What's Wrong

AmandaHoliday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Since about 1 May 2020, I get a message when I try to log in, "Can't start because you don't have graphics." followed by a list of conditions that could cause that. I'm totally unfamiliar with the insides of a computer, so I tried the one I thought would be likely to solve the problem. Didn't work.

My system starts with an HP Compaq Pro 6305 bought as a refurbished used computer  with AMD's A6-5400B APU w/ Radeon HD graphics, Radeon HD7540D, and High Definition Audio Device. What's Wrong? if you're willing to offer a possible solution, feel free. I've always been satisfied if the power on / off switch worked, so anything else is beyond my knowledge. I'm sure my problem stems from that. lack., so any possible solution will be welcome, better yet if it IS the solution. -grin-

But not all is lost if you don't have a solution. I have a request in to the AMD help desk too. 

Edited by AmandaHoliday
missed a word

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, AmandaHoliday said:

Since about 1 May 2020, I get a message when I try to log in, "Can't start because you don't have graphics." followed by a list of conditions that could cause that. I'm totally unfamiliar with the insides of a computer, so I tried the one I thought would be likely to solve the problem. Didn't work.

My system starts with an HP Compaq Pro 6305 bought as a refurbished used computer  with AMD's A6-5400B APU w/ Radeon HD graphics, Radeon HD7540D, and High Definition Audio Device. What's Wrong? if you're willing to offer a possible solution, feel free. I've always been satisfied if the power on / off switch worked, so anything else is beyond my knowledge. I'm sure my problem stems from that. lack., so any possible solution will be welcome, better yet if it IS the solution. -grin-

But not all is lost if you don't have a solution. I have a request in to the AMD help desk too. 

I'm not so sure that video card is good enough to run SL.  If it is a laptop, ensure that the SL program is not defaulting to an even worse graphics card - some laptops have two.  

Your computer has "dual graphics".  What this means is that it has integrated graphics, built into the central processor chip, AND it has a separate, and more powerful, graphics card.  You can tell it which one it should use in any given situation.  When browsing the web or doing word processing, the integrated graphics are fine, and it saves power.  When doing more demanding jobs like running Second Life, you need to use the graphics card.

You should be able to access the settings for this by simply right clicking any empty part of your main Windows desktop screen.  There should be a menu choice something like "AMD Radeon Settings".

Another possibility...sometimes, a computer will have two actual, physical ports on the back for your monitor.  One of them will connect to the integrated graphics on the computer's motherboard.  The other will connect to the more powerful graphics card.  Make sure your monitor is plugged into the latter one.  How can you tell?  The motherboard's graphics port will be near a bunch of other connectors, in a sort of rectangular arrangement.  The graphics card port will be in a vertical slot.  See image below.

pc.thumb.jpg.a7685d8822c2f303d558021608bd2229.jpg

• Thanks 2

I don't see anything to indicate that computer has dual graphics, and even if it did, the AMD APU is capable of running SL (they all are). It sounds like a driver issue. Something has likely changed on your Windows and broken the video driver. Download a new copy from AMD and install it. There are two drivers, the Catalyst and Crimson Beta, I would suggest sticking with the Catalyst driver.

As an aside, at least with nVidia cards, they don't care what your monitor is plugged into, SL will be rendered on the nVidia card and routed to your monitor even if it's connected to a motherboard with an IGP that can't run SL. I don't remember if I've tried this stupid PC trick with AMD or not.

• Confused 1

Amanda,

On doing a little further digging, I'm thinking Lyssa may be at least partially right...what I thought was a discrete graphics card is in fact integrated graphics.  While it may be capable of running SL, it's not a very powerful solution.  First try what Lyssa suggested...see if your video drivers need updating. 

I checked out refurbished HP Compaq 6305s on Amazon, too.  I don't know when you bought yours, but they're currently selling for $20.  Yes, twenty bucks.  You can't expect much from a machine this old and outdated, or expect it for very long.  If updating the drivers doesn't help, consider getting a much newer and better machine.  You should expect to spend a few hundred dollars on a computer that can run SL well...even if you buy it used.

• Haha 1

Sometimes, as I found out the hard way, updates aren't the answer. My problem started after an update. I have an older whatchacallit that needs the Legacy program to get a connection. Since I dug around the AMD files on their web site once I got over the panic attack, I found the one that works for my computer. Get good pictures, and S L runs smoothly.

And Linda Kidd, The one I bought was guaranteed to be a refurbished computer. That's worth the extra $110 USD I paid. It saved me clearing out the old files of the previous owner and bringing it up to snuff afterward. Remember, to me, the computer is a "black box" and I'm well satisfied if the on/off works. -grins- 

Edited by AmandaHoliday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.