Female Mesh Body

Damian Mills

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone.  I'm trying to setup a friend's avatar and I picked up the free catwa head and I went to get a Lara body to go with it and... Maitreya is closed?  I went to the sim and it appears abandoned.  Am I missing something?

If not and Maitreya is really out of business, then what I need is a recommendation on bodies.  The primary consideration here is access to a wide variety of clothing.  As secondary considerations...

• BOM capable... ideally with the onion skin layers detachable and without using any sort of relay hud.
  • Solid mesh...  I don't know which female body it is, but I routinely see women at clubs with partially rezzed, triangle bodies.  This body is, apparently, quite popular but whoever designed it did a very poor job with LOD.  That sort of thing is unacceptable.
  • Not super curvy.  The friend in question has a slim figure in RL and retains it in SL.  So no giant butts or breasts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damian Mills said:

Hello everyone.  I'm trying to setup a friend's avatar and I picked up the free catwa head and I went to get a Lara body to go with it and... Maitreya is closed?  I went to the sim and it appears abandoned.  Am I missing something?

Which region did you go to there are two regions with the same name one on mainland named Maitreya and Maitreya Isle which is where the store is the region might be down for a while for a restart but i wouldn't expect it to be permanently closed ................yet

If you want a human body with a wide variety of clothing, the choices are really Slink (hourglass), Maitreya, and Belleza (freya).

Maitreya is still very much in business, but I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you to demo all three before buying one!

You should demo more than those three.  There is a lot out there now, besides those three.  And it's easier to fit slink physique than hourglass -- i have slink.  I like it a lot.  it's a very neutral, human shape (great proportions).  Not all mesh bodies come with great proportions.  I'd try a bunch.  And the HUDs are also very different from body to body. 

Freya and Hourglass are great choices if you want to be super voluptuous.  If you want to be average (and even somewhat above average curvy), I would consider other bodies, even in the same manufacturers.  The super voluptuous look can be hard to fit clothing, but if you're going to spend lots of time naked, it may be perfect.  It really is worth experimenting with lots of different options.

ebody and altamura have the advantage of truly free (not demo) bodies that you can wear out of the box.

So if your friend isn't sure how much they are ready to invest, one of these will allow you to experiment and see what you like.  The ebody free HUD is easiest to use of all of the freebies and it is very well thought out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Damian Mills said:

If not and Maitreya is really out of business, then what I need is a recommendation on bodies.  The primary consideration here is access to a wide variety of clothing.  As secondary considerations...

• BOM capable... ideally with the onion skin layers detachable and without using any sort of relay hud.
  • Solid mesh...  I don't know which female body it is, but I routinely see women at clubs with partially rezzed, triangle bodies.  This body is, apparently, quite popular but whoever designed it did a very poor job with LOD.  That sort of thing is unacceptable.
  • Not super curvy.  The friend in question has a slim figure in RL and retains it in SL.  So no giant butts or breasts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't want super curvy, I would avoid the curvy bodies such as Belezza freya and slink hourglass and ebody curvy.  

Those bodies are great for the beach, but if you're a person who wants clothing that is easy, then you're best off with a slim body.  More clothing is made for Maitreya and Slink than other bodies, but ebody, altamura and bellezza have little trouble finding clothing that fits well.  Most Slink shoes fit all those bodies except Maitreya and most free shoes in SL are slink.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Nobody makes clothes for either of these. He specifically listed clothes as a consideration.

I have never had trouble finding clothing that fits either and I have both. There are more and more people (including some of the bigger stores that are actively updating their clothing) are making clothing specific to both bodies, but the decent proportions and the great HUDs of both bodies make it easy to fit pretty much any fitmesh and if you don't do huge breasts, some five sized clothing fits fine too.  I find that clothing made for slink tends to fit best but maitreya or one of the others occasionally fits better.

5 minutes ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

I have never had trouble finding clothing that fits either and I have both. There are more and more people (including some of the bigger stores that are actively updating their clothing) are making clothing specific to both bodies, but the decent proportions and the great HUDs of both bodies make it easy to fit pretty much any fitmesh and if you don't do huge breasts, some five sized clothing fits fine too.  I find that clothing made for slink tends to fit best but maitreya or one of the others occasionally fits better.

The vast majority of the top tier designers - the ones who make the blogs and social media feeds, the ones in events - don't design for either body. And much of what is available for either comes from those full-perm template designers, with a texture added by the shop that sells them. It's not high-quality original mesh, by and large. Also, a person who has a mesh body will want close fitting things like lingerie and swimsuits - and using an alpha HUD on either of those things is a mess most of the time.

