Beach in a boat house, really?

Alicya VanDouser

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So my neighbor got a little bit carried away with decorating her Linden Home, and changed the boat house into a beach house, with sand, Caribbean blue waters, palm trees, a pink tree in the deck (?!), and an elevated pool... because a regular pool would just not do the trick. So she gets one of the best locations for a boat house and decides to just block the neighbor's open water views and pollute the landscape.

Now,  in your opinion, is this ok or am I exaggerating? In my opinion this is totally NOT OK and out of the theme.

Edited by Alicya VanDouser
  • Like 1

As long as their items are on their plot and aren't over the height requirement then as far as I am concerned it is okay.    It's not my style, but it is their parcel.  

ETA:  Also if you feel it goes against the covenant then you can always AR it and quietly move on.  It is really LL decision if it is against the covenant or not.

Edited by karynmaria
added info
  • Like 8

Yea, this is unfortunately what ruins houseboats for me.  There is just some completely ridiculous stuff out there that ruins the neighborhood for all but the plot owner.  Dunno if this quite qualifies as AR-able, but if you like the spot, definitely derender the hell out of that.  Sorry you got stuck with obtuse neighbors.

• Like 4

The only thing there I see that could be annoying is that tall pool, because it blocks the view. I personally would just permanently derender it (yay for Firestorm!), but if you can't, well do what you think's best. The covenant does say:

Additional buildings or structures are allowed as long as they are in theme and meet the height restrictions.
  *Privacy walls or fences should match the theme and extend no more than 4m above ground level. All other structures should not extend higher than 15m above ground level or sea level, whichever is higher.

If that pool is less than 15m they are not breaking covenant, although it could be unpleasant for neighbours.

I don't see what's wrong with having the rest of it. Everyone has a different taste and idea of what is pretty/fun/nice. It's their plot, their 'Second Life' to enjoy,  they've paid the premium, so they can decorate it however they chose as long as it's not against covenant. I can't quite understand why you think it's out of theme..beach houses go with water environments, sand goes with water environment (where else do you find sand apart from the desert...) trees & nature can be near water (seen lots of those near the beach...) So to answer your question, yes - I think you are exaggerating.

Now if this was where  the Victorians are for example,  I could kind of get why you wouldn't like it as it would be considered out of theme, (although it wouldn't bother me personally).

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I don't see what's wrong with having the rest of it. Everyone has a different taste and idea of what is pretty/fun/nice. It's their plot, their 'Second Life' to enjoy,  they've paid the premium, so they can decorate it however they chose as long as it's not against covenant. I can't quite understand why you think it's out of theme..beach houses go with water environments, sand goes with water environment (where else do you find sand apart from the desert...) trees & nature can be near water (seen lots of those near the beach...) So to answer your question, yes - I think you are exaggerating.

it was told already long ago, if people would want freedom to add and change and decorate totally to their point of view, they better move to mainland or estates.
Linden Homes are after all Starter homes ...(still) .. for me adding huge attachments, beaches and other things would be included in the forbidden stuff in the covenant. If people want beach..keep refreshing till you have one .. want forest?..go to a log home ...more rooms?.. go to a Vic or log home ... and so on...
Everything could be reported what bothered, but got pretty useless very fast, because IF there would be acted on it, it would take several weeks. As many.. i wouldn't wait for that, i paid for my premium too, to enjoy a great nice home on Belliseria.

The things that were taken action on, i seen mostly here on the forums, when a Mole seen the post. Not sure they still do.
I think they should appoint some super-residents to act on the reports, very carefull, and silent.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iBrat said:

Lol...

I would derender all the furniture, the boat itself AND the neighbour and then I would enjoy the view from the first row.

I agree with this - it is worth doing - just de-render the entire contents of it and see how you feel :) 

• Like 1

It’s a great location so I would derender if you can live with that. Houseboats seem to be the worst for this kind of stuff. People’s tastes can definitely be strange but I tend to derender more than AR. Log home covered with flashy disco lights - derendered. Log home surrounded by huge sculpty window frames as fence panels - derendered. Dock moved out so it covers over half the river channel - I’m ARing you. Some people are just not considerate.

• Like 9

IMO, an AR wouldn't accomplish much.  I don't think any of it will truly be considered 'out of theme' and the pool does not look any taller than the houseboat itself, so no height issue there.  Given what I've seen all over Bellisseria, even a PINK tree isn't considered "out of theme".

