You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Lambrina Emerald said:

Can anyone tell me why I cant log in on my main avatar but I can with my alt? Ive had this before and I am quite worried.

Do you get a message pop up onto your screen when you try to log in, like a "login failed ... " message?

How large is the inventory on your main account and do you use sub-folders a lot?  If you have a 'flat' inventory -- more than a thousand or two items within a single folder and not in sub-folders - it can cause log in problems on that account only.  If that might be the case, open a Support ticket telling LL that you might have a flag inventory.  They have a tool that can verify the issue and fix it.

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

How large is the inventory on your main account and do you use sub-folders a lot?  If you have a 'flat' inventory -- more than a thousand or two items within a single folder and not in sub-folders - it can cause log in problems on that account only.  If that might be the case, open a Support ticket telling LL that you might have a flag inventory.  They have a tool that can verify the issue and fix it.

Lil, would you explain the highlighted bit in more detail please - thank you!

48 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Lil, would you explain the highlighted bit in more detail please - thank you!

Here is how it was explained to me -- using some pretend inventory structures:

Inventory
  Objects
      tons of items, but no sub-folders
  Textures
     sub-folder-1
        tons of items
     sub-folder-2
         tons of items

If any of the "tons of items" are more than roughly 1000 or so (maybe 2 thousand - I'd have to go research), the inventory load can stall the view startup.

Inventory
  Folder-1
     Sub-Folder-A
        A-items
     Sub-Folder-B
       Sub-Folder-B1
           B1-items
       Sub-Folder-B2
            B2-items
       B-items not in a sub-folder 
  Folder-2
     Sub-Folder-X
        X-items
     Sub-Folder-Y
       Sub-Folder-Y1
           Y1-items
       Sub-Folder-Y2
            Y2-items
       Y-items not in a sub-folder 

Even using sub-folders, if the count of any of those "items" within a sub-folder is more than roughly 1000 or so, then the viewer has a higher probability of timing out while loading the inventory during startup.  Sub-folders break that up.  Say the B-items not in a sub-folder increase higher than 1000 or so, you should create another more sub-folders (Sub-Folder-B3, Sub-Folder-B4) to hold the items.  Ditto if the 'B1-items' folder ends up having more than 1000 or so items -- create sub-folders within Folder-B1 (Sub-Folder-B1a, Sub-Folder-B1b, etc..) and put the items within the sub-folders.

Basically, you do not want any single folder to have more than 1000 or so items directly under it.  It that happens, create another level and move things around. 

One thing I don't remember right now is whether the 'folders' under an item count as part of the 1000.  i.e. Do the Sub-Folders directly under Folder-1 (Sub-Folder-A & Sub-Folder-B) count as part of the 1000 or is it just items not in a folder?  So if Folder-1 had 5000 sub folders directly under it, would that also cause an issue. I'm thinking it does, but I'd have to go find all my old notes on it to be sure.  If @Whirly Fizzle is around, she'll likely know and can give more details on the above -- or clarify/correct things that I might be remembering a bit wrongly.

ETA:  I did just check a recent note about inventory load times.  In the viewer log, find the 'Creating Inventory Views' line and note the timestamp. Then find the 'Startup state changing from STATE_INVENTORY_SEND to STATE_MISC' and note that timestamp.  The post that I pulled that info from was telling someone that the 49 seconds between those two lines was two long and indicating that the inventory was too flat and causing slow viewer startup, that might start timing out soon (the post showed that their inventory size was around 171,000).  The post did not say how long is too long.  I just checked my most recent login and, with a total inventory size of 137,000 it was still only 8 seconds between those 2 events for me.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.