Should we pay for shapes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was young, Dad taught me to test a car's shocks by standing on the bumper, then jumping off and watching the car bounce. One bounce was great, two was okay, three or more meant you needed new s

I have a horrible time making my own shapes, especially for heads.  I thank god that people take the time to make them and I have no problem buying them.    I try to find a shape that looks somewhat w

The entire premise of this thread is silly. If you don't think something has value, don't buy it. Others who do find value in something will buy it. To imply that the work of those who create shapes h

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

We already did - it was called Bento, which allowed easily modifiable mesh heads. Every new - and free - shape you make now has dozens of more "bones" than it did before.

5 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

We already did - it was called Bento, which allowed easily modifiable mesh heads. Every new - and free - shape you make now has dozens of more "bones" than it did before.

3 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Again, who is going to compensate the creators? Should there be a Linden Labs subsidy out of our subscription fees and linden sales? (I would not be opposed to it, in principle.)

Most creators are making pennies for what they sell in SL. Some of the bigger brands are able to make SL a full time job, but most creators just manage to subsidize their own game. 

The companies and those making big profits should share the wealth us. You can talk with the owners and about who compensates and for how much but I am talking about workers who work hard to create an avi which is sold in bits and pieces , unable to use until more pieces are bought. this makes it very hard hard for those with who are physically challenged or temporarily injured. 

Creators make cute shapes, and for people who suck at it... well... It helps, a lot. They make pennies for selling those shapes. I think shapes should be more expensive. It's what makes you unique. Heres an example of a face a bought back in the day but tweaked to my liking. Also the other most important thing is a good skin.. Hell it can change your Avi

Tonti Normal.png

Edited by tontipichulino
  • Like 5

I want to change my shape in RL. I think I should be able to go to a plastic surgeon and have all the work done I want without paying for it, and I expect the quality to be amaze-balls. 

Doctors are rich anyway, right? 

could perform plastic surgery on myself, but I doubt I could do it as well as someone who knows what they're doing. 

I am an expert in running a very specialized type of database for nonprofits. I'm sure my landlord, my grocer, the utility companies... Linden Lab... will understand why I can't pay them for the things I want and use when I explain that I give away my services for free, so they should provide everything they provide to me for free.

TL:DR Yes, we should pay for shapes that another person has created. If we don't want to do that, we can make our own.

Edited by Beth Macbain
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can understand why some people feel paying for shapes is unnecessary with the argument being that shape creation is a function everybody has in their viewer, unlike an article of mesh clothing where specialized software and skills are needed to create.

I have no issues with creators charging for shapes.  I view prepackaged shapes and style cards as convenience products for those don't want to spend too much time fiddling with slider numbers, skin, and mesh combos.

I can't imagine why most people would pay for a shape when they're not difficult to make for yourself. That doesn't mean, of course, that creators shouldn't sell shapes, even at extortionate prices!  Maybe if a shape is very cheap and you like it, then buying it might be preferable than spending an hour or two making your own.

Also things like facelights - not that I'm a great fan of them - but the do have their uses.  It's so easy to make your own rather than spend L$ on a prim or perhaps two, made transparent and set to emit light!

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

I got a shape included with my mesh body, another with my mesh head and yet another with my skin. All I did was sort of combine the three into one and I ended up with a well proportioned look.

However I am sure there are many out there who just do not want to do through all the bother of adjusting the sliders (and there are a lot of them). Maybe they want a certain look and in that case the shapes that come with style cards are ideal.

No harm if you want to pay for the convenience.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2020 at 6:08 AM, InventedSuicide said:

Interesting point me & a friend were discussing yesterday & it’s been playing on my mind ever since she brought it up lol.

I want you guys opinions-

Should merchants really charge 300-600L for a shape? The reason I ask is because she pointed out they can all be copied if we just copy the numbers. We can all create & mimick a shape for free that is being sold. What do you guys think? 

It should be free.

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, Jet Dallas said:

I got a shape included with my mesh body, another with my mesh head and yet another with my skin. All I did was sort of combine the three into one and I ended up with a well proportioned look.

However I am sure there are many out there who just do not want to do through all the bother of adjusting the sliders (and there are a lot of them). Maybe they want a certain look and in that case the shapes that come with style cards are ideal.

No harm if you want to pay for the convenience.

it is not just convenience you are paying for. if you are injured, you may not be able adjust sliders or many other objects . You will end up paying for what you don't receive or what doesn't work.

