Jump to content
BrookeRanger

Premium home security

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I just had an audacious, unknown individual walk into my premium home. "Oh well, you didn't have your security on" she said.

I set up my security list allowing some friends but it was obviously to no avail. The region is Rabelais.

What is the setting to lock the house door? All I see is the avatars getting kicked out after 15 seconds, from the parcel. Can they be restrained from doing this to anyone at all? If so, how? Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BrookeRanger said:

I just had an audacious, unknown individual walk into my premium home. "Oh well, you didn't have your security on" she said.

I set up my security list allowing some friends but it was obviously to no avail. The region is Rabelais.

What is the setting to lock the house door? All I see is the avatars getting kicked out after 15 seconds, from the parcel. Can they be restrained from doing this to anyone at all? If so, how? Thank you

The door is set by the control panel on the wall of the building

Access to the parcel is set by using the security orb in the home owners pack  (can't remember the exact name)  which is 15 seconds and as per the covenant cannot be set to a shorter time than 15 seconds. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone bypassed the door lock I believed I set up. A member of the community group helped me check the access.

For those dying to be in a premium home, private lands are less laggy and more secured than these ones, in case you want to know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A door lock is no security at all in SL. Never has been. If you're worried about someone entering your parcel, set up the security orb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

private lands are less laggy and more secured than these ones

That's not necessarily true.  Many locations in SL, both private estates and the Mainland, are laggy.  While non Linden Home areas can be made more secure than the limited security systems allowed in Linden Homes, that requires you to provide your own security system, or set up ban lines on your parcel.  But even the most tightly secured area in SL is not completely secure.  The only way to absolutely insure complete privacy is to set up an OpenSim region on your own PC, completely disconnected from SL.

Anyway, it's more fun to shoot the occasional trespasser than it is to huddle in your little private universe all alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's not necessarily true.  Many locations in SL, both private estates and the Mainland, are laggy.  While non Linden Home areas can be made more secure than the limited security systems allowed in Linden Homes, that requires you to provide your own security system, or set up ban lines on your parcel.  But even the most tightly secured area in SL is not completely secure.  The only way to absolutely insure complete privacy is to set up an OpenSim region on your own PC, completely disconnected from SL.

Anyway, it's more fun to shoot the occasional trespasser than it is to huddle in your little private universe all alone.

It’s also fun to greet them naked with a quick bible verse and a side glass of brandy. Or at least this works with unwanted visitors in real life. 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marut72 said:

It’s also fun to greet them naked with a quick bible verse and a side glass of brandy. 

I know. I'm not coming to another one of your dinner parties.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marut72 said:

It’s also fun to greet them naked with a quick bible verse and a side glass of brandy. Or at least this works with unwanted visitors in real life. 

I once had a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses (in RL) come knocking whilst I was in the middle of a Wiccan Sabbat ritual. I resisted the urge to greet them "skyclad" so I put a robe on quick, and answered the door with my athame in one hand and a silver goblet of wine in the other. I invited them in to watch but they declined. They never, ever visited my house again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I once had a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses (in RL) come knocking whilst I was in the middle of a Wiccan Sabbat ritual. 

You could have just dropped the mic here, it couldn't be improved past this point. Though it's a great story in full.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never really minded visitations by strangers. When I had a home, I thought of it as being essentially untouchable. Nobody could take, leave, or move anything. If I'm not there, I couldn't care less about who might be. If I am there, it's then just a matter of whether they're interrupting me. Most often, I was standing in my fireplace, chatting with friends. Having others wandering about my house just gave me one more thing to chat about. On the rare occasion that I didn't want the visitor, a polite request was usually met by an apology and exit.

Even the very rare bad behavior provided amusement. I've posted the below picture before. It shows a couple who'd refused my request for them to leave so I could use the sofa myself. When they refused, I took advantage of the fact that I could take, leave or move anything. I flipped the sofa upside down and shook it from floor to ceiling until they dismounted. I imagined I'd made them both nauseous.

Do you really want to miss opportunities like this?...
Visitors.thumb.jpg.8a2c1f304fdf9ba338afab9e95b19a39.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

I just had an audacious, unknown individual walk into my premium home. "Oh well, you didn't have your security on" she said.

