you are, who you want to be, dress as you want and don't fret it i have reached the point in my own SL now where I say yes to everything.  Are you a girl? yes. Are you a boy?

God, it drives me absolutely crazy when those kind show up. One reason why I don't voice. I mean, I absolutely hate voice. It drives my anxiety crazy. I can handle it, for  work and stuff like that (a

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

I'm doing that annoying thing of not reading the thread and writing anyway... sorry-ish.

Speaking for Seicher and not GiGi (the cat has never been queried about her genitalia), I've gotten the "U R a Dude" a few times inworld and a few times in the forums. :) Yeah. Ok. Fine. Whatever floats your boat. I can type very linearly, and logically and at times that comes across as cold and "guy." To those who want to claim I am a dude, well... guess you'll never know, in oh so many ways, you'll never know. Funny thing is, they can't know about anyone else, either, unless they meet irl.

More upsetting is my RL and getting mistaken for a dude! LoL. Over the phone sometimes and with some frequency at drive-thru systems. My voice is a contralto, like Amy Winehouse, and yeah, I get "May I help you sir?" These days it just makes me smile and when I pull up to the drive thru window and the person realizes their mistake, I just quietly chuckle to myself. Visually I've never been mistaken for a guy, btw. Just to clarify. :)

I pop into a bdsm club now and then.  Before the girls can even see me, I'll get, "Welcome Sir Rowan.". Now I realize.that in some.parts of the world, Rowan is predominately a male name but ffs, do not address me until you can actually see me! I used to let it slide but now I'm more inclined to say something about them misplacing their bifocals.  Rowan is a unisex name in some parts.of the world and a feminine name in Arabic.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I pop into a bdsm club now and then.  Before the girls can even see me, I'll get, "Welcome Sir Rowan.". Now I realize.that in some.parts of the world, Rowan is predominately a male name but ffs, do not address me until you can actually see me! I used to let it slide but now I'm more inclined to say something about them misplacing their bifocals.  Rowan is a unisex name in some parts.of the world and a feminine name in Arabic.  

It's funny how unisex names go, actually. Most of them start as boys names, and then some radical parent decides to use it for their daughter, so it becomes fashionably unisex for a while, but you can bet that very soon after, it ceases to be a boy's name at all, because no-one wants to give their son a name that's ever used by girls. So they nearly all end up as girls' only names.

I know three people in RL called Rowan (well, two personally plus one celebrity), all of them are guys and all of them are aged 45 or older. I suspect the ratio now, of Rowans aged under 30, will skew much more heavily towards girls. 

So that person welcoming you as "Sir Rowan" may be inadvertently giving away their age. 😁

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

It's funny how unisex names go, actually. Most of them start as boys names, and then some radical parent decides to use it for their daughter, so it becomes fashionably unisex for a while, but you can bet that very soon after, it ceases to be a boy's name at all, because no-one wants to give their son a name that's ever used by girls. So they nearly all end up as girls' only names.

I know three people in RL called Rowan (well, two personally plus one celebrity), all of them are guys and all of them are aged 45 or older. I suspect the ratio now, of Rowans aged under 30, will skew much more heavily towards girls. 

So that person welcoming you as "Sir Rowan" may be inadvertently giving away their age. 😁

True and at least that don't greet me with Mr. Bean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I get that too, especially when I would tip in a club or talk in group chats.  I just reply with something like "I know my boobs are small, but they are still there!" or "I've had a sex change?"

6 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Rowan Atkinson is the only reason I knew it was also a male name! I have a circle of "mum friends" with small children the same age as my son, and two of the kids are called Rowan...both girls.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Burper Tilling said:

So I'm a very fat and ugly turquoise dwarf and I'm male. Nobody's ever accused me of being pretty and female in RL.

In fact I'm male in RL but reasonably normal looking.

I was about to say the same thing mate when I seen this thread pop up again. Lmao!!!!🤣

On 10/17/2020 at 8:30 PM, Maitimo said:

Yeah, something just hit me here; it'll be a 50/50... it's amusing how oblivious some people actually are like that. My name isn't unisex but I'll get IMs like it's normal, disregarding the fact I have a male furry profile pic ontop of it and they're like: "Hey baby... what's your age?" or something like it. *Shrugs*

Ah the delusion some people have... isn't it grand? "Ah yes, I am going into Second life completely expecting things will be like this and that and not realize it's in the name of being a fantasy world".

>Logic and reasoning. Yep, it's all here... apparently.

Edited by Simo Vodopan
On 5/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, Mollymews said:

this ^^

be who you are, who you want to be, dress as you want and don't fret it

i have reached the point in my own SL now where I say yes to everything.  Are you a girl? yes. Are you a boy? yes. Are you a cat? yes. A dog? yes. And a giraffe. And a elephant. Are you telling the truth? yes. Are you lying to me? yes. Do you want to cam? yes. Do you want to voice? yes.  I can't hear you? yes. I can't see you? yes. Are you having me on? yes

😄

• Haha 1

I don't recall ever getting the guy question although it might have happened when I was new girl in town.

Recently I get more "do you voice" questions than ever. Often the second sentence.

Yesterday..."You can find me on Skype and Discord"...

Really? And why would I be looking?

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.