What is considered a Service to secondlife's marketplace?

Aoleth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whats the 'services' category for exactly? I tried looking on the wiki but they don't actually say what it is, they just name off the categories that are available and when I posted my commissions it got flagged because I guess taking avatar texture commissions isn't the service they're talking about

there's so many things posted to that category too so its not like you can really guess what it is either, there's event advertisements, there's inworld store sale advertisements, music streams, RP wanted posters, but I cant post texture commissions? which is an actual service? But no, gotta save room for the Drop Box Server Storage hoster's advertisements 😔

give us clear and easy information about categories, I shouldn't be searching the wiki for over an hour to come up empty handed because all the links loop back to each other or come to dead ends, also, an actual commission category would be nice if commissions aren't considered services to secondlife.

also, sorry about the highlighting, you're just aloud to make forum posts(for some reason) without being logged in but not post them so i had to save it into discord because i didnt want to write it again and when pasting it, it got highlighted. i dont know how to make it not do that. 

• Moderators

Hello Aoleth,

If your "service" was removed, please ensure that it was listed correctly as required by the Marketplace Listing Guidelines. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines#non-item-listings

"Dispensing catalogs or information regarding a service without actually charging at least 50% of the value of that service."

If you listed a service and didn't set the price to at least 50% of the cost, then the item would be removed if reported. 

1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

Hello Aoleth,

If your "service" was removed, please ensure that it was listed correctly as required by the Marketplace Listing Guidelines. 

"Dispensing catalogs or information regarding a service without actually charging at least 50% of the value of that service."

If you listed a service and didn't set the price to at least 50% of the cost, then the item would be removed if reported. 

What happens if you list a service (such as commissioned work), but it isn't/cannot be completed "in a timely manner" (subjective to what the buyer wants) and the buyer complains/flags it? How is the completion/delivery of services even tracked, since you can't give a reason while flagging a listing?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

What happens if you list a service (such as commissioned work), but it isn't/cannot be completed "in a timely manner" (subjective to what the buyer wants) and the buyer complains/flags it? How is the completion/delivery of services even tracked, since you can't give a reason while flagging a listing?

Hi!

Any issues regarding how long it takes to finish any "Service" project would be an issue between the users (buyer and seller) and not something that Linden Lab would be able to assist with. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, Dakota Linden said:

Hello Aoleth,

None of that tells me what "Services" is though, what counts as service or not, it was taken down for not being a service. Also, If mod commissions where services, having the selling price set to 50% of the final price isnt good either and setting the seller up for awful buyers.  Skin commissions especially for furries fluctuate severely depending on the complexity of what you have to texture, you'll either have to set the price to the most complex price range and refund some of it, or set it to the low price range and ask the buyer to pay more. This opens up to entitled customers thinking they've already payed you enough or people simply not buying from you because they would have to pay much more (even if some of it would be refunded). I've been taking commissions for years, in sl and out of it, for every 2 good customers you get, you get 1 awful customer that makes payment an issue. We really need a category for these kinds of things if they aren't services. Commissions are a huge part of secondlife and should be counted in some way

I think that trying to place commission advertisements on the Second Life Marketplace is what you are wanting is that right?

You see that's the problem right there - you can't advertise on the marketplace - you need to provide a service. So if you were to list "Customised furry avatar for L$1000" and then list the customisation options that can be picked that would be providing a service as there is a fee which people know about at the time.

However putting a 1L$ advert and getting them to agree to the actual price and conditions after the sale on the marketplace is not really using the marketplace for what it is intended.

The marketplace is not an advertising platform - that's what classifieds are for really. Yes I know that some people use the services as adverts for something but sadly that is not the intent of what it is there for.

Correct services are....

• Shoutcast Server for a set time period and price up front
  • Portrait Commission for a named price up front

etc...

The ones listed as 1L$ but actually not providing what the true cost is are basically flouting the rules and have just not been reported I guess. As @Dakota Linden said, the price listed on the marketplace must be at least 50% of the actual final cost - if it is not then the listing will be removed if it is reported.

Edited by Jet Dallas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.