How do I retrieve an object buried under my house?

valerie Inshan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I keep being annoyed by a waves sound emitter which was forgotten on the ground before I rezzed my house. How can I locate it without removing the building? Thank you.

(my house is not even close to the beach! :smileyvery-happy:)

EDIT: WOW!!! You all guys have been fantastic! I have tried all your tips and you know what? Almost ALL of them worked! (I use Phoenix). I finally got this damned emitter! Thanks and kudos for everyone!

:smileyhappy:

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

Ah, the soothing sounds of the waves...

If the object contains scripts, you should be able to go to about land, then goto the script status window (the button in the lower left hand corner  - I don't remember the label...). You should be able to see the object in the window, and if I'm not mistaken, be able to return it to yourself from there. I don't have the viewer at hand atm, so perhaps I remenber this wrong....

- Luc -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Build > Options > Select Only My Objects (unless it isn't yours of course)
  • ctrl-3 to open edit window
  • draw a box around where you think it is to select everything in that area
  • ctrl-click on things selected that you don't want included (like the house)

What's left is the junk

• Like 2

You should be able to cam under the building and see it, even camming inside the prims if it is burried within the prims of the floor, try using the camera controls like alt+click, ctrl+alt+click and ctrl+alt+shift+click all while moving the mouse to get your camera in under the house and find the item.  Sound emitters are often transparent so I suggest that you use ctrl+alt+t to highlight transparent while doing this.

If you find yourself unable to get at the object using this method the other option is to use a viewer like Phoenix that includes the ability to "derender" an object (Derender means do not draw on the screen basically) that will completely hide the floor of the house so you can get at what is underneith, note in Phoenix you will then have to remove it from the Asset Blacklist in the Phoenix menu to make your house reappear when you are done.

If those tips don't help please come back and edit your post using the options drop down menu on your post tn Edit Post to let us know so that we can try and offer other suggestions.

• Like 1

Try CTRL + Alt + N to open the selection window to show Beacons, then choose Sounds.  It should highlight any sound sources with red, so you can see where they are.  Toggle it off again when you are done and have removed the sound emitter.

• Like 3

Hello Valerie! Please try this solution. Go to your SL Main Menu and click on "Advanced" >> "Rendering" >> "Types" >> "Ground"

Once you click off the X beside the "Ground" choice, all ground around you becomes invisible! :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Then it should be easy to see anything under your house.

If you don't see it then, click on "Highlight Transparent" under "View" as already suggested.

Alternate Method:

You can also likely locate such an item under "World" >> "Region/Estate" >> "Debug" >> "Get Top Scripts"

Unless you have 500+ scripted items there (like me :matte-motes-stress:) it should be easy to select it from this list and delete/return the item also... but my first method is probably easiest anyway so try that first!

Best of luck :matte-motes-whistle:

WADE1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If an object is covered by another object, or embedded within it, the easiest way to see and move the hidden object is to use the "hide selected" feature in the Advanced menu.

V2.x method: Advanced Menu > Highlighting and Visibility > Hide selected

V1.x method: Advanced Menu > Rendering > Hide selected

With Hide Selected checked, any selected prims will be de-rendered, visible only as their selected edges, and remaining prims may be clicked on as if the currently-selected prims were not there. So open the Build tools while this is checked, and click on the floor of the house. It will become nothing but highlighted prim edges. Now look on the ground for that wave emitter. (You may also have to activate Highlight Transparent to see the emitter.) Click on the emitter, and now it is selected (and de-rendered) and the house returns to normal. Use the arrows for the selected object to move it away from the prims that were hiding it. Quit editing for a moment, and uncheck Hide Selected. Now the moved hidden item can easily be dealt with.

This method is also incredibly handy for locating stray unlinked prims in a project that you are building. The unlinked prims will be "left behind" when the linked prims for the rest are de-rendered, and can be added to the selection by shift-clicking, or by clicking on the stray prim and then shift-clicking to add the main linked set, then linking them together.

I use this trick all the time to locate and move things like pictures that accidentally got pushed inside a wall, or rugs that got lowered into the floor. It's a lot easier than camming inside or under the obscuring prims.

• Like 1

Great seeing all the ways people search for stuff , I`m gonna kudo the thread so hopefully it gets seen too.

For something small and invisible as I suspect a wave sound emitter is, I would switch on the sound beacon like Rolig suggested and then point my cam down on the floor over it and drag a selection box to grab it, then lift it up through the floor and take it.

• Like 1

Someone here will remember a thread about *other things* lost under houses. Haha! I should dig through the archive and paste it here. But, can't bring myself to use such exotic search words. Lol!

Maybe someone else will. Or at least the memory of it made someone else chuckle too.

Sorry Valerie, I hope this doesnt derail your thread!

Okay did another incredibly stupid noob thing.  I got a horse and all was going great until we went off into the water.  It didnt swim.  It went straight to bottom and no amount of walking, trying to fly it out while riding it, hitting to to home seems to work.  It is an ABC retired horse just for riding.  Any thoughts I am at my last thoughts. 

Edited by pwrofwhy
Reading all your post I figured it out. Sorry be such a dumb noob

4 hours ago, pwrofwhy said:

Okay did another incredibly stupid noob thing.  I got a horse and all was going great until we went off into the water.  It didnt swim.  It went straight to bottom and no amount of walking, trying to fly it out while riding it, hitting to to home seems to work.  It is an ABC retired horse just for riding.  Any thoughts I am at my last thoughts. 

try taking it back into inventory...

or edit it and move it out

• Like 1

On 5/18/2011 at 8:11 PM, WADE1 Jya said:

Hello Valerie! Please try this solution. Go to your SL Main Menu and click on "Advanced" >> "Rendering" >> "Types" >> "Ground"

Once you click off the X beside the "Ground" choice, all ground around you becomes invisible! :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Then it should be easy to see anything under your house.

If you don't see it then, click on "Highlight Transparent" under "View" as already suggested.

Alternate Method:

You can also likely locate such an item under "World" >> "Region/Estate" >> "Debug" >> "Get Top Scripts"

Unless you have 500+ scripted items there (like me :matte-motes-stress:) it should be easy to select it from this list and delete/return the item also... but my first method is probably easiest anyway so try that first!

Best of luck :matte-motes-whistle:

WADE1

Didn't think a 9 years old post would help me now. THANK YOU!! I found my hot tube finally!!! Yayyy!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.