EVENT SEARCH SPAM

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Galilla Sinatra said:

Why does this get by?  With many previous users coming back into SL, it's a pure shame that this kind of stuff happens in Event Search!  How does this get by?  Come on LL, please fix search.  

4fa391567e4fa661d6b555ae5507b36d.png

Each advert is worded differently.  Probably doesn’t trigger any (if there are any algorithms).  In the end, it’s profitable to receive the revenue from multi postings for identical events. 

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 2

I thought LL were bringing something in where event listings would be charged L$xx for premium accounts and a higher rate for non premium account to try an reduce this sort of spamming. i guess either it hasn't been implemented or the club is happy to pay the fees

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Each advert is worded differently.  Probably doesn’t trigger any (if there are any algorithms).  In the end, it’s profitable to receive the revenue from multi postings for identical events. 

Yeah that ^  

Each of those was worded differently.  

10 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I thought LL were bringing something in where event listings would be charged L$xx for premium accounts and a higher rate for non premium account to try an reduce this sort of spamming. i guess either it hasn't been implemented or the club is happy to pay the fees

I thought they were cracking down on this stuff before too.  They are all posted by the same user account as well, all at the same time, any decent filter should catch that.

Edited by Galilla Sinatra
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 1:12 PM, Claireschen Hesten said:

It has been implemented. Its just flawed. 10 to 50Ls per event for a club to advertise is nonsense. The cost of a dime or less to advertise a real world event would never compute with anyone, but yet here in this world, thats the reality. Maybe one day they will take some zeros off of the cost of owning land and tack one or two onto the cost of advertising.

I posted two events, on different days, and at different times, from the same club, for the same week.  I used the same title for both, and the 2nd listing was rejected as a duplicate!  Someone might inform LL scripters than some clubs have the same performer more than once a week. I guess they don't get inworld that much.  

I added an ! to the 2nd one and it went through.   This is why we are paying extra for listings I guess.  :)

10 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

We're talking about LL here.

They make it a sport to blend incompetence, laziness, and apathy in new and creative ways every day. 

usual because they don't even know [ignore] what their customers really ask for .

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I posted two events, on different days, and at different times, from the same club, for the same week.  I used the same title for both, and the 2nd listing was rejected as a duplicate!  Someone might inform LL scripters than some clubs have the same performer more than once a week. I guess they don't get inworld that much.  

I added an ! to the 2nd one and it went through.   This is why we are paying extra for listings I guess.  :)

The same happened to me some years ago when I owned a club.  We had only three shows on Saturday, different performer each of the three hours - "Guitar Heaven - Name of Performer."  Clearly different times, different names, etc.  The only thing the same was the "Guitar Heaven" part of the name yet it was labeled spam and rejected.  

People were then posting the same event name but under different user accounts and I reported them with quite a bit of community support.  This particular one that I showed in the image above was the same user account.  Obviously that person knows how to get past the system by changing the name of the event....even to the extent of misspelling the name of the club.  

I don't want to slam LL for this but it does appear to be sliding back into people just being jerks and whoever / whatever was policing events is not doing a great job, again.  

FYI:  I created a forum post on this in 2017 by the way.  Take a look at the screenshots there because it was a lot worse then but I feel it may be getting that way again.  

What Dakota Linden said was that users should report the abuser so that Governance could look into it.  I think that residents shouldn't be responsible for reporting this.  

Edited by Galilla Sinatra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.