I set up my security list allowing some friends but it was obviously to no avail. The region is Rabelais.

What is the setting to lock the house door? All I see is the avatars getting kicked out after 15 seconds, from the parcel. Can they be restrained from doing this to anyone at all? If so, how? Thank you

If you want security such that nobody except your named folks can get onto your parcel at all, you'll need to give up your Linden Home and get a home elsewhere.  

Setting the access via the Land window puts up ban lines which are ugly.  Using a 0 second security orb is just plain rude.  Thus the Linden Homes allow neither.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madelaine, that is not funny or cute to me. To each his own. I pay for my private home and if I say trolls stay out, they stay out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's your option, Brooke!  But others, like Maddy and I, like to play with affhats who invade our space.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I turn on Buy Pass on my mainland parcel to see what intruders will do.  They generally just leave.  One deposited the L$10 and continued milling about in the junk I had strewn about while sorting inventory.  I just ignored them since they stopped the obnoxious motorcycle noises.

I am going to assume BrookeRanger would not find this amusing either, but it's not available to them on Linden Home land.  Hmm....  Yeah, that 15-second bomb thing is about all you get there.  It's enough for most, I suppose, but 15 seconds does feel like an awfully long time when somebody is being a jerk.

I see two options.

  1. Right click on them and select Freeze.  Sometimes, if someone seems deserving I will freeze them over and over until they get frustrated and sublimate.
  2.  Right click on them and select Eject and Ban.  This tosses them off the parcel and prevents them from returning.  Only they will see the "ban lines", and they get to see "Cannot enter parcel, you have been banned.", in the English locale.  This explicit ban goes 'all the way up', so they won't be playing 'invisible trampoline' over your head like an implied ban allows.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've never really minded visitations by strangers. When I had a home, I thought of it as being essentially untouchable. Nobody could take, leave, or move anything. If I'm not there, I couldn't care less about who might be. If I am there, it's then just a matter of whether they're interrupting me. Most often, I was standing in my fireplace, chatting with friends. Having others wandering about my house just gave me one more thing to chat about. On the rare occasion that I didn't want the visitor, a polite request was usually met by an apology and exit.

I agree totally.  Unlike RL, nobody can mess with your stuff in SL unless you are silly enough to allow them to rez objects on your land or drop their own stuff there.  The worst they can do is annoy you if you happen to be there at the time, but then you can just eject them (or, more politely, ask them to leave).  In over 13 years, I think I have only ejected a half dozen people, and I can only think of one that I have banned.  I never bother with a security system.  And doors ... ? Anyone can get past a locked door.  A lock is just a decoration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Sometimes I turn on Buy Pass on my mainland parcel to see what intruders will do.  They generally just leave.  One deposited the L$10 and continued milling about in the junk I had strewn about while sorting inventory.  I just ignored them since they stopped the obnoxious motorcycle noises.

I am going to assume BrookeRanger would not find this amusing either, but it's not available to them on Linden Home land.  Hmm....  Yeah, that 15-second bomb thing is about all you get there.  It's enough for most, I suppose, but 15 seconds does feel like an awfully long time when somebody is being a jerk.

I see two options.

  1. Right click on them and select Freeze.  Sometimes, if someone seems deserving I will freeze them over and over until they get frustrated and sublimate.
  2.  Right click on them and select Eject and Ban.  This tosses them off the parcel and prevents them from returning.  Only they will see the "ban lines", and they get to see "Cannot enter parcel, you have been banned.", in the English locale.  This explicit ban goes 'all the way up', so they won't be playing 'invisible trampoline' over your head like an implied ban allows.

 

Thank you very much!
Indeed I do not find trolls and trespassers amusing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Do you really want to miss opportunities like this?...

I know I don't, this is one of the joys of SL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I know I don't, this is one of the joys of SL

It's certainly that for me, Talli.

I routinely fall out of the sky into groups of green dots. I'm in my 13th year here and that's never gone wrong. During my first few months, that was my primary way of making friends. Across all those years, I think I've ejected just two people. I've annoyed away a few more than that, possibly one in this thread.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...