Jump to content
kali Wylder

about this boomer thing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Amina, I'm surprised!  But it's all right, I hereby make you an Honorary Boomer.  You can join me and Tolya, shaking our canes and screaming "Git off my lawn!"

It's kinda fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

fun

According to the stereotype of the 'boomer' or older person, they have trouble adjusting to new experiences.  Yet, you just delved into VR if I remember correctly what you said awhile back. I've been meaning to ask you....how are you liking/not liking VR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

No, it came from Bye Felipe, which itself came from online messages in which men become abusive after women turn them down. There was a particularly famous one from some plank called Felipe, if memory serves.

And they say millennials don't know anything useful.

Bye Felicia came from the movie, "Friday". It's a pretty funny movie. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Amina, I'm surprised!  But it's all right, I hereby make you an Honorary Boomer.  You can join me and Tolya, shaking our canes and screaming "Git off my lawn!"

It's kinda fun.

What surprised you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boomers killed SL. Drove off all the innovative, talented, imaginative younger scripters 10-15 years ago and turned it into Planet Bore.

Ruined SL with tacky clubs, tacky clothes, tacky sims, tacky art, tacky hair. SL Marketplace could be a catalogue from 1974. 

Fishing, line dancing and ballgowns, FFS. Michael Landon-meets-Conan The Barbarian avatars. Pathetic. 

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit that I like being a "Boomer" even though I'm not yet in the literal baby boomer age group. Sometimes it's fun watching know it all people fall on their butts after not taking advice. 

I fell on my butt when I was younger and thought that I knew it all too. Through multiple butt falls is when one finally learns that those old codgers were right lol. 

I have become my parents but have enjoyed getting older, well, besides more pain. Being more wise is freeing. Being less worried about trends and what's popular in society saves one a lot of time and sanity. 

Cheers!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

According to the stereotype of the 'boomer' or older person, they have trouble adjusting to new experiences.  Yet, you just delved into VR if I remember correctly what you said awhile back. I've been meaning to ask you....how are you liking/not liking VR?

I guess I confirmed the stereotype...I hated it, and sent the VR gear back.  More details here:

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What surprised you? 

That you're a millenial.  Maybe I was thrown off by that shriveled apple forum avatar you used to use, or your hilarious knowledge and use of quaint British idioms.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kenkenc said:

Boomers killed SL. Drove off all the innovative, talented, imaginative younger scripters 10-15 years ago and turned it into Planet Bore.

Ruined SL with tacky clubs, tacky clothes, tacky sims, tacky art, tacky hair. SL Marketplace could be a catalogue from 1974. 

Fishing, line dancing and ballgowns, FFS. Michael Landon-meets-Conan The Barbarian avatars. Pathetic. 

Your post just got a permanent apartment in Planet Bore.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I guess I confirmed the stereotype...I hated it, and sent the VR gear back.

Oh no...that's too bad. I suspect it more has to do with what we prefer to focus on in virtual worlds vs how old someone is. I meet people of all ages in VR worlds. Personally, it's awfully intense and I only do it for short periods of time, and I tend to like experiences vs fast-paced games....and I do think that is a feature of being out of the childhood age-range.  Playing with my grandchild wears me out -- he is certainly in the present moment, and intensely so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That you're a millenial.  Maybe I was thrown off by that shriveled apple forum avatar you used to use, or your hilarious knowledge and use of quaint British idioms.

Oh, I thought you already knew!

Yeah, I do have a slightly antiquated turn of phrase, probably because I don't read much newer stuff. Rarely anything from after about 1990. It's not intentional, I just always have a list of books as long as my arm to get through and I'm more likely to choose stuff that's had people raving about it for longer. I do intend to get through the latest Hilary Mantel trilogy though. Also, I tend to find the older idioms just sound funnier for some reason. 

(That old avatar was a Vogon. I write poems.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kenkenc said:

Boomers killed SL. Drove off all the innovative, talented, imaginative younger scripters 10-15 years ago and turned it into Planet Bore.

Ruined SL with tacky clubs, tacky clothes, tacky sims, tacky art, tacky hair. SL Marketplace could be a catalogue from 1974. 

Fishing, line dancing and ballgowns, FFS. Michael Landon-meets-Conan The Barbarian avatars. Pathetic. 

Over-egged it. Name change and try again.

 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

That old avatar was a Vogon. I write poems.

Don't send me any. 

Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,

See if I don't!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

the older idioms just sound funnier

Oh my, yes!  I have a sweatshirt that says

"Trepudiate as though gongoozlers have absquatulated"

I leave the translation as an exercise for the advanced student.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm sorry, LittleMe, but I honestly don't see how that post of mine was offensive. Tolya was.... explaining to me that the term was meant to be dismissive towards something said by a boomer and implying that they're out of touch. I already understood this concept and didn't need it to be...explained to me. I don't actually know what I've said on this thread or anywhere else that might give that impression. I've been concerned with the Bye Felipe meme.