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 2

I have to admit that I don't really care about events or high fashion all that much.  SL is a lot more than 'top tier' design events. 

I could dress my avi for free forever if I wanted to, and look decent, though I wouldn't have all the bells and whistles out there, I could have a lot of decent stuff -- yes, even with altamura or ebody.

I guess it will depend on why this person is in SL.  If their friend is customizing their body, I suspect their interest in lots of fancy fashion is not that high.  In my experience, most females who are interested in fashion will want to do that customization and choosing for themselves.  To each his own. There's no wrong or right answer, but there are a lot of options out there and I think it's sad to lock people into one idea even if it works for US.  We've given him options. He will then go and do what he wants and use whatever of our answers suit him best or ignore them. 

The nice thing about both ebody and altamura is that there are free nearly FULLY functional bodies that are much more than demos that they can use for extended periods if they want to figure out what works for them. 

As he's stated that she wants to be a slender person with a slim avatar, most of the well made bodies will probably work. 

Decent options include: Belezza, Slink, ebody, Altamura, tonic and more.

Edited by DeepBlueJoy

Thank you all for the help.  If Maitreya is still in business that’s where I’ll go largely due to brands like erratic.

insofar as “solid mesh” next time I’m at Muddy’s I’ll just find out which major body maker has failed so utterly with their LOD and avoid that one.

Regarding shape, my contribution to this is to try to use the Freya  head and some body to exactly duplicate her existing mesh head and classic body.  So I will know right away if a given body works or not.  

it sounds like my picks, in order of fashion availability (which is the entire purpose of this upgrade anyway) are Lara, slink, Freya.

Edited by Damian Mills
  • Like 2

Slink Hourglass is in the top market availability. Slink Physique - the slimmer shape - is not that much supported anymore. Anyone who cares for a slimmer shape uses Maitreya. Belleza Freya is also very curvy, with a more pendulous breast shape than either of the other two. Support for the other two Belleza bodies is spotty, as well.

Keeping up with the Kardashians seems to be the primary aesthetic for a lot of SL body shapes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Damian Mills said:

Thank you all for the help.  If Maitreya is still in business that’s where I’ll go largely due to brands like erratic.

insofar as “solid mesh” next time I’m at Muddy’s I’ll just find out which major body maker has failed so utterly with their LOD and avoid that one.

Regarding shape, my contribution to this is to try to use the Freya  head and some body to exactly duplicate her existing mesh head and classic body.  So I will know right away if a given body works or not.  

it sounds like my picks, in order of fashion availability (which is the entire purpose of this upgrade anyway) are Lara, slink, Freya.

I think your picks are in the correct order if you want fashion availability and a slim figure. My avatar has a Maitreya body (Genus head, although I've used Lelutka and AK in the past with good results... Catwa didn't give me the look I wanted. The Genus is the most "mooshable" imho. But then you're not looking for a head.) My avatar definitely doesn't have big boobs or butt. You run into trouble if you try to make a relatively small cup size as the boobs start looking like deflated balloons. Compared with a lot of avatars, though, the Maitreya does let you go "slight" by SL definitions.

cyprian 032020_003.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I think your picks are in the correct order if you want fashion availability and a slim figure. My avatar has a Maitreya body (Genus head, although I've used Lelutka and AK in the past with good results... Catwa didn't give me the look I wanted. The Genus is the most "mooshable" imho. But then you're not looking for a head.) My avatar definitely doesn't have big boobs or butt. You run into trouble if you try to make a relatively small cup size as the boobs start looking like deflated balloons. Compared with a lot of avatars, though, the Maitreya does let you go "slight" by SL definitions.

Can you get Genus?

5 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

This is not true, they make their own clothing. And they are lovely clothes.

One brand making clothes for their own proprietary mesh body is not what this person is asking for. 

The primary consideration here is access to a wide variety of clothing.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Excuse me, but I beg to differ there are tons of clothing options available for BOTH previously mentioned. As well as Lara clothing usually fits Alt. AND is BOM. 

The question you are answering is not the question he asked. Advice only works if it gives the person what they want, not what you think they should have. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

No one makes clothes for that.

Your wrong! and right!..no creator creates clothing for it specifically for it .. but... it fits thousands of maitreya or slink clothing..plenty of free demos to see what will work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.