You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Katt Dragoone said:

I think we all learned something in here. Never ever ask anything in forums. Log out and never return!

If you always want everyone to completely agree with everything you say and never say anything that might upset you, then yes your recommendation would probably be the best approach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Regardless of how either of you think this got started...

Hi Lil, remember just a little while ago I said I was being a mean girl so that the Forum would be more interesting for you (and others)? (And yes, constant reader, that WAS written in sarcasm font, something that often goes undetected in these parts.) Apparently I'm a mean girl in this one, too! Yay! The Alec Baldwin gif post is mine! Yippee. Just follow the laughing faces to the trolls. Kinda like Dorothy in Oz. :::skip skip:::  I see also one that goes back to a remark about education, just citing something someone said about their own self! (We really are getting into ancient history!) I was a mean girl there too because I wouldn't let go of someone posting really wrong, idiotic, destructive statements of pseudoscience about mental health issues. IKR? Somehow laughing faces are trolls. Calling BS as BS is trolling. Not agreeing with everyone is trolling. Apparently everything BUT trolling is considered trolling. It is weird. But at least it keeps the forums hopping...

There seems to be a little herd brewing, and a lot of them (but not all of them) are forum noobs who just think that everything should run EXACTLY as they think it should. They come off as entitled, whiney and hard to take seriously. But of course they are allowed to post. It's a free country and all. That just doesn't guarantee that they'll get the responses they want. The horror.

I don't agree with everything @Katt Dragoone did here, but she did take down the one post I thought was offensive (and I sincerely thanked her for that) and she didn't/doesn't strike me as someone who was yelling "troll" constantly at things that weren't trolling. I understand why she thought "never post again" and sometimes that is valid. However... not always.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Cute song, but it gives Anne Boleyn short shrift for her own acumen at politics and her own humanist influence on a Protestant England. Most accounts do, though. Between Sanders and Chapuys being the TMZ of their time, the gossip is too good to pass up for the truth. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Regardless of how either of you think this got started, coming back with an excuse of "you dished it first" is just plain childish.

Well, whatever.   I felt it needed to be done, childish or not childish because it wasn't the first time plus going around leaving a bunch of "haha" emojis to purposely disrupt this forum is waaaaaaaaaay beyond childish and happens in almost every thread and I am not the only one who has noticed it from blocked trolls.  

What's done is done.  I felt like serving it back for once because we need this forum to get constructive things accomplished period and the behavior of some on here...well, it's time people start standing up for themselves because it's abusive at times.  Not this time with Sylvia but at many other times with different posters being abusive to others and nothing is done about it.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you always want everyone to completely agree with everything you say and never say anything that might upset you, then yes your recommendation would probably be the best approach.

Whispers: That was sarcasm 😋

• Like 3

Fact: @Sylvia Tamalyn is a TROLL because she said "Bless your heart..."   I should AR that...

and

@FairreLilette is a SAINT because I have read several times where she is schooling others on what an ad hominem argument is (obviously a cut and paste definition by someone else, just to make sure it is right), while simultaneously delivering prime examples of ad hominem about others, with examples of many in this thread... which I'm sure was done just for its educational purposes.

I'm having to renew my subscription to [sarcasmfont.com] for a lot of recent threads.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Katt Dragoone said:

Whispers: That was sarcasm 😋

Pro tip: After umpteen years in SL Forums, I've learned you kinda do need to flag the sarcasm. I tend to favor [sarcasm font] but there are other ways to do it. :)

I also missed the sarcastic jest in your remark about never coming back. It is an unexpected albeit rather welcome response in a troubled thread.

ETA: PS after reading a few other comments, it is obvious that even flagging sarcasm as sarcasm just doesn't always get the point across. 😞

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

it's time people start standing up for themselves because it's abusive at times.  Not this time with Sylvia but at many other times with different posters being abusive to others and nothing is done about it.  

If it is truly abusive, then there is a handy little link right up there, to the right, see it?  It says "report post." Click it and tell the moderators just how horribly abusive it is, and why. 

Oh, but wait... The moderators probably won't agree it is abusive if it is merely someone pointing out something that was incorrect, or not worded how someone thinks it should be worded, laughing at laughable posts (whether the poster realized they were typing rubbish to be laughed at or not)....

That's totally different from, say, being truly abusive in a thread about mental health and having a bunch of posts removed for abuse and getting the thread shut down like happened to a certain someone ^^.  Pots calling kettles, etc etc etc.

Someone replying "That's BS because of this and this" is really not mean, nor trolling. It is merely uncomfortable for the person being called out for spouting BS.

And you know what is really cool? A few people won't read this because they have mean old me blocked. (The horror.) Because I'm a troll, because if someone says, "The sun rises in the West" I will be blunt and say, "No it doesn't."

