What is the forum sending to Facebook?

Extrude Ragu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I noticed that when I clicked on a section on the forum, I saw 'Sending request to Facebook' in the corner of my browser whilst the page took a suspisciously long time to load.

When turning on strict mode in Firefox, thusly disabling social media trackers, cross site cookies etc I note the forum page loads much faster.

I do not think that any data regarding my SecondLife forum activity should be going to Facebook, nor should my browser be connecting to Facebook when visiting the SecondLife forum, especially in light of notable privacy scandals in recent history. So why is that request being made, and what data is being sent?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:38 PM, Extrude Ragu said:

I do not think that any data regarding my SecondLife forum activity should be going to Facebook

I agree, it's long been known they keep shadow profiles of people who are no even registered to there platform.

It's a legit privacy concern even here in my opinion.

Edited by Sassy Kenin
Added
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The data that is being sent is to see if you have a fb account so you could share the post to fb if you wanted. a lot of sites have this added in them. Anywhere you see that fb button it is making a request to the site one to check if you are a member probably and two, the download that little button icon from the fb servers. It does it for each of them that is shown there i believe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

there are addons you can get that block the facebook in a container.

Indeed. The one I use is configured to:

• block all traffic to or content from any facebook.com domain unless the page itself is in that domain.
  • block all traffic or content from google.com sites unless I'm on a google site (including things like gmail.com and youtube.com) unless I am on one of those sites or have explicitly whitelisted the domain I load for google content access - even when whitelisted it silently dumps all cookie set/get/send requests from google sites unless I'm actually accessing a google page
  • facebook-level (total cross-site block) for several other social platforms domains.
  • google-level (cross-site block unless whitelisted, but still a total block on cross-site cookies) for some others.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, BeautifulXu said:

Is there any way that someone can be added without registering?

No. You have to intentionally sign up for a FB account using an e-mail you can confirm. And you cannot share a post from the forum without intentionally clicking on the icon and then clicking on the share button. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.