RANT people driving me crazy demanding sl free stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

The greed and entitlement come into it when you see something akin to the following:

"I've got the free mesh head from A, the free mesh head from B, and the free mesh head from C. Why won't D give me a free mesh head?"

You've got three free mesh heads already, sweetie. Why do you need a fourth?

I thought this too. Unless you really change your look a lot (and most don’t!) why do they need all those heads anyway? Not to say it’s wrong to collect heads if that’s your jam but really, being offended because you can’t have more free heads? Bit ridiculous...

57 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I thought this too. Unless you really change your look a lot (and most don’t!) why do they need all those heads anyway? Not to say it’s wrong to collect heads if that’s your jam but really, being offended because you can’t have more free heads? Bit ridiculous...

100% agree.  My everyday is Catwa, but I have purchased Laq (x3), Lelutka (x2) and Genus (x2) for when I have to blog skin appliers for those heads.  I'm indecisive when it comes to which looks good when blogging.

6 hours ago, clivesteel said:

So what? If an item is garbage, the buyer reserves the right to describe it as garbage, so others don't waste their time and effort having said garbage pollute their inventories. 

If this upsets you, don't trade in garbage. 

I find this hard to believe. Such price disparities don't exist in re-sells...unless you are admitting to using a copybot?

While you have a point that consumers are entitled to leave a review even for free stuff, I feel leaving negative reviews for freebies is so petty. One of the main points of the review system is to help other consumers avoid paying for something that's not worthwhile. Freebies cost you nothing, so your negative reviews aren't really helping anyone. It's just a complaint over something you got for free so yes you are entitled but it's petty. I mean, how unhappy must you be over a freebie that you have to go back onto mp and write some bad stuff?

It also discourages people's generosity. People are offering items for free and asking for nothing in return, and this is what they get. Sometimes people just make it so hard for others to do nice things.

If anyone is ever unhappy with a free item, they should just treat it as a demo. We try demos before we decide whether to buy. These freebies can be demos for you to decide whether or not to keep.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

While you have a point that consumers are entitled to leave a review even for free stuff, I feel leaving negative reviews for freebies is so petty. One of the main points of the review system is to help other consumers avoid paying for something that's not worthwhile. Freebies cost you nothing, so your negative reviews aren't really helping anyone. It's just a complaint over something you got for free so yes you are entitled but it's petty. I mean, how unhappy must you be over a freebie that you have to go back onto mp and write some bad stuff?

It also discourages people's generosity. People are offering items for free and asking for nothing in return, and this is what they get. Sometimes people just make it so hard for others to do nice things.

If anyone is ever unhappy with a free item, they should just treat it as a demo. We try demos before we decide whether to buy. These freebies can be demos for you to decide whether or not to keep.

^^ This

I won't even contact the creator if I can't find their offered freebie at the store or if they  forgot to set it so that you could actually get it - either for sale at L$0 or using a touch give. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

The Genus giveaway annoyed me...cos it was the Genus head I bought when it came out!  But like an adult, I sucked it up and grabbed it for my alts and was thankful for that.

It has become a world full of entitled people and choosing beggars.  When did this happen?

if i remember right...  the customer service rep of Genus made an official statement saying there is a difference between the free Genus head and the one that was for sale in store.  I don't recall what the customer service rep said the difference was.

• Like 3

I am a creator - small fry. I have some freebies on marketplace and in the inworld shops.

There have been negative reviews on them and I WELCOME those.

I am not being generous when I give out freebies. I am hoping people will like them and then maybe buy some stuff from me.

Feedback is welcome - I appreciate the time people take to point out issues. It helps me learn and make better stuff.

Emma :) 

And as to the other point, about not being able to find or get freebies inworld. I WANT people to let me know - I put them out there for people to get them after all.

Edited by Emma Krokus
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

And as to the other point, about not being able to find or get freebies inworld. I WANT people to let me know - I put them out there for people to get them after all.

I've heard so many creators get really mad when anyone makes any sort of fuss about a freebie.

It's possible that your viewpoint is more widespread and it is just that, like many other things in life, we don't necessarily hear about something if it isn't a complaint.

I'll have to keep in mind what you've said.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

I am not being generous when I give out freebies. I am hoping people will like them and then maybe buy some stuff from me.

I don't give out freebies for this reason.  I give out freebies of my "Shabby Chic" inspired artworks so people can get a free taste of the Shabby Chic world to see how they might like it as they may have never experienced Shabby Chic before.  I don't really care whether they buy from me or not...I just have a passion about the Shabby Chic world and am one of the original real life designers of Shabby Chic.  I worked in Shabby Chic before it even had a name.  I also put out free textures so people can try something different if they have time.  My freebies are usually based around my passions.  It's just a way of giving back to my customers too and something I've always done as my store is very, very low cost anyways and it's just a little bit of hobby money for me.   I like to give back to my customers.  I always feel grateful to the other sellers who give out free items too because if I find I spent money on stuff on SL that didn't work out too well there is always free stuff to make up for it.  So, I never feel like I lose in SL if even I made a purchase where the item didn't work out.  Then I go out and find 10 amazing items for free or 1 linden.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

While you have a point that consumers are entitled to leave a review even for free stuff, I feel leaving negative reviews for freebies is so petty. One of the main points of the review system is to help other consumers avoid paying for something that's not worthwhile. Freebies cost you nothing, so your negative reviews aren't really helping anyone

^^100% agreed! Complaining about freebies is pretty tacky, IMHO. There's the usual entitlement, where ppl throw the "I'm a paying customer!" attitude at the vendor; but for free stuff?! They owe you nothing! And a simple 'Thank you!' should suffice.