Edited by Seicher Rae
correcting abusive grammar mistakes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Fact: @Sylvia Tamalyn is a TROLL because she said "Bless your heart..."   I should AR that...

and

@FairreLilette is a SAINT because I have read several times where she is schooling others on what an ad hominem argument is (obviously a cut and paste definition by someone else, just to make sure it is right), while simultaneously delivering prime examples of ad hominem about others, with examples of many in this thread... which I'm sure was done just for its educational purposes.

I'm having to renew my subscription to [sarcasmfont.com] for a lot of recent threads.

Well, whatever again because it is ridiculous when people are volunteering their time here and doing their best to be helpful and these haha emojis show up from someone you blocked in all kinds of threads and in weird ways and I get them from people I never heard of and I never wrote anything funny in there.

So, even though I laughed pretty hard at times at what I'd call a very good parody in the "Making Things More Comlicated Isn't Improvement" thread...I still could empathize with some of the things he was saying regarding that.    I knew darn well he wasn't blocking us all.  I think we need to be able to turn on and off REACTIONS or whatever it's called though.  

But, still, I think people don't need to start off answering posts so sarcastically such as "don't get out much, eh" or whatever.  It's not right but I don't think I am a Saint though.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Katt Dragoone said:

I think we all learned something in here. Never ever ask anything in forums. Log out and never return!

I got your back! ..all us little people need to stick together😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

What's up with people tossing around words like trolls and abusive so lightly? Seems like they've never experienced either. 

Well, all I can say is people are different in different parts of the world and even in different states in America.  What's sarcasm in one country is offensive in another.  My ex husband is East Coast; I'm West Coast.  He talks like a New York Cab driver but tones it down after 27 years living in Southern California but he can easily slip into his "East Coast" self which most people in Southern California may take offensively what he might say.  East Coast/West Coast very different.  

And, why do you think I use the word troll and abusive so lightly?  You don't know me nor did I say I was speaking in terms of this particular thread.  But, people's approach to many posters on this forum is a bit to abrupt at times.  

As far as I am concerned we should be able to turn off the REACTIONS because usernames you've never even heard of leaving laughing emojis in posts that aren't funny is a type of harassment and those posters aren't saying anything in the discussion - the ones with the names you've never even heard of.  At least I think it is a type of harassment.  I'm sure the reactions were meant for good but there is no perfect system; the reactions in an of itself are being abused, imo.  I don't mind if others have different pov's on that.  But still, to keep a better peace around here, I think we should be able to turn if off (this thread does not have one of those where it's a posters name I've never heard of and who has never posted before - it's other threads.)  Others have experienced this as well.  

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

As far as I am concerned we should be able to turn off the REACTIONS because usernames you've never even heard of leaving laughing emojis in posts that aren't funny is a type of harassment and those posters aren't saying anything in the discussion - the ones with the names you've never even heard of.  At least I think it is a type of harassment.  I'm sure the reactions were meant for good but there is no perfect system; the reactions in an of itself are being abused, imo.  I don't mind if others have different pov's on that.  But still, to keep a better peace around here, I think we should be able to turn if off (this thread does not have one of those where it's a posters name I've never heard of and who has never posted before - it's other threads.)  Others have experienced this as well.  

I don't see a need for turning off reactions to posts. 

A lot more people read the forum than comment on threads, and there is nothing wrong, in my opinion, with people leaving reactions on posts even though they didn't comment in the thread.  Some people do that to show support or agreement with something someone else posted, rather than adding another comment that says the same thing.  Some people may also react with a laugh emoji when something they read tickles their funny-bone, for whatever reason.  Different people find different things funny. 

I haven't gone back to the other thread mentioned to look for reactions from people who have never posted here before, but I do know that there are people who used to post here a lot, several years ago, who now just show participation with reaction emoji's instead of commenting, or people that don't post much in the general forum areas, so their names may not be as familiar as names you see posting in the avatar and general sections of the forum. 

My general sense is that people are on edge and taking offense too quickly about things that are not really important. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

who now just show participation with reaction emoji's instead of commenting, or people that don't post much in the general forum areas, so their names may not be as familiar as names you see posting in the avatar and general sections of the forum. 

My general sense is that people are on edge and taking offense too quickly about things that are not really important. 

Yes, for some...because I have re-read a few of my posts and there was perhaps one or two lines someone may have thought funny, but the others I'm speaking about absolutely 100% no, there wasn't anything funny in the post whatsoever but it's the same username that follows me around and yes I am considering reporting that username just to ask what's up with this because there is nothing funny there.  Because I'm wondering is she stalking me?  Does she like me?  Want to date me?  What's up with this?  She's making herself very well known to me but I don't know why through emojis...for what reason, I don't know because she never posts (writes).  

38 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I don't see a need for turning off reactions to posts. 

Well, I think it would be better for each individual to have that option to turn on/off themselves...although I know options are expensive and I can't pay for it to be included...so what can I say if I'm not paying for it.  However, in that thread about "Making Things More Complicated Isn't Improvement" while it seemed like a parody for the most part...I think the REACTIONS thing may have already been mentioned and/or reported to the Mods of LL.  I will say, however, I have not reported it nor asked through a ticket to LL - can we have the option to turn it off and on yet.  