As it happens, I do know what it's like to be insulted for your generation. Millennial, after all. 

Actually, the only way you could truly understand it, Amina, is to have someone with half your life experience say it to you.  It's sort of like how a white person can claim they understand how the "n word" (far more offensive, obviously) makes a black person feel, when they really cannot.  On the flip side, Gen X-ers (or whatever), boomers, etc. CAN in fact understand how millennials feel being dismissed as "millennials", because the same thing happened to them 20 years ago, 40 years ago, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mollymews said:

OK Boomer is not so much a slur as a response to a behaviour

Thanks for this. Makes me feel better to think of it as a response to a behavior at that moment and not an assumption about entire generations of people.

I love listening to the advice, life experiences, and opinions of older generations and have tremendous respect for them. That doesn't mean "old people" and it doesn't mean I always follow the advice given. The conversations I have wind up becoming helpful to me. They work as another peg in the Plinko that is my neuron configuration.  I try to keep myself somewhat pliable.

Seeing "OK Boomer" everywhere has been difficult for me. Sucks to think that we would ever put a cap on humanity and the human experience by ignoring, categorizing or making assumptions about anyone. To imagine that people don't change and that everything we have in our heads will always be that way.

I hope it doesn't wind up silencing anyone. Now more than ever we need the combined IQ of the planet to get some things figured out.

Annnnnd I think it's time to change my playlist to something less sappy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, hell, I had a really good quip regarding Philip Rosedale and the comment above about how Boomers "ruined" SL. Except my punchline got screwed up when I learned Philip is Gen X. :::pouts:::

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Actually, the only way you could truly understand it, Amina, is to have someone with half your life experience say it to you.

While we might not completely understand another's experience unless we had the same exact one, we can understand it enough via our own experience so that it's relevant to the discussion at hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mollymews said:

OK Boomer is not so much a slur as a response to a behaviour

like a younger person explains a situation from their pov.  An older person then gensplains. Younger person: OK Boomer

gensplaining, like other forms of splaining, is where the older person doesn't actually listen. OK Boomer is a response to the gensplaining

Yeah, sorry, going to disagree with this one. You are absolutely correct that #OKBoomer was a response to a behavior and not a slur. And for the exact reason you stated. The #OKBoomer was a funny and appropriate response to cloddish behavior on the part of said Boomer. They were well-deserved. However, things rapidly morph on the Internet, and that well-deserved snark, which was akin to rolling your eyes, has become a diss and a slur. Some people do still use it as you described, but the vast majority of the comments now are mean-spirited and absolutely dismissive and ageist. 

Gensplaining goes both ways. Millennials, Xenials, Gen X, Boomers, are all guilty of having 'splained. (And women can mansplain :) )

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Actually, the only way you could truly understand it, Amina, is to have someone with half your life experience say it to you.  It's sort of like how a white person can claim they understand how the "n word" (far more offensive, obviously) makes a black person feel, when they really cannot.  On the flip side, Gen X-ers (or whatever), boomers, etc. CAN in fact understand how millennials feel being dismissed as "millennials", because the same thing happened to them 20 years ago, 40 years ago, etc.

Oh fgs. You...explained the concept to me as if I'd said anything on this thread to suggest I didn't get it. I responded by saying I know exactly how it's received because, well, it doesn't take a genius to grasp the notion. 

If what you actually meant, or are trying to say now, is "ah but you can never truly empathise with something you have not personally experienced in the exact same manner" then, well, you may be right but it's a separate issue. I know how it is received and I don't need any sort of splaining for it. I have no idea what I've said in this discussion to make you think otherwise. Anyway, plenty of people of all ages are full of s***. 

As it happens, a young person in a time of economic growth would actually have a very different experience to a young person in a time of war, recession or pandemic. Doesn't give any of them the right to be rude or patronising, but don't pretend they're all the same.

As it happens, the only time I've ever used the term "ok boomer" was in response to you telling me that being a millennial makes me incapable of sustaining long-term relationships. You called me Junior as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I'm not all that hip, but didn't that come from some movie like Boyz in the Hood?

Wrong movie. Pfft. It came from the movie Friday with Ice Cube and Chris Tucker. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Says the man who has been known to pepper his posts with really generous and expansive terms like "SJW" . . .

Actually, that is not at all a redefinition.  SJWs loudly proclaim they are fighting (which is what warriors do) for "social justice", so it's an apt term which, I suspect, they originally applied to themselves, as conservatives tend to be dullards when it comes to making up terms (although they really do meme far better than liberals).  I'm not sure why you would be insulted at the term.  It's sort of like being insulted by being called a card-carrying member of the ACLU - who isn't for civil liberties?  You really should own it.  Some actual redefinitions:

"Pro choice" - because nobody wants to say they are "pro prematurely and intentionally terminating pregnancies", and who wouldn't agree with being for choice (even when many of these folks aren't all that in favor of plenty of other rights to choose).