However, the pink tree MIGHT be too tall.  The 15m is from the top of the water.  I don't remember exactly how tall that particular houseboat style is - they range from 9.x meters to 12.x meters, if my memory is correct.  So, you might be able to get action on that tree.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

This might not be a popular opinion, but what the heck.  

This person decorated their home the way they wanted, and I am going to assume they are happy with it and spent some time doing it.  Then they get their home posted here in the forums for people to complain about and pick apart.  It is amazing that everyone is just looking for reasons to AR this home.  If the thread starter wants to AR then by all means AR.  I really dislike these posts that shame/ridicule others homes.

The lindens have already said that if you have a problem with something, send an AR.  Taking it to the forums is in bad taste (in my opinion).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Thank you all for the comments, I will derrender the objects for now and I decided to file an AR just to see what happens. Opinions are different - so are tastes - however I just wanted to get feedback if I was exaggerating in my perceptions or not. I do believe this is out of theme and glad to see some people agrees, a tropical beach does not go in a boat house even when both are close to the water.

It is not my intention to shame anyone, and even when this person is happy with the house, there is also lack of awareness that it might not be very considerate with the neighbors.

I tried writing to my neighbor  - very politely - showing my perspective and never got a reply.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Alicya VanDouser said:

Thank you all for the comments, I will derrender the objects for now and I decided to file an AR just to see what happens. Opinions are different - so are tastes - however I just wanted to get feedback if I was exaggerating in my perceptions or not. I do believe this is out of theme and glad to see some people agrees, a tropical beach does not go in a boat house even when both are close to the water.

It is not my intention to shame anyone, and even when this person is happy with the house, there is also lack of awareness that it might not be very considerate with the neighbors.

I tried writing to my neighbor  - very politely - showing my perspective and never got a reply.

Just a polite suggestion. Now that you have finished your post, and got the responses you feel helped you come to a decision, you might want to remove the 3 images of the parcel, out of respect to their privacy and your own.  It'll keep bored readers from attempting to go hunting for this houseboat location. 😉 

• Like 12

The alternative to a Linden Home is to build your own on mainland.  Now you can't fit my house onto 1024 square, but then it does have 6 floors (including basement and cupola) and enough rooms to satisfy your urge to redecorate for several decades.

Maybe we need a catalog of MP buildings that fit onto 1024 square meters, so that peeps can see the possibilities of using their Premium entitlement without using a Linden home.

1151928058_FlightsoFancyNo1.thumb.png.7995ec32b85b7e1895659ae446d8c4a5.png

Edited by Anna Nova
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Sparkly Rainbow said:

This might not be a popular opinion, but what the heck.  

This person decorated their home the way they wanted, and I am going to assume they are happy with it and spent some time doing it.  Then they get their home posted here in the forums for people to complain about and pick apart.  It is amazing that everyone is just looking for reasons to AR this home.  If the thread starter wants to AR then by all means AR.  I really dislike these posts that shame/ridicule others homes.

The lindens have already said that if you have a problem with something, send an AR.  Taking it to the forums is in bad taste (in my opinion).

No, this is a distortion of what happens. This isn't about shame or ridicule it's about consideration for others. There are plenty of hideous design choices which don't get posted on the forum, even those which affect the street scene very negatively.

This is about over building. If you take a houseboat plot and build tall structures in the water area it changes the look of the plot, blocks views and negatively impacts the experience of the neighbours in many directions. You are imposing your theme on others.

It's a bad assumption that everyone can derender, and it is a questionable attitude to expect others to do this anyway.
The design itself wasn't so bad in itself, it just wasn't fair to the neighbours to overbuild in a way which is hard to avoid visually.

• Like 4

All who use add-ons or other structures is imposing their theme on others. It is a thing I like = good taste. It is something I don't like = find something wrong. It is strange to rise the pool, but it is within the 15 m height, I am sure of it.

The trees is small and not overhanging, I am not sure, but I think they are mesh and not sculpts that stay as grey spheres a long time before they rez. If it is a planter around the trunk or not, one have to look on the deck instead of looking at the view.

I do not like to contact others, so I understand why people do not ask the neighbor if he/she could be so kind and lower the pool, because it blocks the view?

I believe (general) you when you say many just moves instead. And that is not good at all, but the covenant would be really, really strict if everything that possibly can negativly impact the neighbors is not allowed. First they take this pool, then they take terraces, over ground pools on land and add - ons. This can backfire.

Edited by Marianne Little
spelling added a word to clarify it is general you
  • Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.