Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Long story short, i can't have my meshbody BOM, because my system body explodes as soon as i take off the alpha.

I think I'm doing something really silly, and the solution is in front of my eyes but i can't see it. 

I'm using [CLASSIC] Meshbody (f) Gift Edition (1.2.1) from The Shops!, but this error happens with ABAR - eBODY CURVY - BOX - FREE VERSION (and classic too)....

I'm using Firestorm in the latest update, and Windows 10.

The 2 PCs i use are really great to run SL, but of course, i have a little lag.. But I know is not the issue here.

I started this from the reset defaut female avatar, several times, but still can't do it.

 

In this picture below you can see i have nothing else in my avie.

1_001-min.thumb.png.0903076bf7a8305c8b22ba0ee786d7a4.png

Next:

2_001-min.thumb.png.b8e29a448083e5c6bfd46830a34024fa.png

I took off everything i could, then, I put on what was needed in the classic meshbody: first the alpha, then body, feets and hands.  At last, the HUD as you can clearly see, it is redish, and i don't get it.  Has something to do with this whole thing?  I don't know. 

7_001.png.fd74612b85a9f9f93e8e6ff7ff6a8964.png

Above you can see in graphics, that allowed what the hud needed to display.

Next:

3_001-min.thumb.png.79097e638444155fd6c01affc6e42a26.png

I clicked on "apply BOM", and of course, body dissapeared and hands and feets are red.  What was expected.

Then:

4_001-min.thumb.png.ab8ee20c1a0a383f768c708dd5c2d581.png

The body appeared.  Great!.. But as you can see, it is the default skin, and i don't want it...  So i need to click on some of the skins the HUD already has:

5-min.thumb.png.04068cb454b89807eb7821acb0868008.png

In the picture above, i pointed out to the eyes, I meant the skin.  There are stuff I can´t take off.  System/classic skin can't be taken off..
So you can see in the circle that i want that skin, so the nex step would be click on it? right? So I did, and this is what happened:

6_001-min.thumb.png.cdef5b08273d20e8b163f14ab51afeca.png

My system body exploded. 

I have the free Genus strong face, and i have a revoul skin (it has the tattoo and applier to be used) but I'm not using it because would be a real mess!  I need to discover what is happening.

 

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Elisaisabel Munro
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

BOM stands for "Avatar Bakes On Mesh." The Avatar is silent.

"Bakes" refer to the "baked" or "combined" textures on your base LL body.

If you want to use BOM, you can't use any texture appliers on your mesh body's skin. You must use system layers to alter the look of your avatar's skin (and tattoos, etc).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

BOM stands for "Avatar Bakes On Mesh." The Avatar is silent.

Bakes refer to the "baked" or "combined" textures on your base LL body.

If you want to use BOM, you cannot use any appliers on your mesh body. You must use system layers to alter the look of your avatar's skin (and tattoos, etc).

As you can see in all the pictures i uploaded, I'm not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:

As you can see in all the pictures i uploaded, I'm not.

You are. You clicked the HUD to apply a skin texture. That overrides BOM.

9 minutes ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:

But as you can see, it is the default skin, and i don't want it...  So i need to click on some of the skins the HUD already has:

This is a mistake.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

BOM uses system skins; not the body skins. I think by clicking a body skin you are over-riding the BOM setting. If you want to use the body skin, you will need to put the alpha layer on.

For giggles, go here and get the Stay at Home skin. If the Genus face is also BOM, setting the head and the body to use BOM, and wearing the Behance skin, you should not explode. If that does it, then the next step is finding a BOM skin you like.

This is assuming I'm following your problem correctly. It's been a long week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both for replying!
I only recognized the applyers as the ones you buy in a skin store, not the ones that came with the mesh bodies...

 

What I'm finding intriguing is why merchants are still selling appliers? It is CERO complicated to use a system skin.  When you buy a skin, in reality, is just skin for your mesh head, not your whole body.. then you have to buy an extra applyer for the body or the omega.. and that's when a newbie get lost, and I'm not a newbie but I've never like the appliers, mostly because i like to use my system head for my main body and no new skin has a classic version.
For this avie I'm trying so hard to get an african skin that is farely cheap... So it will be a difficult search.

