User made me a "parent" without my consent - how do I undo it?

linkthelion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone,

I recently had another SL user, someone on my friends list, suddenly make my avatar his "parent." The person did not ask me first, and I am not willing for my avatar to have this status toward his.

In terms of world mechanics, how can I undo whatever it is he did?

I am not an expert in Second Life functions, so I'll appreciate any simple directions anyone can offer.

Thank you kindly for your advice.

P.S. I will also be unfriending and blocking this person, once I get rid of the non-consensual "parent" status that was inflicted on me.

9 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, linkthelion said:

Hi everyone,

I recently had another SL user, someone on my friends list, suddenly make my avatar his "parent." The person did not ask me first, and I am not willing for my avatar to have this status toward his.

In terms of world mechanics, how can I undo whatever it is he did?

I am not an expert in Second Life functions, so I'll appreciate any simple directions anyone can offer.

Thank you kindly for your advice.

P.S. I will also be unfriending and blocking this person, once I get rid of the non-consensual "parent" status that was inflicted on me.

Nobody can make you a PARENT-- that isn't even an SL "status" of any sort.  So, I'm assuming you mean that they simply specified, somewhere in their Profile, that your were their parent.  If so, nothing you can do about it.

Block the person as you intended and go on about your SLife.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

there is no avatar parent state in Second Life

the person is just making this up

if this person is using a scripted titler, or a group tag, or a display name, or a entry in their profile description to claim such a relationship with you, then ask then to stop and not do it.  If they persist after you asked them not too, then Abuse Report them for harassment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! All I know is, the person had his avatar point at mine and sparkles led from his to mine, like what happens when you click to sit on something or interact with it. Then the game engine whispered to me that I was now the avatar's parent, and to click on his avatar to use my parent functions or something like that.

Would he have been able to make all that stuff show up on my screen, if it isn't a real thing in SL?

Thanks again!

Edited by linkthelion
typo

Hi @linkthelion!

What the others mean is that there is no such thing as a "parent/child" relationship that's officially supported by Second Life or the viewer.  There IS one relationship, "partner" that's officially supported...you can see a space for that in your profile.

But there are a ton of roleplaying gadgets and HUDs that RESIDENTS have created.  I can (well, I'd get Rolig Loon to do it, I can't script) make a prim that will appear to chat (or shout, or whisper) any darn thing I want.  And sure, the chat would show up in your nearby chat, if you were in range of it.  It's not the "game engine" that is talking, although (like a telephone line) it provides the communications medium (local chat).  It's the person's scripted gadget.

But that DOES NOT MEAN that you have to accept whatever it says.  You can go along with the roleplay if you want to, of course.  But if you don't want to, just mute the person.  You won't get any more annoying messages from them or their goofy toy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's not the "game engine" that is talking, although (like a telephone line) it provides the communications medium (local chat).  It's the person's scripted gadget.

But that DOES NOT MEAN that you have to accept whatever it says.  You can go along with the roleplay if you want to, of course.  But if you don't want to, just mute the person.  You won't get any more annoying messages from them or their goofy toy.

Dear @Lindal Kidd,

Thanks so much for the explanation! I was really worried he had somehow messed up my avatar. It creeped me out. Glad to know it was just a goofy toy.

Blocked, and I look forward to getting to know actually nice people like you on SL. :)

-linkthelion

• Like 2

Well. You could have wrapped it up in a life changing, never ending trauma, making up a story that your involuntary parent character died a slow and horrible death full of suffering in front of the child's eyes, probably even caused by their disobedience towards the parent.

That would have taught that brazen brat. 😆😈 

• Haha 3

@linkthelion, as much as I love kids, when a child tries to have me force adopt them, they are tossed out of my life quickly.

The others are right about partners, and that can't be without consent on your part.

If someone is running around saying "that's my parent", anyone who knows you will know otherwise.  From my experience, those situations burn out faster than they start.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.