The latest in SL's competition?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I stumbled into this article on Forbes about Fortnite's new Party Royale mode, which appears to be a small non-combat social island where live events are starting to occur. The aforementioned article also linked to a previous article in which one line particularly caught my eye.

Eventually, I just gave in to the vibe of the whole thing, and started running through my dance emotes, trying to match the beat of the tracks as best I could. The impromptu concert became a surreal experience. I mean, where else can I attend a virtual, live Diplo set on an imaginary island and dance to the beats as Psylocke from X-Men as TIE Fighters fly around me?

Where else, indeed! The author of the articles also referred to Second Life an ancient internet relic.

As Sansar, with its various "experiences", continues it's Atlantean descent to the bottom of the digital ocean, along with the millions of dollars spent on it, and the SL staff talent that sank with it, I can't help but wonder what Ebbe thinks about articles like this. After all, I feel certain that someone was dancing in SL as Psylocke while TIE fighter flew around at least 14 years ago. I wonder what Ebbe's plans are to make Second Life interesting to the real world's glitterati, movers and shakers, and (let's face it) brands with lots of money.

Mostly, though, I wonder why there is still an Ebbe at all.

besides phillip,  ebbe has been one of the best ceo's the company has had,  Sansar as started by a previous ceo and it has actively being worked on when ebbe showed up and the company wanted to continue moving forward with it, that's what companies do.     Fortnite and other places that are "well we have this now"  are not SL, they do not have what we have at all and we should never go and try and emulate what every one else is doing.    SL is better than them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I got an Epic account and looked for Party Royale, but it wasn't on offer. Creative something-or-other was, and, from the subtitle it looked like it might be what I was looking for, so I took a chance. It was a shooter with no social component, as far as I could tell.

What did strike me was how easy it was to start in Fortnite, compared to SL. Please don't lecture me about all the ways that SL is superior to Fortnite---I know that.

That’s kinda already been done- way over 10 years ago. 

Its  a bit of a monolith now, but you can (or could as recently as last year) visit the region that was created for Duran Duran.  It’s also a good spot to visit for those who haven’t been in SL for the past decade  who want to see a pre-mesh environment.  

There were many brand names that had an inworld presence back then as well.  For whatever reason (I assume not profitable) they did not remain.  
TVs “The Office *American version featured the character Dwight showing off his avatar.  I had the avi on my friends list for awhile.  That was cute.

Ive read that Drew Carey is a fan & visits SL.  
Kim Kardashian incorporated SL into an advertising campaign.  You can read up on that via the blog New World Notes.

So it’s not that “movers & shakers” are unaware of SL.  They are.

4A9D947B-9888-4AF8-8B44-407B33D0A8F2.jpeg

15 hours ago, NavanaxSacratus said:

I wonder what Ebbe's plans are to make Second Life interesting to the real world's glitterati, movers and shakers, and (let's face it) brands with lots of money.

we'll see   .. he can focus more on SL now the moneypit is gone.
Only hope he won't alienate the old(er) userbase with to much glitterari, movers and shakers, LL doesn't have a good reputation with big changes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

we'll see   .. he can focus more on SL now the moneypit is gone.
Only hope he won't alienate the old(er) userbase with to much glitterari, movers and shakers, LL doesn't have a good reputation with big changes.

Hey, in the old days SL was full of them! Companies like Dell, Nissan, and even Weather Channel (!!!) had sims. Some celebrities too. I find there to be a certain charm in interacting with them on what's basically a level playing field.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NavanaxSacratus said:

I feel certain that someone was dancing in SL as Psylocke while TIE fighter flew around at least 14 years ago. I wonder what Ebbe's plans are to make Second Life interesting to the real world's glitterati, movers and shakers, and (let's face it) brands with lots of money.

it has begun already

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.