How Does Owning Land Work? Tier+Monthly?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I'm sure this is a stupid question, as google tells me many things... but I still don't understand how owning land works. To own a full region you pay $350 upfront, then $230 a month to maintain it, right? So... where does Tier come in? Do I have to pay $175 PLUS the $230? Or is it the same thing?

Thank you in advance for help!

Ummm, just saying... is that an example or are you really considering to get a full sim right away, while still fiddling with the basic steps?

Land can be one of the most expensive toys to play with. Rather go slowly and read a lot of the availble info on land, right here in the forums or in inworld classes.

• Like 2

You need Tier to be able to hold mainland. ( you don't actually pay for having the land, but to be able to have it) paid afterwards
You pay rent to rent partial private regions .. or when you rent from a mainland landlord but don't own mainland. paid upfront
You pay Maintenance Fee if you own full regions, including homesteads and Openspace regions.

As Lillith already said .. ask yourself if you really need a full region as start..  and also,  Maintenance fees and Tier are subject to VAT for non USA countries.

• Like 1

You can also rent a full region or homestead region. In the case of a full region it means you don't have to pay up front. You have nearly full estate powers over the region you rent. I suggest trying that first if you're serious about buying a region. It will give you a feel for what it takes to run one. By the way, unless you hire people you'll need to learn to terraform to make the region look the way you want it to, and you'll be spending a lot of Lindens buying content to put on the region. I rented parts of a region for nearly 10 years before I bought one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

really? never found such landlord, renting is normally always upfront

Sorry, I meant that you don't have to pay LL $350 up front. You can get the use of a region without the initial payment to purchase it.

You can also rent for a shorter period than a month, so if you decide a full region is too much you're not out a lot of L$.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
another stray thought
  • Like 1

Strictly speaking, "tier" only applies to the ownership of Mainland.  If you buy an entire Private Region, it is not Mainland.  You pay the initial setup fee, and then you pay LL a monthly fee (LL calls it a "maintenance fee") of $229 USD.

If you own Mainland, then you pay a monthly fee based on the greatest amount of land you own in any billing period, figured according to the Tier Table.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO @SugarSalNova:

If you are considering buying your own region, you should consider doing a transfer of an existing region between the current owner and yourself.  This may save you some money up front, but it also gives you the opportunity to inherit a "grandfathered" region.  Grandfathered regions pay a lower monthly fee ($179 vs. $229).  It costs an additional up-front fee to transfer this grandfathered status, but if you own the region for a bit over a year, the savings pay for the additional up front cost.  Over time, you will save a lot of money this way.  It is important to follow the transfer process correctly; do NOT pay any money directly to the seller.  Here's the process:  https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/private-regions-r59/#Section_3_2

And here is where to find people who want to transfer their regions: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/284-regions-for-sale-full-private-island/

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.