RANT people driving me crazy demanding sl free stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't even know how to begin this.  So, I will just throw it out there. 

I've noticed a many people on sl sliding into group chats.  And these people will start kinda demanding free stuff.  These people will push the customer service, designers, etc in these chats to provide free things, why can't they provide free gifts, when can they provide free gifts.  And these people will state things like, 'Genus provided a free head so why can't u?'  Or, 'Legacy is giving away a free body so why can't this XYZ company give away a free body also?  They need to give one because I don't have any money.  Someone give me money or make them give me a free head/ body.'  The chats will be flooded with these comments.

This is my thing:  I do grab free stuff if i like it.  I for example never had a Genus head before the free one.  I got it, used it and I do like it.  BUT I realize and understand people are running a business.  I AM going to go back to Genus and grab a babyface head when they open back up.  Another words Genus provided me with a free one.  And because its a good company and I like the product I will go a purchase something from them when they open again.  Does not matter if its on sale or not, I'm getting one.  It just rubs me the wrong way to get free stuff from anywhere and there is a segment of people who tend to demand more free stuff.  Then those same people will not help support the business by actually making a purchase.  I have a little more tolerance for people 'demanding' free stuff if they are going to do something to help the company like make a youtube video, post pics on flicker or facebook, etc.  Rant over

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Meredith8888 said:

I've noticed a many people on sl sliding into group chats.  And these people will start kinda demanding free stuff.  These people will push the customer service, designers, etc in these chats to provide free things, why can't they provide free gifts, when can they provide free gifts.  And these people will state things like, 'Genus provided a free head so why can't u?'  Or, 'Legacy is giving away a free body so why can't this XYZ company give away a free body also?  They need to give one because I don't have any money.  Someone give me money or make them give me a free head/ body.'  The chats will be flooded with these comments.

This is my thing:  I do grab free stuff if i like it.  I for example never had a Genus head before the free one.  I got it, used it and I do like it.  BUT I realize and understand people are running a business.  I AM going to go back to Genus and grab a babyface head when they open back up.  Another words Genus provided me with a free one.  And because its a good company and I like the product I will go a purchase something from them when they open again.  Does not matter if its on sale or not, I'm getting one.  It just rubs me the wrong way to get free stuff from anywhere and there is a segment of people who tend to demand more free stuff.  Then those same people will not help support the business by actually making a purchase.  I have a little more tolerance for people 'demanding' free stuff if they are going to do something to help the company like make a youtube video, post pics on flicker or facebook, etc.  Rant over

You should have added this to the pet peeves thread, but yes I agree wiith you.  

• Like 3

I’d like to see the group mods boot these people like they do the people asking for $Linden dollars, it’s the same kind of thing. I know the mods don’t always make the rules and it’s not good to dissuade customers but still, begging is begging and when it gets belligerent, I vote for boot.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I’d like to see the group mods boot these people like they do the people asking for $Linden dollars, it’s the same kind of thing. I know the mods don’t always make the rules and it’s not good to dissuade customers but still, begging is begging and when it gets belligerent, I vote for boot.

I do agree with u.  I think the reason I even wrote this post is because the way some people act at times when wanting free product can be quite aggressive.  Its all been quite eye opening from the demanding, to the working into a rant if they can't get on a sim for a free product, pushing to know exactly when free heads for example will be available again.  And even yesterday and individual threw a fit about a hud for a free head not working in their opinion.  And when the mod tried to be patient and assist the customer he was unwilling to listen, was snappy and rude.  

Can I please add to the rant? How about when a generous creator gives away said product like the Genus head and the 20 Linden Genesis head only to have some do a huge complaint fest about how the product sucks in the group chat? 

I've seen that this last week and was completely floored at how extremely entitled and ungrateful the attitudes are. I don't get it. They are giving away something they spent time and money on creating. What is there to complain about when they are giving it away for free? I tried both heads on my alt and loved them both. I was so thankful to these creators for giving away bento heads I never could of afforded. I went all out for Lyri by saving up for months because she is my main, but I couldn't justify that for an alt so I'm thankful.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I know the mods don’t always make the rules and it’s not good to dissuade customers but still, begging is begging and when it gets belligerent, I vote for boot.

In our group, when it gets belligerent (to the point of being disruptive) the person in question usually loses their chat rights for a few days. That tends to work nicely.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Meredith8888 said:

Gawd, that's ridiculous is all I can say, utterly ridiculous.  You could maybe right click on their name and mute them but that won't get rid of all of them.

It's difficult because we are trying to find some lighthearted entertainment here during these very trying times to deal with some of the BS that is going on inworld.  What can we do but try to make it through it.  The mods will take care of it as they are able to time-wise...they are only human too.  

I always have free stuff...always have...always will...look around my profile for MP and PICKS if you would like any.  I used to change my free artworks quite a lot but just haven't been much in SL lately due to the virus and all it's changes causing me some sadness...I hope to get back to offering free artworks again...and I'm slowly working on my new Catwa Catya head that I waited three years to buy because I was kind of a loser at my first few attempts to make a mesh avatar.  I just got Catya and I want to enjoy some peaceful time on SL too.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Yeah, going to differ a bit with you on this one. :) Begging for $LL is simply despicable, and a first-strike-out offense, far as I'm concerned. But, to follow the example, someone asking, say, Catwa, whether they have a free head to offer too, I find that a lot more palpable. It's like how, come Black Friday, in many games ppl are starting to ask questions about freebies or real good deals. Not exactly the same, but when ppl are feeling free stuff is in the air, so to speak, I can readily see them inquiring about in. And many game companies actually *do* offer free stuff now, what with Corona going on and all. Why? Dunno; maybe because they see it as means to give to the community in a time of need? Who knows.