I'm going to pick myself up from the changing room and see that link

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:

What I'm finding intriguing is why merchants are still selling appliers?

BOM came out last year -- August ish. So, there's a solid 7 years of "we did it this way because we had to." Someone more familiar with the skin scene can probably say if there is anything better about a skin and applier made for a specific body or head vs a BOM.

I am not sure how many of the big skin creators are moving to BOM also.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Rudegerus Osterham said:

BOM came out last year -- August ish. So, there's a solid 7 years of "we did it this way because we had to." Someone more familiar with the skin scene can probably say if there is anything better about a skin and applier made for a specific body or head vs a BOM.

I am not sure how many of the big skin creators are moving to BOM also.

When it comes to appliers for a specific body, that's the ideal case because it means the texture is probably made with a template of that specific body.

When it comes to "universal" appliers like Omega, there's only downsides compared to BOM. Omega does not make the textures universal, the only thing special about Omega is that it can talk to multiple bodies at once. The textures were still made with some specific template -- either a specific mesh body or just the base LL body. The texture will only match one body as perfectly as the creator made it, while the others will have at least minor defects.

An easy example if you have Maitreya and Belleza bodies: Get your Omega applier and apply it to both bodies, then look at the toes.

TLDR: Omega will die to BOM.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rudegerus Osterham said:

BOM came out last year -- August ish. So, there's a solid 7 years of "we did it this way because we had to." Someone more familiar with the skin scene can probably say if there is anything better about a skin and applier made for a specific body or head vs a BOM.

I am not sure how many of the big skin creators are moving to BOM also.

Appliers are really inconvenient i so many ways, and expensive!  system skins have been for much longer than these appliers....  Well, let's wait and see.. I'm not buying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:

Appliers are really inconvenient i so many ways, and expensive!  system skins have been for much longer than these appliers....  Well, let's wait and see.. I'm not buying.

People won't stop selling skins though. Even if appliers go away, people will sell system skins at the same price.

I don't think appliers will go away anytime soon, especially for backwards-compatibility, but still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:


For this avie I'm trying so hard to get an african skin that is farely cheap... So it will be a difficult search.
 

 

If you're using BOM you need to change your system skin, don't use the skins on the hud. Using the hud skins turns BOM off.

Pink Fuel has some nice cheap classic skins at L$150 each in their mainstore, including dark tones.  Also LAQ has a couple of BOM skins as group gifts (the group is free to join), though they don't go quite as dark as the Pink Fuel ones do.

Angel Rock is the go-to store for African skins but they are not cheap, and I have no idea if they do classic or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You have on the ctrl - alt - t, that is why transparent things turn red. Click ctrl - alt - t, to go back. This combination is used to find transparent things and other times when you need to see what is transparent.

Do you have the Revoul skin that cost 65L for face and 400 for body? The 65 L pack includes skin tattoo for the head. The body pack is updated to include body tattoos for BoM.

If you do, here is how an alt is using it.

Notice that the Revoul body skin is not a "skin" but a tattoo. Add it over the newbie skin. The head is also a tattoo. The skin tattoos shall be under other tattoos. Like, a hairbase on top of the skin etc.

The pink arrow point to where you turn on BoM in Genus.

 

revoul_001.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
added top sentences, and last sentence
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Rudegerus Osterham said:

BOM came out last year -- August ish. So, there's a solid 7 years of "we did it this way because we had to." Someone more familiar with the skin scene can probably say if there is anything better about a skin and applier made for a specific body or head vs a BOM.

I am not sure how many of the big skin creators are moving to BOM also.

Customers cling to all the appliers they have bought. As a minimum they need skin for BoM. But then they can use all makeup appliers over the BoM. I think many believe they lose everything if they go BoM.

