Personal Server

Yman Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible, and permitted to use a personal server, which can be hooked up via LL server to a specific location, a plot on a sim.

Am a performer doing very high tech  shows and on several occasions lag and rezz time is all slow and to many shows the sim and the audience watching cause the lag.

I wonder if I had a personal server home, if it can be  hocked up, connected to LL server and via them  directly to a certain sim and on that sim to a certain area where my stage is.

So when i perform with my  partners, we are not effected  by LL lag since all our  action  pulls power from mine,  the personal server...

Is such a set up possible - I really like to know..?

• Haha 1

Short answer...No.  SL is hosted on servers owned and operated by Linden Laboratory.  You cannot link a server and download content directly to a location within SL.

• Like 1

Yman, some performers mitigate render lag by de-rendering parcel/region objects in the scene not needed for the performance. And derender the audience avatars just leaving name tags on screen. Rendering only those avatars necessary for the performance

Do i need to de-rendering parcel/region objects  one at the time to avoid lag  ? And  how will that feel--to perform and see nothing but your stage, tools and dance partners while all the rest surrounding stage is  misty shadowry.

Can I de-rendering all external parcel/ region objects in a single act ???  Never heard of this option before  :-)) !

Edited by Yman Juran

To Aishagain.

I dont want to download directly . I want to  prepare stage and all  in SL as normal...BUT the area on which the stage is located...lets say 40x40 meters is  powered by my personal server through  a connection with LL servers, This is what I am asking is an option or  any other way in relation to a "outside LL server"   so the performer ( I) dont  experience  any  reduction in speed and  time in down and up.  Look at the idea as I rent your car, am a premium member  in SL and personally pay the  gasoline, insurance  for the time of use of your car.. Powering the car ONLY for that  space of time  needed for the show...and  have no  permission to  touch any item outside the stage area..and  all items on that area are mine from inventory.

Edited by Yman Juran
  • Haha 1

we can only work with what we have.  Derendering is a mitigation

just about performing to people we can't see.  Travis Scott performed to a 12 million online audience on Fortnite. And he couldn't see any of them because of sharding. He just knew that the audience was there.  One day hopefully SL will also have shards and  performers will be able to do the same

a vid of the Travis Scott performance, which is pretty cool, is here: 

edit add

when one day SL does get shards then you will have what you have listed as wants Yman

performer in one shard, audience in the other shards

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

@Yman Juran

Your idea runs into precisely the same barrier that I described in my original post,  You simply cannot do it.  End of.  I don't make the rules here, LL does.

I recall a ruse tried by a theatre company in SLsome years ago whereby the theatre was at the junction of four regions with the stage and actors on one region and the audience in the other three.  It was a logistic nightmare and due to SL's "child agent" and "diagonal sim visibility" (kitty corner) bugs it failed.  If it failed all those years ago, the likelihood of it working now is vanishingly small.

Edited by Aishagain

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, Aishagain said:

@Yman Juran

Your idea runs into precisely the same barrier that I described in my original post,  You simply cannot do it.  End of.  I don't make the rules here, LL does.

I recall a ruse tried by a theatre company in SLsome years ago whereby the theatre was at the junction of four regions with the stage and actors on one region and the audience in the other three.  It was a logistic nightmare and due to SL's "child agent" and "diagonal sim visibility" (kitty corner) bugs it failed.  If it failed all those years ago, the likelihood of it working now is vanishingly small.

We do this all the time; it works well.

• Haha 1

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • Yman Juran
  • Resident
  • 92 posts

i heard LL allows rental of whole servers dedicated to your sim.. True or Farce? lol

I like to learn if it is possible to rent a server, not for a full sim but for a part of a sim, a certain land area. As perfomer I would like to have a separate server handling my shows without any influence from the audience. So I like to learn if such an option to rent a server dedicated  to a very specific area is  a possibility??

@Oz Linden: so you allow extermal sever connections directly to outside operations?  That is news to me, But I guess you must know the answer!  Or do you mean the "sim-corner" operation that the Shakespearian theatre used all those years ago?  Sorry I am unclear as to what you mean.  As to "it works well"  it most certainly did not.

Edited by Aishagain

I  know of all such sim combinations,  and the 4 sim solution is best, 3 for audience and one for stages..

But what i like to find out is  if  a performer can rent  a LL server to powerize  precisely the area on which the stage is  and no more.

14 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

We do this all the time; it works well.

That's the routine answer, widely used at the SL-Birthday events and others. With the content-delivery changes moving much of the high-volume traffic away from the Linden Lab servers things are very different from "A few years ago".

Whatever the event, it doesn't help that some creators are still producing grotesquely over-complex models. Just look at some avatars in wire-frame mode. If the mesh looks solid, it isn't worth using at a busy event.

It also helps if people turn up early, and give their viewer cache time to fill. But avatar components and textures can still be a problem. Starting with a minimal draw-distance can help.

Come SL17B and I shall be running around with an all mesh avatar showing under 15k ARC. That's not a perfect measure of the load I put on somebody's connection and viewer, but it does leave me wondering what excesses Bake-on-Mesh really cures.

13 hours ago, Yman Juran said:

I  know of all such sim combinations,  and the 4 sim solution is best, 3 for audience and one for stages..

But what i like to find out is  if  a performer can rent  a LL server to powerize  precisely the area on which the stage is  and no more.

No, you can't have a server only running one part of a region.

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

Come SL17B and I shall be running around with an all mesh avatar showing under 15k ARC. That's not a perfect measure of the load I put on somebody's connection and viewer, but it does leave me wondering what excesses Bake-on-Mesh really cures.

Unfortunately, Bakes on Mesh does not magically cure any excesses that have already been created.  Bakes on Mesh does provide an option for texturing meshes (and some other objects) with marker textures so the user can use the avatar bakes system on attached meshes (and some other objects).  Creators of products and users of those products will have to chose to use this new option in a way that reduces render complexity, instead of continuing with their excesses.  Linden Lab did not create the excesses so they cannot eliminate them.

To arabellajones

We have allready signed in with SL17B for shows, We just await  their  final decisions of which days they find  best.

I like to  meet up with you and see if you can guide my setting up of stage and all with less potentials for lag.

I will remove all scripts  within all items conent first and then we see...

With Light, Life & Love    Yman

To everyone else answering me: Please  be aware that all the shows  we do, need be done at location of event, we cant use a media to show our shows from a far distance sim/region.

Yman

10 minutes ago, Yman Juran said:

I like to  meet up with you and see if you can guide my setting up of stage and all with less potentials for lag.

I will remove all scripts  within all items conent first and then we see...

The majority of the lag users experience comes from displaying the world on their screens. Scripts have little effect on that.

What you should be paying attention to is texture usage (the number and size of them), as well as the density of any mesh objects.

Another unfortunate truth you'll have to deal with is that your visitors are the biggest source of "lag" on the sim and each other.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.