Should we discuss what the shared experience implies?

Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The fact that I actually do have a law degree wouldn't give me any clarity on this one. I just recall them actually saying a more detailed version of that concept - and it coming about on the heels of and as stated in response to the Phoenix fiasco. 😉

Somewhere out there we should be able to find a blog or post or something from the LL's of several years ago that would clarify the details and correct whatever I got wrong... O.o

Emerald - not Phoenix. Phoenix is the V1.23 predecessor to Firestorm, made by the exact same team as Firestorm. Emerald was the one that had the extra attachment points, a minuscule iFrame on the log in page that was used for a DDOS attack attempt on someone's site and other issues that precipitated the TPV clauses we see today.

Held off on that correction to see if anyone else would catch it or if it'd self-correct.

I poked around in the source code of Emerald some time ago and found some  “interesting” things.  For example, the texture eye dropper tool that allows the user to pick textures off of objects and apply them to the object being edited had been modified to skip the “in inventory and has permission” check.  The result of this was the user could apply any texture they could  see to any object they could edit, simply by clicking on an object face bearing the desired texture.  This was so widely used that after login via Emerald was blocked I fielded many complaints against Second Life Viewer stating the texture eye dropper tool was broken. 

Edited by Ardy Lay

to me without a 3rd party option,  I would not be around,  the chui interface LL uses for their stock viewer can not be configured to how I want and actually need it to be because of my vision, so least one of the viewers I chose to use did have ways of setting it up how I wanted, so it';s the only reason I use it,  if LL would go back to a simpler communication setup/ui, I'd be right back on their viewer.

IIRC, this policy has been put in place when former Linden Lab employee Karl Stiefvater, was developing the crowdfunded Mesh Deformer. When the Lab made the decision to go another route (Fitted Mesh), they had to put something like this in place.

I've read this thread thoroughly and I have to say I have never seen such utter rot spouted by so many clearly intelligent and experienced folk! 

I use the default Linden Viewer when I have to check whether rendering or operational glitches I encounter are reproducible and for NO OTHER reason.

The Linden Viewer has the most user un-friendly interface I could imagine these days.  The OP point about shared experience seems to have been sidelined but to me the blindingly obvious issue regarding object LOD must be the most outstanding case of the TPV having the means to show just HOW BAD the render engine set up in the LL viewer is!

I'm not going to take sides as to which TPV is best, it is entirely subjective, but the issue of RLV/RLVa is a divisive one.  I contend that its use does not significantly breach shared experience rules.  Yes it most assuredly DOES alter the individual user's experience; it is specifically intended to do so!  But it affects no one else and so a "shared experience" case cannot be made.

I hear folk tell me that the Linden viewer, by being simpler (for that read virtually un-tuneable), is better for new users.  I am frequently told the precise converse.  I know with which argument I concur.

Edited by Aishagain

11 hours ago, Aishagain said:

I've read this thread thoroughly and I have to say I have never seen such utter rot spouted by so many clearly intelligent and experienced folk! 

I use the default Linden Viewer when I have to check whether rendering or operational glitches I encounter are reproducible and for NO OTHER reason.

The Linden Viewer has the most user un-friendly interface I could imagine these days.  The OP point about shared experience seems to have been sidelined but to me the blindingly obvious issue regarding object LOD must be the most outstanding case of the TPV having the means to show just HOW BAD the render engine set up in the LL viewer is!

I'm not going to take sides as to which TPV is best, it is entirely subjective, but the issue of RLV/RLVa is a divisive one.  I contend that its use does not significantly breach shared experience rules.  Yes it most assuredly DOES alter the individual user's experience; it is specifically intended to do so!  But it affects no one else and so a "shared experience" case cannot be made.

I hear folk tell me that the Linden viewer, by being simpler (for that read virtually un-tuneable), is better for new users.  I am frequently told the precise converse.  I know with which argument I concur.

The "shared experience" relates to the world itself, not the interface through which you view the world. Otherwise text-only clients would definitely be banned.

• Thanks 1

@Wulfie Reanimator:  Indeed.  Read my post again please.  My comments about the user interfaces address other posts, not simply the OP.  The banning of the Emerald viewer (no salt added) was, by the main criterion, a foregone conclusion.  A case under the "shared experience" criteria  could also be made against Firestorm for it's ability to create with non-standard permissions, but I rather doubt that Linden Lab would pursue such a course of action unless it wished to commit suicide.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.