Mesh Attaching Incorrectly

Karriianna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Certain pieces of mesh clothing, mostly tops (shirts, sweaters, and the like) default attach to my HUD *****s, and not my body slots. So I go to put on a shirt, do the ol' right click, and select Add, and 9.5 times out of ten it will attach to the Top HUD slot. This, as you can imagine, causes me quite a few problems. Like, big problems involving me turning up in public sims fully dressed on my screen, but topless to everyone else. 

I've been able to work around it for the most part. Remembering to select Attach to and then selecting a proper spot for it to go. It's annoying, but has worked; as this problem has been occurring for quite a while now. Months, if not longer than a year. Only, I've recently gotten a gadget to help making getting dressed easier. Click a button, slaps an outfit on me. Really neat and makes things easier. Only I can't use it because it attaches my tops to the HUD slot. 

Is there any way to set a default attachment point? Or any other way to fix this problem. Any help would be great. 

13 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, Karriianna said:

Certain pieces of mesh clothing, mostly tops (shirts, sweaters, and the like) default attach to my HUD *****s, and not my body slots.

I ran into this problem myself with one particular item. No matter how many times I added it to various attachment point it always reset to one of the top HUD slots.

It turned out it was only one specific copy of the item that misbehaved though so the solution was simple: make a new copy from backup (always keep backups of everything you wear or rez!).

The default attachment position is the right hand.  Test yours:  Rez a cube, Take it into your inventory.  Right click it and choose Add.  It should attach to your right hand.

If it attaches somewhere else, somehow you've managed to change the default attachment point.  I'm not sure how to fix this...contact support for whatever viewer you are using.

If the cube attaches correctly, the problem is with your mesh items.  Almost all mesh creators use the default right hand attachment point (darn it!) but if your stuff is not doing that, contact the creator(s).

Once an item has been attached to any particular point, it "remembers" that point and will re-attach there.  To change it, right click the item in inventory, choose Attach To > desired point.  You will have to also edit its position to get it correctly oriented.  When done, detach it.  Now, Add it again...it should attach to the new position.

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Once an item has been attached to any particular point, it "remembers" that point and will re-attach there.  To change it, right click the item in inventory, choose Attach To > desired point.

That's how it's supposed to work but I can confirm that the problem the OP describes exists although I've only seen it once myself.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I ran into this problem myself with one particular item. No matter how many times I added it to various attachment point it always reset to one of the top HUD slots.

It turned out it was only one specific copy of the item that misbehaved though so the solution was simple: make a new copy from backup (always keep backups of everything you wear or rez!).

I got a new version of one of my tops and tried it. At first it seemed to work, but once I moved the top into the folder where I keep all my outfits, it defaulted back to the Top HUD slot. 

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The default attachment position is the right hand.  Test yours:  Rez a cube, Take it into your inventory.  Right click it and choose Add.  It should attach to your right hand.

If it attaches somewhere else, somehow you've managed to change the default attachment point.  I'm not sure how to fix this...contact support for whatever viewer you are using.

If the cube attaches correctly, the problem is with your mesh items.  Almost all mesh creators use the default right hand attachment point (darn it!) but if your stuff is not doing that, contact the creator(s).

Once an item has been attached to any particular point, it "remembers" that point and will re-attach there.  To change it, right click the item in inventory, choose Attach To > desired point.  You will have to also edit its position to get it correctly oriented.  When done, detach it.  Now, Add it again...it should attach to the new position.

The cube defaulted to my hand, after trying it 30 times. Okay, well not 30, but close enough honestly >.<

So it seems that getting a new delivery of the top only works when the item is in the original folder. When it's in there, it attaches correctly. Once I move it, copy and move it, or anything else, it will start to default to the incorrect position.

For now I am going to simply keep my outfits in their original folders that is created when I unpack them, and use links for moving to easier to find folders. I will also bring this up with Firestorm, both inworld with their support group and on their site; to see if this problem is caused by the viewer or not. But as for now, thank you. Might not have fixed my problem, but has provided me with a work around that will get my gadget to work properly for now.

Now I just need to go and do this with about 100 outfits... yay me....

After Animal Crossing though... Flick finally showed up on my island for the first time and I have about 200 tarantulas and a few dozen scorpions to sell him!

That's some good troubleshootin', Karriianna!

One other thing to test...try using the standard Linden Lab viewer, and see if the problem occurs when you move inventory items.  If so, I would start to think something is wrong with the SL infrastructure, and you should contact LL Support and file a JIRA issue.