"Pro life" - because "anti-abortion" sounds so negative, and who would not agree with being "for life" (even when many of these folks aren't in favor of life when it comes to, say, capital punishment, or war).

"Gender" being used to replace "sexual orientation" when the word gender has, for centuries, specifically referred to either of the two biological sexes.

"Fiscal responsibility" - which apparently no longer has anything to do with responsible budget management.  Not really sure what it means nowadays, other than "I don't want to spend money on that", but it sure gets used a lot.

"Xenophobic" which no longer means "fear or dislike of people from other countries", but now means anything that puts the interest of your own country first, or could have a negative impact on people from another country, regardless of actual justification.

"Mainstream media" - which oddly is used by people who mean "anything but Fox", the most popular (hence mainstream) cable news network by a fair margin.

"Socialist" - when they really mean "capitalist economy with strong social programs like Denmark".

I could go on, but every time I put up another example (specifically like the first, third, fifth, and seventh) I can already hear the outraged typing of myopic people who are offended, and it's far too nice a day.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Wrong movie. Pfft. It came from the movie Friday with Ice Cube and Chris Tucker. 

If it didn't have lots of explosions, gunfire, and gratuitous nudity, I likely never saw it.

 

10 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Oh fgs. You...explained the concept to me as if I'd said anything on this thread to suggest I didn't get it. I responded by saying I know exactly how it's received because, well, it doesn't take a genius to grasp the notion. 

If what you actually meant, or are trying to say now, is "ah but you can never truly empathise with something you have not personally experienced in the exact same manner" then, well, you may be right but it's a separate issue. I know how it is received and I don't need any sort of splaining for it. I have no idea what I've said in this discussion to make you think otherwise. Anyway, plenty of people of all ages are full of s***. 

As it happens, a young person in a time of economic growth would actually have a very different experience to a young person in a time of war, recession or pandemic. Doesn't give any of them the right to be rude or patronising, but don't pretend they're all the same.

As it happens, the only time I've ever used the term "ok boomer" was in response to you telling me that being a millennial makes me incapable of sustaining long-term relationships. You called me Junior as well. 

Ah here we go with people misrepresenting what I said, whether intentionally or not.  The instance you are referring to I specifically said that since you are young you MAY not have experience with long-term committed relationships, which is not at all the same as "incapable of sustaining them."  If you're going to get upset at something I say, you may as well read it accurately, then I will not need to repeatedly splain it to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole generational grouping thing is my peeve, and I've typed about it several times. The whole grouping definitions are BS and arbitrary and only provide a minimal amount of usefulness and a lot more problems. The Boomer generation is so sweepingly large that you can have parents and their children being Boomers! The experiences of one end of the spectrum are far different from the other. Tail-end Boomers never went to Vietnam, never wore a poodle skirt, listened to Fleetwood Mac and disco in college (or could have, don't seque this into a disco sucks comment). My bff was born in 1986 and is technically a Millennial, and while he shows a tad of the stereotypical traits, he 95% doesn't and I don't think he's an outlier. As has been said in this thread, grouping people into large group and doing a them/us is destructive and stupid. 

I have read here in the forum in various places lately that "older" people just get set in their ways. I have found the opposite to be often true. It depends on the individual. Concept. And have you never run into a younger person who was so dead set that their point of view was the only one, ever? I have. If you are over 45 you're not supposed to be able to learn a computer, or understand how email works... ha. effing. ha.

I've seen ageism be so detrimental in the workplace, at all parts of the generational groupings, because of these stupid stereotypes these effing groupings have caused. While I know that often there is a kernel of truth hiding in stereotypes the overwhelming reality is not. A boss can't be a good boss because she's 30 and therefore a selfish twit who is interested only in avocados. Another person can't be promoted because, well, he's old and won't get the software. FFS. 

</rant> for now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Yeah, sorry, going to disagree with this one. You are absolutely correct that #OKBoomer was a response to a behavior and not a slur. And for the exact reason you stated. The #OKBoomer was a funny and appropriate response to cloddish behavior on the part of said Boomer. They were well-deserved. However, things rapidly morph on the Internet, and that well-deserved snark, which was akin to rolling your eyes, has become a diss and a slur. Some people do still use it as you described, but the vast majority of the comments now are mean-spirited and absolutely dismissive and ageist. 

Gensplaining goes both ways. Millennials, Xenials, Gen X, Boomers, are all guilty of having 'splained. (And women can mansplain :) )

If a woman mansplains, is it transplaining, or womansplaing?  Or is it genderappropriationsplaining?  Before today I'd never heard of "gensplaining" so I want to make sure I understang this new lingo.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...