19 hours ago, BeautifulXu said:

it is not just convenience you are paying for. if you are injured, you may not be able adjust sliders or many other objects . You will end up paying for what you don't receive or what doesn't work.

Please describe for us an injury that would prevent you from adjusting sliders but still allow you to log in, move around and interact with Second Life at all.

• Like 5
59 minutes ago, Conall DeCuir said:

Everything you want to have but are unable or unwilling to create/fix by yourself ... you have to be prepared to pay for. 

There are some handy caps that make sliders, use of a mouse, and visual impairments that complicate and make things difficult for some.

But a physical or mental disability does not entitle one to another's labor. However, human nature is such that people want to force others into slavery so they can have the benefit of their labor at no cost and will use any 'justification.'

• Like 2

I have made a lot of shapes, for myself and my various alts, and I often think that I should put them up for sale. 

Then when I start trying that and realise how much work is involved; not just making the shape itself but also making a demo, making photos for the marketplace listing, and putting a stylecard together, I realise why people charge for them. If the only thing I had to do was make the actual shape, I'd have a dozen up for sale already. 

• Like 7
On 4/26/2020 at 6:08 AM, InventedSuicide said:

Interesting point me & a friend were discussing yesterday & it’s been playing on my mind ever since she brought it up lol.

I want you guys opinions-

Should merchants really charge 300-600L for a shape? The reason I ask is because she pointed out they can all be copied if we just copy the numbers. We can all create & mimick a shape for free that is being sold. What do you guys think? 

NO, you cant copy the numbers because they are no mod and that is stealing btw.  People spend a lot of time and effort to get shapes just right. If you are not smart enough to figure it out on your own, you pay someone. Just like most of the stuff in SL. Having said that, I would never pay lindens for a shape.

I don't see why this is a question.

There is literally nothing wrong with paying for a shape. Why? Here:
- It supports the creator.
- When you get things from people that make quality things, you know you're getting a quality thing. Quality costs money.
- Supporting the creator helps support the SL community at large.
- You pay, for convenience.
- You pay, for quality.
- You pay, to support the creator.

Sure, you can copy numbers, BUT, that's technically stealing and/or cheating the creator.

I, for one, have no qualms about paying for quality.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, LunaRavencroft said:

- When you get things from people that make quality things, you know you're getting a quality thing. Quality costs money.
- You pay, for quality.

Sure, you can copy numbers, BUT, that's technically stealing and/or cheating the creator.

Correct me if I am wrong, but no mod shapes you can not get the numbers?

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but no mod shapes you can not get the numbers?

Very true, you can't. My mistake. I was speaking of the ones that actually have mod rights, such as ones that come with say... the Legacy, Maitreya, SLink, Bell, etc.. bodies.

3 minutes ago, LunaRavencroft said:

Very true, you can't. My mistake. I was speaking of the ones that actually have mod rights, such as ones that come with say... the Legacy, Maitreya, SLink, Bell, etc.. bodies.

yeah, but I find those shapes awful.. lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
57 minutes ago, LunaRavencroft said:

- You pay, for quality.

Many people have been hit hard by corona virus and its effects on small businesses and  communities. people are having trouble feeding their families. yet millions are being spent on these games. the people deserve games  and they deserve that the rich and not the poor pay for them.                 

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, BeautifulXu said:

Many people have been hit hard by corona virus and its effects on small businesses and  communities. people are having trouble feeding their families. yet millions are being spent on these games. the people deserve games  and they deserve that the rich and not the poor pay for them.                 

Where did you get the idea it is ok for one person to take from another? Where do you think the 'deserve right' comes from? You are rich therefore you deserve to be my slave...

If you have more than I do, do I deserve that you buy my clothes?

Oh, you probably don't realize you are quoting the theme of those promoting class warfare... divide and conquer...

runs off to update her wish list to the expensive stuff.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, Conall DeCuir said:

Everything you want to have but are unable or unwilling to create/fix by yourself ... you have to be prepared to pay for. 

when the kids sit around with nothing to do, and the games are unaffordable,  then will we think of creating cheaper well-made items for everyone?

24 minutes ago, BeautifulXu said:

when the kids sit around with nothing to do, and the games are unaffordable,  then will we think of creating cheaper well-made items for everyone?

When the kids sit around with nothing to do, they should get up their ass and start to create stuff by themselves. That is good against boredom and good for education. Those kids are all adults and should actually know how it is done. If you want cheap, just take what is thrown at you but then don't complain that it is not good enough. 

• Like 2
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.