If not, then it's almost certainly something in the Firestorm viewer.  The next step would be to do a clean reinstall of Firestorm.  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_clean_install

Oh...one other question.  When you say that you "move your top into your outfits folder" do you mean that you actually move the item into the system folder called "Outfits"?  If so, do NOT do that.  The Outfits folder is supposed to never contain actual items, only links. 

36 minutes ago, Karriianna said:

So it seems that getting a new delivery of the top only works when the item is in the original folder.

Come to think of it, the item I had simialr problems with was in a folder named "Top". As convoluted as the SL Viwer's code seems to be, it wouldn't surprise me at al if it has trouble keeping track of what is folder name and what is attachment point...

11 hours ago, Karriianna said:

Certain pieces of mesh clothing, mostly tops (shirts, sweaters, and the like) default attach to my HUD *****s, and not my body slots. So I go to put on a shirt, do the ol' right click, and select Add, and 9.5 times out of ten it will attach to the Top HUD slot. This, as you can imagine, causes me quite a few problems. Like, big problems involving me turning up in public sims fully dressed on my screen, but topless to everyone else. 

I've been able to work around it for the most part. Remembering to select Attach to and then selecting a proper spot for it to go. It's annoying, but has worked; as this problem has been occurring for quite a while now. Months, if not longer than a year. Only, I've recently gotten a gadget to help making getting dressed easier. Click a button, slaps an outfit on me. Really neat and makes things easier. Only I can't use it because it attaches my tops to the HUD slot. 

Is there any way to set a default attachment point? Or any other way to fix this problem. Any help would be great. 

I am putting this here in case anyone else comes across this problem as I did. I believe I have found the cause. At least for now.

It seems to have been folder stacking. Too deep in and things get jumbled, I guess. The way I had my folder set up was I had placed a new folder just for clothes near the top of my inventory, then I made sub folders for each outfit, and then made sub folders for each piece of clothing in that outfit. In case I wanted to mix and match. Here is an example: Clothing>Bikini>Top (bikini top in here)>Bottoms (bikini bottoms in here). So they were stacked fairly deep.

It seems making a single sub folder, with all items of the clothing in that sub folder, has solved this issue. At least for the two outfits I just tested it with. 

Hopefully this remains like this, and hopefully this might help someone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karriianna said:

I am putting this here in case anyone else comes across this problem as I did. I believe I have found the cause. At least for now.

It seems to have been folder stacking. Too deep in and things get jumbled, I guess. The way I had my folder set up was I had placed a new folder just for clothes near the top of my inventory, then I made sub folders for each outfit, and then made sub folders for each piece of clothing in that outfit. In case I wanted to mix and match. Here is an example: Clothing>Bikini>Top (bikini top in here)>Bottoms (bikini bottoms in here). So they were stacked fairly deep.

It seems making a single sub folder, with all items of the clothing in that sub folder, has solved this issue. At least for the two outfits I just tested it with. 

Hopefully this remains like this, and hopefully this might help someone else. 

Odd that that would cause your issue. 

Many of the clothing items I wear are nestled multiple folders deep -- 3, 4, 5, sometimes even 6 levels in, like this:
  !  Avatar Wear > Clothes > Individual Items > Underclothes > Panties > Mesh > underwear-item

I've never had an item have attachment issues like what you've described. I've even moved items and folders around, renamed things, etc... after creating the outfit, without having any problems.

22 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Come to think of it, the item I had simialr problems with was in a folder named "Top". As convoluted as the SL Viwer's code seems to be, it wouldn't surprise me at al if it has trouble keeping track of what is folder name and what is attachment point...

In the heydays of RLV this was a feature. Have a folder or item partly named like an attach point the item(s) would be put on the addressed attach point. But haven't really encountered that in ages. And I don't think it really was ever to work outside the #RLV folder hierarchy. Of course you'd expect the official SL viewer to be entirely immune to that effect.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Protocol/RestrainedLifeAPI#Shared_Folders

So i'm running into this issue myself and i am not understanding it. All my other mesh clothes i've made have 0 problems, bodysuits, skirts , dresses etc. Does anyone know the cause or a resolution?

i did the folder thing just made 1 folder in my inventory (previously it had been moved to a sub folder ) and now its attaching fine.....i am the one who made and rigged this top and im not seeing anywhere a fix or an issue of this on the creator end....im at a loss

Edited by Foxxiey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.