Bots? Unmanned avatars?

Ruby Reynaud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a plot I might buy but there is a building (business?) next door and there seems to be avatars hanging around that say 'staff greeter' but I think they are...is the term, bots? I don't think they have humans operating them. I wouldn't care but  I wonder if this will affect sim performance and can they increase lag?  Right now there is one actually stuck on the parcel I want to buy--she's flailing her arms in the 'I'm falling but never land' position. Frankly, it's annoying. There's also one seemingly on autopilot walking on the road in front of this parcel and repeatedly whacking himself into the hill and bouncing off repeatedly. Ad nauseum.  If I buy this plot and they wander on to my land, can I eject them? And just what are these things exactly?

2 answers to this question

If they wander onto your land, you can eject them same as any other av.... not really an issue there. Bots only cause lag if there is large numbers of them (which is often the case), they are the same as human operated avs. The only difference is actually a special client that operates the bots instead of a human at the controls.

In all other respects they are normal avs inworld. Surprisingly, they often would cause less lag than a human-operated av, as they are much less likely to be wearing scripted attachments, bling, particle poofers, HUDs, prim-heavy clothes, sim-crashing resizer shoes, facelights, etc....

However if there is tons of bots there.... or if you think the presence of bots constantly being there would annoy you, or bother/distract your customers, you might go out & look for another parcel.

Your call really what to do :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Thanks Wade1 for your information! Turns out the bots would be less of an issue than the neighbors..On 2 seperate occasions last night when I was looking at the plot I was harrassed. The first time was a male avi who said he lived in the area. He didn't harrass me exactly but he was vague about the fact that I should consider all possibiliites before moving there. I didn't take the time to figure out what the bleep he was talking about. Later that night a female avi IM's me and told me that I had been on the plot for 15 minutes and I was *expletive*ing up the sim and told me she was watching me and that I need to leave. WOW! All this while I'm minding my own business looking at this plot. VERY STRANGE. I noticed that the first male avi who talked to me is listed as the second Avi's partner. *Sighs*. I might still buy the plot, I do really like it. In that case I think I'll be ejecting and banning these two and not the bots. Oh, and when I logged on this am the bot that was stuck flailing in the 'I'm falling" position onto the plot was still there. LOL. I have a feeling these 2 don't want that plot to be sold!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.