Plus people make so many outfits, like hundreds, and they will not update and change the heads and bodies in the outfit folders. Many people use heads and bodies that is not updated before BoM, and it is too much work to learn new things for them too.

So I am not sure if creators sell BoM to only us who can learn how to use it, and will change to BoM. The majority of customers has finally learnt how to use mesh and appliers after 7 years, and I am sure people does not dare to start with a new system.

The new skins is made to fit the bodies and skins, like toes and the face topography. So even if you buy skins, the ones that fit the head/body best is those who's made for that brand. I know many say their old skins look good, but maybe it is the heads I buy that does not take BoM so well around nostrils and eye corners. Or I am just too picky.

Edited by Marianne Little
added a few words to clarify
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Plus people make so many outfits, like hundreds, and they will not update and change the heads and bodies in the outfit folders. Many people use heads and bodies that is not updated before BoM, and it is too much work to learn new things for them too.

this is me. Not 100s of outfits but quite a few

have some all BOMed now. Others still appliers. Some bom and appliers combined. I still have some outfits with system head as well.  I am working thru my outfits slowly, changing them up to total mesh and BOM as I go

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

 

TLDR: Omega will die to BOM.

 

 

I don’t see Omega going away. The day its gone, so is SL. I think its that entrenched in the life of many Residents, me for one.

Will BoM be more prevalent, I think yes, but Omega will still be around. Some mesh bodies still make it available. I mix BoM and Omega when I dress.

What I would expect to see is an Omega to BoM HUD, that would be nice, but the materials “thing” will need to be fixed. I have a sequined body suite that BoM can’t do or even come close to, I would hate to lose things like that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

You have on the ctrl - alt - t, that is why transparent things turn red. Click ctrl - alt - t, to go back. This combination is used to find transparent things and other times when you need to see what is transparent.

Do you have the Revoul skin that cost 65L for face and 400 for body? The 65 L pack includes skin tattoo for the head. The body pack is updated to include body tattoos for BoM.

If you do, here is how an alt is using it.

Notice that the Revoul body skin is not a "skin" but a tattoo. Add it over the newbie skin. The head is also a tattoo. The skin tattoos shall be under other tattoos. Like, a hairbase on top of the skin etc.

The pink arrow point to where you turn on BoM in Genus.

 

revoul_001.jpg

Thank you for youre reply.

No, if i had ctrl+alt+T on, it would be a lot more stuff red highlighted.  I already rule that one out.


I don't have much money left, and with my country's economy, when 1 dollar is 100$, i will not buy lindens.  The means i had to make lindens inside SL was way more fun than wasting my RL money (going to sploders,but the owner of that company that steal IPs, banned me because "i clicked too much" in a heavily crowded sim, and all my avies that didn't used to go to those events). 

That's why I'm ok with my light skin avies, but not with my african avie (or my asian) because it is super hard to get for free/dollarbie/freebie.


I did buy that revoul skin, hard to pass because it is a greatly regarded store and cheap, but I find that brand to be too much airbrushed, too much lights... and of course, I forgot I have to buy the body applier, to it was not really $65.. So i was thinking to find a cheap one for the body and put the one i bought.

I love Angel Rock but they are way out of reach.   I would gladly spent my bottom lindens on that, but can't reach it hehe.. Not for revoul.. I'm not convinced.

I think it would be really fun to make my own skin... but I don't know how to.  Don't know where people learn to make hairs, skins or clothes.


Than you for the guidence!!

The mistery remains: why the HUD is red?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Customers cling to all the appliers they have bought. As a minimum they need skin for BoM. But then they can use all makeup appliers over the BoM. I think many believe they lose everything if they go BoM.

Plus people make so many outfits, like hundreds, and they will not update and change the heads and bodies in the outfit folders. Many people use heads and bodies that is not updated before BoM, and it is too much work to learn new things for them too.

So I am not sure if creators sell BoM to only us who can learn how to use it, and will change to BoM. The majority of customers has finally learnt how to use mesh and appliers after 7 years, and I am sure people does not dare to start with a new system.

