You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there I am Kleo chan -inernetbrat1- inworld I've always  adored Japanese culture I can't take in real life Japanese classes to learn how to speak Japanese yet due to crovic-19 atm id live to learn some real Japanese so I can become a English teacher in japan in the future I'd be cool to learn Japanese anyone know where I can start I'd be a neat way to make friends to

• Like 3

We'd considered this in the past at my sim (I'm building an anime themed school).

We deemed it something that would be a pretty large undertaking, to teach someone to speak Japanese is not a simple undertaking, both the teacher and the students must have the time and be prepared to spend a great deal of as it takes years to teach a language and many more for a student to get good at it, even at an ordinary school.

We felt it was going to be pretty difficult to make sure all parties involved are going to take it seriously and make it worth everyones while. There might be stuff for beginners out there on SL though?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Japanese here. I have no license or formal teaching experience, but I always love to help foreigners out. Feel free to IM me in-world.

By the way, you do not need to speak Japanese in order to teach English here. It is counterintuitive and kind of defeats the purpose when you rewire the learners’ mind back to their native language.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi @internetbrat1,

Sorry to bump this post after a year. I wish I saw this post last year because it's almost the same time when I started learning Japanese in SL too!

If you are still interested to learn Japanese, there's a weekly Shiritori event in Cypris Japan on Fridays, in a form of Japanese and English Language Exchange. This activity has the most Japanese native speakers due to the them wanting to brush up their English and it's a great way for Japanese learners to improve vocabulary casually while playing make-a-sentence game.

You can also find another free Japanese class happening about the same time on Saturdays at the same place but unfortunately the class is almost done learning via Genki 1 textbook, moving on to Genki 2 textbook by end of this year. For those who don't have the textbook, they are provided via PDF by Yoshi Sensei. The lesson page of the day will be displayed like a whiteboard in front of the room so you can still follow along without looking away from your SL viewer.

Compared to the Shiritori event on Fridays, the Saturday class is a bit harder since most of us are encouraged to speak only in Japanese. This is due to Yoshi Sensei having very basic English comprehension. However, we know this will make learning Japanese more effective since it forces us Japanese learners to try speaking Japanese no matter what.

Nevertheless, do come by and observe anyway or even possibly joining us every weekend if it's not too overwhelming. The last chapters of Genki 1 textbook's grammars are still within the N5 level. So you can say, it's somewhat a Beginner/Upper Beginner level.

Please don't hesitate to IM or send me a Notecard if you have any more questions since I rarely check these forums. Good luck in your Japanese learning journey and hope we will cross paths very soon!

Shiritori Language Exchange.jpg

30052021 Nihongo.jpg

22052021 Nihongo.jpg

Edited by Haruka Flores
  • Like 2

Hi @tickubuck! My bad for forgetting to include SLurl for Cypris Japan, so here it is. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mallo/171/200/22.

Since you mentioned about being new in SL, I will have the owner add you in a Safe List. That's because Cypris Japan has security set to kick newbies (mainly to avoid trolls that kept making new accounts in the past). Admins would have to manually add a person if their Second Life account is younger than 2 weeks old.

However, knowing that you are a Japanese learner for 9 years, that's something else indeed. I'll send you an IM in-world letting you know that your name has been added (I'll get it done before this week's Friday Shiritori activity) and looking forward to seeing you there some time soon too!

• Like 2

Hi @tickubuck , the group admin here from Nihongo Tea Room (Cypris Chat Japan).  I'm adding you to our access list so you can visit us any time.  Before you join us for activities, please make sure you have a working microphone and earphones/headphones as we are voice only group.  If you are not sure if you mic is working properly without much noise, go to Voice Echo Canyon (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Voice Echo Canyon/128/128/2) to check with your mic on.  You will only hear your own voice on this sim unlike any other parts of the world. 

*Friday Shiritori Language activity from 5:30 am PDT / 6:30 am PST.
*Saturday Beginner level Japanese Class with textbook and homework -Yes, serious lessons but fun ;) - from 5 am PDT / 6 am PST.
Currently we are near the end of the first book, but if there are enough interest, Yoshi sensei might start the same beginner level again.
Usually done sitting, but Yoshi sensei is pretty creative, so you might be asked to be more active during the lessons. :)

There are also Shougi board and some Japanese learning Karuta cards on the ground which you can play on your own or with 3 other people together.

Looking forward to meeting you soon! 

Nihongo Tea Room is for learners of Japanese language.
Cypris Chat Japan is for Japanese people who want to speak/learn English, mostly beginner levels, therefore you are allowed to speak both English and Japanese. 
Cypris Chat English is for anyone who want to learn and practice speaking English, and only allowed to talk/chat in English.

2020-07-04_001.png

2018-06-16Yoshi_001.png

s-2019-11-09Sugoroku_001.jpg

2017-06-25shougi.jpg

Edited by Mystie Slade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great detailed explanation from owner of Nihongo Tea Room and Cypris Chat Japan herself! 😍 Really appreciate the information and I'll use it as a reference next time when I'm mentioning the activities with others.

All the pictures that I've shared before were from @Mystie Slade too. I would be too distracted into my lessons to manage a snapshot, lol! That's how immersive the Japanese learning activities has been in SL for me and can't believe a year has passed since then. I still have so much to learn and enjoying the journey!

🙇‍♀️ Mystieさん、本当にありがとうございます。

Edited by Haruka Flores
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 11:08 AM, Mystie Slade said:

Hi @tickubuck , the group admin here from Nihongo Tea Room (Cypris Chat Japan).  I'm adding you to our access list so you can visit us any time.  Before you join us for activities, please make sure you have a working microphone and earphones/headphones as we are voice only group.  If you are not sure if you mic is working properly without much noise, go to Voice Echo Canyon (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Voice Echo Canyon/128/128/2) to check with your mic on.  You will only hear your own voice on this sim unlike any other parts of the world. 

*Friday Shiritori Language activity from 5:30 am PDT / 6:30 am PST.
*Saturday Beginner level Japanese Class with textbook and homework -Yes, serious lessons but fun ;) - from 5 am PDT / 6 am PST.
Currently we are near the end of the first book, but if there are enough interest, Yoshi sensei might start the same beginner level again.
Usually done sitting, but Yoshi sensei is pretty creative, so you might be asked to be more active during the lessons. :)

There are also Shougi board and some Japanese learning Karuta cards on the ground which you can play on your own or with 3 other people together.

Looking forward to meeting you soon! 

Nihongo Tea Room is for learners of Japanese language.
Cypris Chat Japan is for Japanese people who want to speak/learn English, mostly beginner levels, therefore you are allowed to speak both English and Japanese. 
Cypris Chat English is for anyone who want to learn and practice speaking English, and only allowed to talk/chat in English.

I'd love to participate in this class as I've only recently begun my Japanese learning, only knowing Hiragana and Katakana (mostly the former). Is there an accompanying in world group?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rathgrith027 said:

I'd love to participate in this class as I've only recently begun my Japanese learning, only knowing Hiragana and Katakana (mostly the former). Is there an accompanying in world group?

Hi Rathgrith027,
You can come to our group land and check out the place when you have time.
There is an information wall as well as a kiosk that gives you the group info notecard. Read them carefully.  We are an educational group, so properly clothed and low scripts are important. When you join our activities, please try to join in from the starting time.  Looking forward to having you learning with us!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.