That video on the blog page introducing EEP.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry, Lindens, but perhaps you should remind yourself of the fact that a large number of the people in SL don't have English as the first language. The voice of that funny (?) little bot makes the message close to incomprehensible. For many of us you could as well have make it speak Klingon....

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Jo Yardley said:

It also wasn't very funny, perhaps even a tat irritating.

While watching the video all I could think about was about how much better Torley was at making these kinds of videos.

While I definitely agree with your comment, it could also be that the video maker was given a task and a METHOD of delivery, so not necessarily their fault. I also hated the overly "camp" videos on the changes in Linden Realms and perhaps some others.  So it simply could be what Linden Lab WANTED.   

At least the wiki is pretty clear.  :D.   

I just wrote a similar comment in a thread about EEP over in the General Discussion. While I did chuckle at the humor, I was ultimately disappointed and annoyed with the video. As an intro to EEP I think it failed because if that is what its purpose was there should have been a lot more of just "this is how cool everything looks" and as an educational video it failed miserably as there wasn't enough info on the nuts and bolts, the pacing was too fast, the voice too annoying and difficult to understand (and English IS my first language) and so on. I don't blame the video maker, as Chic was saying (above), the video quality etc is fine. I assume this was LL's call, and I just feel it missed whatever mark to which it was being aimed.

Edited by Seicher Rae

As someone with a degree of hearing loss I found the voice to be almost unintelligible. There is no way google can generate subtitles for it, so the entire video was a total loss. After I pointed it out in a comment, LL added another linking to the KB's written instructions.

The whole experience is just infuriating

.. as it not only requires future viewers magically know to look for a comment, it makes it clear that zero effort was given to accessibility during production and zero effort will be given afterwards. YouTube tries to make it easy by providing an automatic captioning system, and when that fails you can provide your own captions. .... which should be fairly easy if the content was scripted in advance.

Those captions can then be used as the basis for machine translation, extending content to a wider, non-English speaking audience.

Beyond that the entire point of making a video is that it has higher accessibility than pages and pages of text.

Accessibility should not be an after thought as it benefits far more than just a specific few with specific issues.

Also, as an aside, if the goal isn't to patronize SL's mostly mature audience, maybe not use a puppet with a squeaky voice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.