Edited by FairreLilette

47 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

What's up with people tossing around words like trolls and abusive so lightly? Seems like they've never experienced either. 

I picture them being the same people I see on Facebook accusing everyone who doesn't agree with them of being a "bully". Some words get thrown around and watered down until they have no meaning at all. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

same username that follows me around

It's probably more likely that they just read all the threads rather than just looking to see what threads you have posted in.  

As to the topic of whether there was something funny or not in a post which receives a laugh emoji is a topic that has been discussed a lot at different times here in the forum, and as it's still allowed, the powers to be must not have found compelling enough reasons to change how the forum reactions work.   

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Someone can absolutely be trolled, abused (or bullied) in the Forums. In this version of SL Forum it is much harder to do, but not impossible. But the sensitive souls who keep flinging around those words lately (there's been a lot of it lately...COVID stir-craziness) would have fainted while clutching their collective pearls back in the older days of the Wild West SL forums! And they have clearly never experienced real Internet trolling. As Sylvia said above, "watered down" meanings now, and I posted in the pet peeve thread about the same thing a few days ago. It is silly AND worrisome, because there are a lot of tender folks out there who will believe the new definition, and I don't see that as being a good thing. We don't need to be wearing inch-thick, calloused skins, but a modicum of dermis is needed to survive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

It's probably more likely that they just read all the threads rather than just looking to see what threads you have posted in.  

As to the topic of whether there was something funny or not in a post which receives a laugh emoji is a topic that has been discussed a lot at different times here in the forum, and as it's still allowed, the powers to be must not have found compelling enough reasons to change how the forum reactions work.   

Thanks, HaHa and Like are +1 toward "Community Reputation".  Confused and Sad are 0.  There are no negative (-) that I can see, so, if somebody chooses to attempt to harass you by HaHa they are still giving you +1!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Thanks, HaHa and Like are +1 toward "Community Reputation".  Confused and Sad are 0.  There are no negative (-) that I can see, so, if somebody chooses to attempt to harass you by HaHa they are still giving you +1!

Well, huh. I didn't know that. I don't pay attention to the reputation points (and not sure WHY anyone would). And that's kind of funny for those sarcastic 😄 s . I don't sarcastically 😄 often, but when I do it is usually because the person shows zero comprehension, cannot be talked to, etc. so writing a thoughtful paragraph or two just would have zero effect. Rolling your eyes and applying a 😄 is a lot easier in that case and often (as the discussion here shows) gets the point across better than a typed reply.

I still find it amusing that anyone thinks a 😄 is "abusive."

Many of us have been clamoring for more emojis because the current ones are too limiting. Personally I'd like to see a facepalm. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Well, all I can say is people are different in different parts of the world and even in different states in America.  What's sarcasm in one country is offensive in another.  My ex husband is East Coast; I'm West Coast.  He talks like a New York Cab driver but tones it down after 27 years living in Southern California but he can easily slip into his "East Coast" self which most people in Southern California may take offensively what he might say.  East Coast/West Coast very different.  

And, why do you think I use the word troll and abusive so lightly?  You don't know me nor did I say I was speaking in terms of this particular thread.  But, people's approach to many posters on this forum is a bit to abrupt at times.  

So, I get that different people will find different things offensive, that is, as far as I'm concerned, quite natural. The problem is, you cannot expect everyone to be on the same page with this. There will always be something that is offensive to somebody. Heck, I know a person who's getting offended by people breathing (audibly, granted). But that's what I feel it's often about: expecting others to fall in line with what someone personally feels offensive. If I am offended, I might comment on the situation, or leave the situation. I will NOT demand others to cease offending me. 

I may not know you, but I know abuse.

They're just names! Why are you giving a few pixels so much power over you?

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Someone can absolutely be trolled, abused (or bullied) in the Forums. In this version of SL Forum it is much harder to do, but not impossible. But the sensitive souls who keep flinging around those words lately (there's been a lot of it lately...COVID stir-craziness) would have fainted while clutching their collective pearls back in the older days of the Wild West SL forums! And they have clearly never experienced real Internet trolling. As Sylvia said above, "watered down" meanings now, and I posted in the pet peeve thread about the same thing a few days ago. It is silly AND worrisome, because there are a lot of tender folks out there who will believe the new definition, and I don't see that as being a good thing. We don't need to be wearing inch-thick, calloused skins, but a modicum of dermis is needed to survive.

While I agree with the general statement, I cannot agree that you can be abused here. In my opinion, there can be attempts, but in the end, I can stop it happening to me whenever I want - I just have to go offline. I have a very easy escape at my hands. In RL abusive situations, that's often not the case. On the internet, I'm the one controlling who and what has how much power over me. 

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.