A skin store refuse to have demos?

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

I once tried an incredible-looking hairstyle that demanded L$10 for the demo. I dithered for some time over getting it, but I really wanted to try it and and I figured in the end, "Eh, you know what, L$10 is nothing compared to how much I spend in SL, and this looks so good."

When I tried that demo on I realised why it wasn't free. It was so bad that it only 'worked' in specific static poses. There is no way it would have looked good on an avatar in motion. Trying the demo was an instant "Oh hell no; in the trash with you" moment, so I guess at least the creator got some money out of everyone who took a chance on the demo.

That's a really foul business practise

• Like 1

5 hours ago, missyrideout said:

There are a couple brands at my regular events that do the 1L$ demo thing. I couldnt tell you which because I've never demoed or bought anything they make. I think to myself "They must have their reasons, why are you being so petty, try the demo!" and yet I never do. 

I won't pay for in store demos.

I would for one on MP.  One simple reason.  I have alts and friends I regularly buy stuff for... I cannot buy anything for another person that costs 0L.  Why buy someone a demo?  Because, if an item is 2,3 even 500L I may not want to buy it for them until they've tried it.  I may not have the same brand of mesh body (and my alts all have different sets up b/c that's part of the reason I have them at all).  So, a demo for 1L is fine.  Paying real money for a demo?  Not a chance.  1L is fine, however, because it means I don't have to try to remember the alt's log in or send a link to my friend for her to then have to log on and buy. 

Usually, for in store demos, I can bring my friend or my alt and they can get all the demo action they need. Most times, I don't really like to bother with in store gift interfaces b/c weird stuff tends to happen.  If i want to buy someone something in a store, most times I pay them and let them buy it. Most of my MP gifts are from vendors I trust or they are usually not things where fit is an issue (home and garden, mostly)

• Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 5:03 PM, MirandaBowers said:

How do you guys feel about demos that you have to pay for? 

The L$1 and L$2 are not a problem. Most of those refund the money anyway.

I think the purpose is mostly for data collection. How many try versus buy. That information can be used to improve marketing.

• Like 5

so... i went to an event and tried on a nice dress with a hud.  Liked it but I was not 100% sure if i wanted to buy but the hud is always a big draw and there were lots of colors.  Got thru about half the colors, then found myself naked.  TP'd home.  Needless to say, I won't be buying the dress... or anything else at that event.  I am pretty sure it was NOT an adult sim.

Edited by DeepBlueJoy

OMG

I was looking around on marketplace and in-world looking for an African skin.. and I saw an amazing asian skin.  Super detailed, like, real life skin poured into an avie.  I went to their marketplace and I saw an African skin.  Incredible.

And, OF COURSE, i looked for a demo.  No where to be found.  Maybe it was because they want you to go in-world?. I went.

Search around, and no demo either.  And I remembered this post.  I search for the owner and i remembered the name.  Long time ago, i went to her store because i was IN LOVE with her heads.  Those heads were UNIQUE!! No cookie-cutter at all.

At that time, I was pimping my Japanese avie.  I bought it.  But it had lots of flaws on the animations.  Of course, by that time, no BOM.  And not that many appliers for her.

I was absent for like a year, I can´t remember.  And I returned, to find out the owner took off every head, in fact, she was giving them really cheap at a time.  That was a double slap on my face and my poor wallet.  I could say a triple slap in the face because I couldn't believe she stopped doing such admirable heads, even tho I couldn't change the shape that much (that's why my main avie remain mesh-headless.  Practically no mesh head have every slider activated like system avie)

Well, then, i searched the african skin I wanted, hoping it was a mistake the "no demo" think.  It was kind of hidden; I clicked on the poster, and a windows pop up.  I thought "maybe it wasn't the store that has no demos after all" but never finished loading.  And then I clicked to search the owner of the poster, and there it was, that "peroration" on her profile (The store is run by these 2 women).

It was sad, but then I remembered what I said to myself: not to buy anything from that merchant because my expensive head was defective.  And then for this. 

This store is blacklisted for me now.

• Like 1

Demos, especially skins, are necessary. I need to know if I don't end up looking like a grifting demagogue like I did not too long ago.

Paid demos?  I'm not a fan of them and would give them a hard pass.  Their costs do add up.  As for gifting them to an alt?  Man, alts these days. They need to stop being lazy and get the demos themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No demo = no confidence on your products worrying people won't buy it due to how bad the demo is + relying on tricking newbies into buying your crap. End of story. There are zero excuses. You spend hours or days in Photoshop painting your skin but can't be bothered to spend 2min slapping a demo watermark on it and exporting the png? Save me the bull. Any excuse attempting to justify this, just refer to the first sentence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ballparkdogg said:

Maybe they don’t know how to make the demo

That would only be the case if they are copybotting or otherwise stealing the skins.

If you know how to make a skin, you know how to add a bit of text onto it.

15 hours ago, ballparkdogg said:

Maybe they don’t know how to make the demo

Putting demo all over something is a lot easier than making a skin, if the creators skins aren't hooky the skins are either really bad or they feel a few extra L$ & minutes to create the demo is too much effort
Anything above L$50 tops is no demo no sale often the promo pic has been Photoshopped or is a morph and isn't an accurate representation of how the skin will look in SL  

Just now, Gregorian Chant said:

As a crooked politician? 😵

Excuuuuuuse me, but Pericles was a "demagogue." And HE oversaw the greatest age that Athens ever knew!

(And, embarked on a war that eventually all but destroyed it. But I like to accentuate the positive.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Excuuuuuuse me, but Pericles was a "demagogue." And HE oversaw the greatest age that Athens ever knew!

(And, embarked on a war that eventually all but destroyed it. But I like to accentuate the positive.)

I could never come anywhere close to being as accomplished as he was.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gregorian Chant said:

I could never come anywhere close to being as accomplished as he was.

Oh pish posh. That's just defeatist talk!

I'm sure you can destroy something really worthwhile if you try hard enough!

(For instance -- and this might be more up your line than embroiling a city state in a long ruinous war -- have you ever considered nailing 95 contentious and explosive theses to a church door?)

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ballparkdogg said:

Those painted on jeans were a kmart blue light special from freebie galaxy

Were?  I think i'll find 'em right alongside the blinding eye yellow and screaming electric green painted on T shirts on the upper floors of that place... alongside the galactic hair, and atmospheric bling shoes...

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.