• Like 1

Sorry this is a bit off topic.  

I've seen negative reviews on demos that the HUD is not working.  The reasons I am writing this is most HUD issues do not have to do with the creator but with SL.  However, one could contact the creator to see if there is an actual problem with the HUD.  With the internet loaded more than it usually is because of "safer at home" rules, some things are just "wonky" in SL right now.  I've noticed this with many things inworld...it's just a bit "wonky" right now.  Occasionally, HUDs won't work for me either at this time but the creator can't do anything about SL or internet itself related problems.

Edited by FairreLilette

11 hours ago, clivesteel said:

So what? If an item is garbage, the buyer reserves the right to describe it as garbage, so others don't waste their time and effort having said garbage pollute their inventories. 

If this upsets you, don't trade in garbage. 

I find this hard to believe. Such price disparities don't exist in re-sells...unless you are admitting to using a copybot?

Did you actually take the trouble to visit my MP, read the item description, and maybe even get yourself a copy and try it out?  From your comments, it doesn't appear so.

Look.  Years ago a creator made a terrific hugger with great animations.  I paid full price for it at the time.  When she left SL, she graciously made the hugger a freebie for all to enjoy.  She also changed the permissions on it.  It's now full perm...EXCEPT for the animations in it.  You can make copies, give them to your friends...or sell them.  However, you cannot extract the animations from the HUD and use them separately.  It is this that has resulted in a few people leaving me negative reviews, saying, "hey, it's not full perm".  It is.  This item behaves exactly as you would expect a full permission item of this type to behave.  And, my item description clearly states this.

Is it garbage?  No.  It's the best hugger that has ever been available in SL.

Did I copy it?  No.  I got it as a freebie, from the creator's store, before it closed.

Is there price disparity for this item?  Yup.  Do a search on the MP for "Hugger" or "Hug and Kiss". 

Does a freebie that you don't like pollute your inventory?  There's the Delete key, right over there, buster.

Or, you can just p*ss off.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Did you actually take the trouble to visit my MP, read the item description, and maybe even get yourself a copy and try it out?  From your comments, it doesn't appear so.

Look.  Years ago a creator made a terrific hugger with great animations.  I paid full price for it at the time.  When she left SL, she graciously made the hugger a freebie for all to enjoy.  She also changed the permissions on it.  It's now full perm...EXCEPT for the animations in it.  You can make copies, give them to your friends...or sell them.  However, you cannot extract the animations from the HUD and use them separately.  It is this that has resulted in a few people leaving me negative reviews, saying, "hey, it's not full perm".  It is.  This item behaves exactly as you would expect a full permission item of this type to behave.  And, my item description clearly states this.

Is it garbage?  No.  It's the best hugger that has ever been available in SL.

Did I copy it?  No.  I got it as a freebie, from the creator's store, before it closed.

Is there price disparity for this item?  Yup.  Do a search on the MP for "Hugger" or "Hug and Kiss". 

Does a freebie that you don't like pollute your inventory?  There's the Delete key, right over there, buster.

Or, you can just p*ss off.

I didn't know you had a marketplace store! I checked it out because I've been looking for a hugger and this is perfect. Thank you to the original creator and you too for selling it. 😺

it's most appreciated so thank you Lindal.

What I've found in my eleven years in SL is that time passing doesn't make a good product bad simply by it aging. There are people who just want to find anything\everything to complain about. 

Edited by LyricalBookworm
Because spelling and reasons and stuff...
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

here's the same item I give away listed at $L1,500.  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Christmas-Sale-Hug-n-Kiss-Deluxe-HUD-Final/4078067

I need an ohmygaaaaaaaaaawd button.   This is the highest I've ever seen that was something from an original "freebie".  I've seen some ridiculous prices for scripts which are free either in the inworld building schools or in the Linden Library but nothing that asked this much!!!!!!!!!  

Some people....I could just....nevermind.  Urgh!   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

The Genus giveaway annoyed me...cos it was the Genus head I bought when it came out!  But like an adult, I sucked it up and grabbed it for my alts and was thankful for that.

It has become a world full of entitled people and choosing beggars.  When did this happen?

I have the strong head as well and also got the gifted strong head..

I can tell you this much.. They don't look like each other..you can tell the difference..

Right now it's like Strong has three versions..The original,Which was Strong -001, the Strong-001 gift head and Strong-002.

In my eyes, the original and Strong -002 are the ones I like, I'm really liking -002.. I just wish I would have grabbed it when I was demoing..Because the store closed down the next day..

I'm kicking myself for that now..hehehehe

15 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

here's the same item I give away listed at $L1,500

I just cannot believe the gall of some people, but there it is, right in front of me, in black and white (full glorious technicolour, actually!).

Some people!!

21 hours ago, Meredith8888 said:

if i remember right...  the customer service rep of Genus made an official statement saying there is a difference between the free Genus head and the one that was for sale in store.  I don't recall what the customer service rep said the difference was.

Well that sucks!  I missed out then!!  C'est La Vie.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:53 AM, Fauve Aeon said:

...Not to say it’s wrong to collect heads if that’s your jam but really, being offended because you can’t have more free heads? Bit ridiculous...

Makes me think of someone with a locked cabinet full of heads in jars...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rhun DeCuir said:

Makes me think of someone with a locked cabinet full of heads in jars...

And, one is name Abby Normal.  

Sorry, joke from the movie Young Frankenstein....you knew that, right? 

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.