At any rate, no SL store -- great or small -- should feel obligated to give away anything (after all, as irony would have it, those ppl are equally struggling these days). And no one should feel entitled. Nevertheless, I am willing to see the nuance between outright begging for $LL and asking whether there are freebies around these days.

It does happen.  The only products I "sell" in my tiny Marketplace store are freebies.  Once in a while I get thanks, or a positive review.  But I also get NEGATIVE reviews.

For a gosh darn FREE item.

That's sold by other people...the EXACT SAME item...for up to $L1,000.

(Hey...maybe it's the scammers who are charging for it that are leaving the negative reviews!)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I agree with LyricalBookworm about the 'entitlement'...  i feel that is the word i was looking for earlier.  And I do agree the Genus free head is a beautiful head and I'm using it as my main one as of now.

I also agree with kiramanell no company should feel obligated to give free product away.  I recall a person pushing very hard in the group chat about why a specific head company has not given a free head away.  Not every company wishes to give one away and they totally do not have to ever.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It does happen.  The only products I "sell" in my tiny Marketplace store are freebies.  Once in a while I get thanks, or a positive review.  But I also get NEGATIVE reviews.

(Hey...maybe it's the scammers who are charging for it that are leaving the negative reviews!)

the neg reviews leave you lower in search, so it is possible these people do not want your free items over shadowing their free items so they leave you neg. lol

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Tarina Sewell said:

the neg reviews leave you lower in search, so it is possible these people do not want your free items over shadowing their free items so they leave you neg. lol

That has the ring of truth to it.

See, severe abuse of MP product feedback is normally mitigated by having to buy the product first. But if it's offered for free... No good deed goes unpunished.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

The Genus giveaway annoyed me...cos it was the Genus head I bought when it came out!  But like an adult, I sucked it up and grabbed it for my alts and was thankful for that.

It has become a world full of entitled people and choosing beggars.  When did this happen?

The anything for nothing mentality thrives around here in RL.

I have five Genus heads, all paid for, and when the free one appeared, there's no point in bothering. I also grabbed one for my alt.

Blueberry are having an MP sale, and again there are things I bought full price, buy hey, it happens in RL. 

Just how it is.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 1

There has been a general rise in demand for freebees, lowering prices, the urge to organize charity events, and downright begging for L$, both in-world and in this forum since the onset of social distancing.

As a response, I've donated money to a grassroots mental health organization https://www.nami.org/Home to support their effort into educating people to tell the difference between essential and life-saving resources (food, water,  shelter, communication) and non-essential resources that we can do perfectly without (mesh bodies, Bento heads, virtual airplanes, pixel dresses). To teach them to prioritize in times of need.

It's a long and slow process.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So what? If an item is garbage, the buyer reserves the right to describe it as garbage, so others don't waste their time and effort having said garbage pollute their inventories. 

If this upsets you, don't trade in garbage

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I find this hard to believe. Such price disparities don't exist in re-sells...unless you are admitting to using a copybot?

22 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

So what? If an item is garbage, the buyer reserves the right to describe it as garbage, so others don't waste their time and effort having said garbage pollute their inventories. 

If this upsets you, don't trade in garbage

I find this hard to believe. Such price disparities don't exist in re-sells...unless you are admitting to using a copybot?

Harsh much?  I often grab freebies off MP for my alts and if it's "garbage", I simply delete it - no inventory pollution!  And don't forget, one man's garbage is another man's treasure.   

And if you don't believe price disparities exist in resells, you obviously do not know the gacha community!

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Begging for $LL is simply despicable, and a first-strike-out offense, far as I'm concerned.

Indeed - greedy grasping land owners and club owners who put out their disgusting legalised begging bowls should be kicked off SL!

13 hours ago, kiramanell said:

in many games ppl are starting to ask questions about freebies or real good deals.

Making a polite inquiry is a far cry from ‘demanding free stuff’ and complaining/being pushy or rude if this or that creator does or doesn’t offer something on discount or do a giveaway. ‘Are you going to have a sale or special’ is way different from ‘Well so and so is giving away a head, why can’t you?’ Especially in a store group where then the big fans also defend the decision, tempers flare and it makes the whole group chat tense and unpleasant. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

Indeed - greedy grasping land owners and club owners who put out their disgusting legalised begging bowls should be kicked off SL!

Apples to oranges, club owners and landowners with public sims offer you entertainment and a place to explore, I don’t mind seeing a tip jar when someone is actually doing something that may merit a tip. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Making a polite inquiry is a far cry from ‘demanding free stuff’ and complaining/being pushy or rude if this or that creator does or doesn’t offer something on discount or do a giveaway. ‘Are you going to have a sale or special’ is way different from ‘Well so and so is giving away a head, why can’t you?’ Especially in a store group where then the big fans also defend the decision, tempers flare and it makes the whole group chat tense and unpleasant. 

There's never a place for rudeness. Or demanding. Or overt entitlenent. Or any combination of the 3. Sometimes you can understand why ppl are looking for free stuff, though.

• Like 1

The greed and entitlement come into it when you see something akin to the following:

"I've got the free mesh head from A, the free mesh head from B, and the free mesh head from C. Why won't D give me a free mesh head?"

You've got three free mesh heads already, sweetie. Why do you need a fourth?

• Like 9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.