Is SL being super slow or is my laptop finally dying?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this type of thread is allowed.. but the last few days my SL has been SO stressful. Teleports aren’t working properly, people & scenes won’t rez... I keep getting sent back home. It’s like it’s been hacked or something!!

Is it just my laptop getting ready to pass on or is this happening to anybody else? :( 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, InventedSuicide said:

Not sure if this type of thread is allowed.. but the last few days my SL has been SO stressful. Teleports aren’t working properly, people & scenes won’t rez... I keep getting sent back home. It’s like it’s been hacked or something!!

Is it just my laptop getting ready to pass on or is this happening to anybody else? :( 

There are 1000's more people using SL at the moment and millions more using the internet.  These could affect your performance along with a ton of other things including your laptop, your internet provider, modem/router and so on

• Like 2

Some folks in some forums would say, "Laptop, what laptop? I don't see anything about a laptop."

Which translates to: it's literally impossible to say anything about your laptop and its capabilities if you do not provide any kind of info about it.

Your provider might be under much greater load as well.

Could be lots of things. Malware, adware, spyware can slow you down. I'd check for that. Maybe your system has gotten slower because it needs a good cleanup. Could be your connection, at your end or your ISP or in the middle somewhere. I'd check ping times and packet loss, and then start troubleshooting my computer. Can you post your specs?

Edited by HeathcliffMontague
Spelling
  • Like 1

I've got a whizzy desktop computer and, for the last few weeks, SL has been unusually pokey. It was not uncommon for me to see less than 30K online at log-in. I'm currently looking at 43K. I suspect there's some correlation here.

If you start experiencing a lot of crashing, particularly when entering complex/crowded scenes, you might have a blocked/stalled cooling fan. Over the years I used laptops to access SL, I've had two clear cases of shutdowns caused by overheating GPUs. There's a limit to how much the OS can throttle the GPU clock before the viewer gives up and crashes. In both of my cases, the GPU fan had become blocked with lint. A shot of compressed air into the vents fixed things up.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you start experiencing a lot of crashing, particularly when entering complex/crowded scenes, you might have a blocked/stalled cooling fan. Over the years I used laptops to access SL, I've had two clear cases of shutdowns caused by overheating GPUs. There's a limit to how much the OS can throttle the GPU clock before the viewer gives up and crashes. In both of my cases, the GPU fan had become blocked with lint. A shot of compressed air into the vents fixed things up.

Yeah, this too. OP, has your laptop started getting noisier and/or hotter lately?

4 hours ago, InventedSuicide said:

Make sure to blowout your laptops cooling system and try a fresh reinstall of windows..made a world of differences for me.

7 hours ago, InventedSuicide said:

I think you can see from answers here that it could easily NOT be your laptop. Mine, no changes except for auto Win10 updates has shown slower loading the last month. I can literally watch things load. Sometimes gray, sometimes textured, sometimes prims, sometimes mesh --- and my body hangs in the air at times. This is on an almost empty sim, so not a "lag" issue. 

More people in SL, more people online in general. SL servers are well beyond their prime (officially) and things are moving to the cloud (hopefully to be completed this year).   Put all that together and lots of folks are seeing issue  -- ones we just work around.   

You could certainly check how hot your computer is running. There are various free programs that you can get for this as needed.  And all the todo things for laggy areas can apply and may certainly help.  Lower draw distance, turn off DOF and shadows, derender folks you don't care about seeing  etc. etc. etc.

One thing to think about  that would likely highlight causes.  Is it JUST SL that has problems?  Are other website or games also slower?  Have you defragged lately? Checked for malware and viruses?   My best guess is that things ARE just slower, but it doesn't hurt to check other possible problems. 

Personally I would SO NOT reinstall Windows. That can make problems worse rather than better -- especially if you are using an "upgrade" version.  Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

What viewer are you using, also? This weekend I thought I'd give the Linden viewer a try. I went to fogs, the ground thing they have never rezzed past gray, and neither did most of the avatars. I also had some weird issues in Black Dragon when I logged in for some pictures.

In the end, I just ended up going back to Firestorm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rudegerus Osterham said:

What viewer are you using, also? This weekend I thought I'd give the Linden viewer a try. I went to fogs, the ground thing they have never rezzed past gray, and neither did most of the avatars. I also had some weird issues in Black Dragon when I logged in for some pictures.

In the end, I just ended up going back to Firestorm.

I agree, that's a good point, different viewers can have a huge impact on performance.

Edited by Sassy Kenin

Just now, Sassy Kenin said:

agree that's a good point, the viewer can also have a huge impact on performance.

Yeah, and as others have mentioned, with a lot of people coming back there is probably some Scotsman in the back of Linden Lab's data center yelling, "We need moah powah, cap'n"

• Like 1

I was about to agree, that SL is suddenly slower and textures are back to taking a minute to load instead of a few seconds then I remembered that I installed Folding @ Home on this computer.  If your computer seems slow, is it maybe busy?  I think somebody mentioned the possibility of malware, but it's also possible something you wanted on it is hogging resources.

Edited by Ardy Lay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.