customizing yourself..when enough is enough..

xBaeBeex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Just to address shopping addiction for a minute here...I think a shopping addiction is trying to fill a void.  I think when we have a shopping addiction we need to ask ourselves what void am I trying to fill?  Because shopping can never fulfill that void, imo....maybe for a brief stretch of time but it's not sustainable; the void remains.   So, maybe then it's time to find something that is more productive...that is why I am suggesting a job...it's productive and rewarding.  

Of course my shopping addiction is an attempt to fill some void - just like all addictions are pretty much that.  I've even done enough therapy in my life to know what void I'm attempting to fill - and while SL might not be s permanent fix, it is my chosen option for now.  I am able to keep my shopping addiction confined to inworld, which is good because things are much cheaper in SL than similar items in RL.

I also have absolutely no desire to get a job. While it might be "productive and rewarding" for some, it also it not an answer for everyone due to a variety of reasons.  After working 8-9 hours every weekday, I'll be damned if I'm going to commit to working more hours in a world that I view as my entertainment. I dabble a bit in creating things and that, combined with buying clothes & playing Barbie Dress Up, is productive and rewarding enough.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Of course my shopping addiction is an attempt to fill some void - just like all addictions are pretty much that.  I've even done enough therapy in my life to know what void I'm attempting to fill - and while SL might not be s permanent fix, it is my chosen option for now.  I am able to keep my shopping addiction confined to inworld, which is good because things are much cheaper in SL than similar items in RL.

I also have absolutely no desire to get a job. While it might be "productive and rewarding" for some, it also it not an answer for everyone due to a variety of reasons.  After working 8-9 hours every weekday, I'll be damned if I'm going to commit to working more hours in a world that I view as my entertainment. I dabble a bit in creating things and that, combined with buying clothes & playing Barbie Dress Up, is productive and rewarding enough.

I'm just putting the idea out there for anyone.  But work is work, so I understand what you are saying about working in SL. 

I can understand coming to SL for entertainment - but if I can put a word other than entertainment and, say perhaps a pleasure or a pleasurable pass time....there are many societies who believe pleasure is not a need.   In Western society, we have pretty much deemed things that are pleasurable as a need.  I believe pleasure and entertainment is a need as it can relieve stress for one thing but Western Society doesn't really judge the whys of doing pleasurable things in our lives is a need; it's more or less considered up to the individual.   It's when perhaps our entertainment starts to create stress or a financial drain, we may need to look at the situation again.  It's also a very changing economic world right now.  For some of us, if we want to continue with our entertainments/pleasures, we may need to look at ways to afford them.  But, after thinking about what Theresa said about SL not being a need...I pretty much disagree with that.  That's the way the Puritan's looked at it - all pleasure was not a need and they were even an anti-pleasure society altogether and with Puritanical America, it was all about repenting from pleasure.  I say bah! to that; that's so antiquated. 

But, to address the OP and living SL on free stuff.  Just for me and my opinion, it waxes and wanes for me and I'd probably say no I cannot live SL with just free stuff because there are things I'd really like to have that cost money but I wait I don't impulse buy very often.   With the new economic situation as it is I don't have money to spend on impulse buying whether real life or Second Life.  Right now I am on a spending freeze other than what I make inworld off my little building items I have.  I am not even spending money in real life right now...not right now....I am saving and buying food and cleaning items only.  So, I can't make a generalized statement about my spending habits as things have changed for me since the lockdown.         

Edited by FairreLilette

49 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Hmmm... I think I'll go BUY something...

Yeah, I understand you and you sound very lucky.   And, for me, I like what I like...so I'm going to buy as well however it's my budget and we all are in charge of our own money.  However, I think the free items do give us more for our money and are always appreciated by me.

************Off Topic:  I just wanted to say that I can't buy right now because of BOM also.  I need help and I need to watch the videos again on BOM because there is a skin and lipstick I want to buy.  I figured out how to apply the skin to the face but not the body, and the lipstick will not go on at all.  But, no need to address me in this thread...I'm going to watch the videos again and then go to the Bakes on Mesh section of this forum.  But, this BOM things IS actually slowing down my ability to even buy right now.  I hope to start to understand BOM pretty soon.  

Edited by FairreLilette

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

But, after thinking about what Theresa said about SL not being a need...I pretty much disagree with that.  That's the way the Puritan's looked at it - all pleasure was not a need and they were even an anti-pleasure society altogether and with Puritanical America, it was all about repenting from pleasure.  I say bah! to that; that's so antiquated. 

I didn't say pleasure wasn't a need - just any given complicated and potentially expensive outside source of pleasure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I didn't say pleasure wasn't a need - just any given complicated and potentially expensive outside source of pleasure.

I really didn't think you were Theresa...sometimes need and basic needs are often used to represent the same thing.  With coronavirus economic situations, I do need to focus a lot on *basic needs* right now but I make a little bit of Lindens inworld.  I have never cashed out Lindens in SL...I spend it all on SL items.  If any of us ever need to focus on basic needs then that's what we'd have to do because there probably wouldn't be a lot of choice if it came down to our basic needs.   

On 4/26/2020 at 7:37 AM, xBaeBeex said:

does anyone else feel the same? .. have you ever come to this crossroad and think "i need to stop" ..or "how much more do i need" ..

Nope. On the other hand I don't spend a lot, in the grand scheme of things. I was talking with someone today who says she drops US$100 a week into SL and spends it all on clothes, hair and makeup. I drop $50 a month and at least half of that goes on DJ/venue tips. And that's affordable to me; it's what I would spend in a month on TV or movies, if I ever watched those. Most of what I buy is low-cost; promo deals, sales and just low-priced stuff I happen to find on the MP, and most of the non-freebie stuff I do wear more than once, though I have certain favourites I wear regularly. 

Lately I've been buying more full-perm mesh kits and making my own textures for them. For my own use only, right now, but in time I'll get some of the better ones up for sale.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

I seldom spend money on SL anymore. Maybe once out of a blue moon now and if I want to change my look just a bit. Most people are usually always at events buying new stuff and the idea never appealed to me or the lag. 

I don't like shopping events either, the lag is always horrendous and it just takes so long, especially something as huge as Fantasy Faire. I do hop around for things like L$50-Fridays though. When the items on offer are actually in the main store, it's much easier. And single-sim events like Collabor88 are usually better too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah but as far as the sex dolly stuff...there are people who do need that stuff because they have a job here...so actually they do need it for a SL job.  

They need the clothes to do the job, and they need the job to pay for the clothes. Its a vicious circle.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.