Special Adult Swim viewer?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From a Strawberry Linden post:

"Whether you are new to Second Life or a returning resident, you’ll need a special Viewer to see the Adult Swim live video stream in Second Life and participate in this event. Download the all-new limited-edition beta version of the Second Life Viewer in advance of the event to ensure that you are ready. Please note that other Viewers will not be compatible with the live stream during the screening event! "

WTF?

What does it do? The release notes are blank. Is this really necessary? Is this some kind of digital rights management thing, or what?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

What does it do, simple it gives tpv viewer users the finger. Showing how little LL cares for tpv users. And probably a form of drm which is their right to add to SL if they feel like it to prevent unwanted sharing of videos outside of the event.

No. Any Viewer is free to merge these changes. Just no one hasnt yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i'd think it should have a higher priority to solve the problems around the higher usercount ( and other things).

MP slides down hill
inworld less performance
huge rise of failures on the websites
and not least:  Support in a total melt down

but no.. sprarkle and bling first.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 5

Not long ago somebody, I do not recall whom, was in this forum busting LL's chops for letting CEF get out of date, causing some media to fail to play and some web services to malfunction.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:47 PM, NiranV Dean said:

No. Any Viewer is free to merge these changes. Just no one hasnt yet.

Yes! Exactly that (probably).  Are we allowed to yet @NiranV Dean? I'm never sure, and as I've never seen a "limited editiion" viewer before I have no idea what that means for TPVs and "shared experience". My guess is we probably can, I really don't know though.

As for the conspiracy theories that to to get conjured up, this is just, as Niran, pointed out, a "rush" release of the updated CEF viewer, brought forward like this to enable the Lab to promote this event. This is a positive step in the general health and vitality of the grid, drawing in more people. It is a little sad that people will have to use an unfamiliar viewer and that it does (by definition) exclude Linux users but it is undoubtedly a positive step for SL.

We'll have these changes in TPVs as and when they are available for us (which may or may not be now). For FS that means we will sweep it into one of our normal scheduled releases, for viewers like Niran's with a higher release cadence (more frequent updates) it'll be there as soon as he is happy that it plays nice with other things and feels a new release is warranted. 

@Ardy Lay there have been two separate issues and it sounds like that thread conflated them, on one hand "older" CEF has a history of security vulnerabilities that get patched but of course unless you are tracking those updates you won't have the fixes, hopefully this version cleans that up a biut by bringing things to a mroe recent version (who knows?) the other problem is broken video content, which is down to the explicit restriction of the codecs that could be used due to legal concerns over copyright infringement. The Lab have been working to find an appropriate way to ensure that video content can be played with legal codecs and this viewer is the first exposure of that.

Irrespective of the status of TPVs and this "special" it will be promoted to a standard release at some point soon(tm) after which TPVs will definitely be able to start to include it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I can answer the issue of merging code. As I understand it TPVs are not given the code until a Linden viewer is released in full.  Calling this release a Beta might be a subtle finger to the TPV devs.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.