The new skins is made to fit the bodies and skins, like toes and the face topography. So even if you buy skins, the ones that fit the head/body best is those who's made for that brand. I know many say their old skins look good, but maybe it is the heads I buy that does not take BoM so well around nostrils and eye corners. Or I am just too picky.

I think for me is part of the fun arrange the inventory, go trough stuff.. like a licence to be a little girl again... I wouldn't mind to rearange my outfit folder.....

I think BOM is not a new learning curve that is difficult to understand.  It can use system skin.  You bought it, click on it, and you are ready to go.  You don't need to buy for more.

eBody says it clearly:

Why should i  use it?

  • It's efficient.  BOM reduces texture memory usage by up to 75% offering better performance, lett stutter and more fun.
  • It's simpler to use, BOM doesn't require any kind of applier you can add or remove it just like your clotes.
  • No hassle, one BOM skin can be applied over every mesh attachment all at once.

In short: it's efficient, simple and easy to use.

That doesn't mean it would be cheaper, i guess.. But more convenient for the newbies to start with.
You know, I'm not the only one with a bad economy.  With high prices, SL becomes elitist.. and the game i love sice 2008 becomes a little hostile because only credit card people can look good and modern.   And after that, you see that 80% of all activity or more is around "buy buy buy" like if SL is a virtual shopping, not a virtual world. 

But thanks to events that give away free stuff, I'm really glad I can change my old flexi skirts and "clothes" wardrove and have a little more and up to date. 

Thank to all the merchants for giving away their creations, specially the ones that made their stuff to adjust to the free genus head and the free bodies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

 

I don’t see Omega going away. The day its gone, so is SL. I think its that entrenched in the life of many Residents, me for one.

Will BoM be more prevalent, I think yes, but Omega will still be around. Some mesh bodies still make it available. I mix BoM and Omega when I dress.

What I would expect to see is an Omega to BoM HUD, that would be nice, but the materials “thing” will need to be fixed. I have a sequined body suite that BoM can’t do or even come close to, I would hate to lose things like that.

 

I think that must be true to new residents, the ones that came to SL at the same time the new mesh body parts/bodies/heads  came out, or just after, but not with older residents, me included, even tho I'm not from 2003 but 2008.
For me system skins are the way to go now and I really don't get why merchants are not offering them.. It is been like 1 year since BOM.  Maybe we have to wait a little more and see what will happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:

I think that must be true to new residents, the ones that came to SL at the same time the new mesh body parts/bodies/heads  came out, or just after, but not with older residents, me included, even tho I'm not from 2003 but 2008.
For me system skins are the way to go now and I really don't get why merchants are not offering them.. It is been like 1 year since BOM.  Maybe we have to wait a little more and see what will happen.

I love BoM too, and we know how to layer, lol. I think some people imagine it is very difficult. I think it is 100% easier than messing with appliers and turning slots on and off. I got used to no makeup when it was these appliers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elisaisabel Munro said:

I think that must be true to new residents, the ones that came to SL at the same time the new mesh body parts/bodies/heads  came out, or just after, but not with older residents, me included, even tho I'm not from 2003 but 2008.
For me system skins are the way to go now and I really don't get why merchants are not offering them.. It is been like 1 year since BOM.  Maybe we have to wait a little more and see what will happen.

(I bolded)

LOL, you did not check my age... I was born September 1, 2007.

And I don’t dislike BoM, in fact I love it, its just it has limits, just like everything, and Omega fills that void.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll switch to BoM as soon as someone makes a skin I like as much as my current skin. 

Until that day comes (and trust me, I'm trying every demo I see) I won't be switching to BoM. It's not out of stubbornness, or a refusal to learn something new... I just really love my current skin with my current head. I desperately want to switch to one of the LeLutka Evo heads, but they haven't released one yet that I've found comparable in looks to my Simone head from them. 

I'll keep trying but I'm in no rush to make the switch until I find something I love, that feels like me, and not something like I merely like and that I hope starts to feel like me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...