Any way to avoid linden body from showing when BoM meshes are loading?

MelodicRain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since BoM disables alpha, I end up looking like a complete freak (mesh body shape + ugly linden body = nightmare fuel) during the ~10-20sec that my mesh body parts load, possibly longer on laggier sims. Is there any way to avoid this?

Edited by MelodicRain

Probably not, but don't worry, people with non-BoM mesh and mesh clothes also look like complete freaks for that length of time when they TP somewhere and their clothes and other parts hang about in odd places or stay invisible before they all get together and settle down.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

Two thoughts come to mind: wear a prim that covers you up during the change, or use an animation that puts you underground.

Either or these could be scripted to trigger automatically when you TP to a new region, and to stay in effect for a set time, or you could tell it to start and stop manually.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, MelodicRain said:

Since BoM disables alpha, I end up looking like a complete freak (mesh body shape + ugly linden body = nightmare fuel) during the ~10-20sec that my mesh body parts load, possibly longer on laggier sims. Is there any way to avoid this?

1) Rezz a prim cube and attach it to yourself.

2) Edit it, go to "Select Face" and texture various faces with with the bakes that you normally use for your body/head - you can get up to six different bakes on the same cube.

3) Shrink it down so it's tiny and stays hidden inside your body.

4) Wear the same cube with all your outfits.

It should load almost instantly and since it uses the "magic bake textures" it will shut off the appropriate sections of your system body just like a BoM body will. Then your system body will stay hidden until your mesh body/head loads. You can keep it on all the time; your body and the cube can both wear avatar bakes at the same time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 4/21/2020 at 11:44 PM, MelodicRain said:

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but not all mesh bodies take an eternity to load.

On 4/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but not all mesh bodies take an eternity to load.

Rezzing mesh bits is small potatoes compared to the BOM reality: standing there naked, hairless and shaped like a deformed Venus of Willendorf (or a Frankenstein with rickets if you're a guy) for up to 60 seconds on a busy sim.  And you appear that way to every single person who tps in.  NIGHTMARE, oh YEAH!

The whole thing has absolutely turned me off of BOM.  I won't touch it until they stop the freakshow.  It's just too scary!

• Like 1

I've had a few issues with this but it's not much different than tp'ing into some place and mesh body parts are flying around all over the place, or my mesh body rezzes first and then my clothes do so for a brief moment of time I'm naked (or other people are naked). It's always interesting trying to figure out - are they really naked or are their clothes just not showing up yet. 

I just shrug and chalk it up to SL.. I mean at least I don't have to do anything unlike in the days when you'd tp and find your hair or an earring or shoe attached to your butt and have to take it off and put it on again. And some AOs would cause this weird thing where you're body would fold in half.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/23/2020 at 1:36 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

1) Rezz a prim cube and attach it to yourself.

2) Edit it, go to "Select Face" and texture various faces with with the bakes that you normally use for your body/head - you can get up to six different bakes on the same cube.

3) Shrink it down so it's tiny and stays hidden inside your body.

4) Wear the same cube with all your outfits.

It should load almost instantly and since it uses the "magic bake textures" it will shut off the appropriate sections of your system body just like a BoM body will. Then your system body will stay hidden until your mesh body/head loads. You can keep it on all the time; your body and the cube can both wear avatar bakes at the same time.

Really smart idea. Will try it out.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 11:58 PM, Aebleskiver Thibedeau said:

Rezzing mesh bits is small potatoes compared to the BOM reality: standing there naked, hairless and shaped like a deformed Venus of Willendorf (or a Frankenstein with rickets if you're a guy) for up to 60 seconds on a busy sim.  And you appear that way to every single person who tps in.  NIGHTMARE, oh YEAH!

The whole thing has absolutely turned me off of BOM.  I won't touch it until they stop the freakshow.  It's just too scary!

Seeing people eyes and teeth floating in the air for 5 minutes doesn't? :P

(Also bodies made by better creators don't take a year to load)

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

This issue should be addressed in the latest MAINT viewer which is slated to be merged with release soon.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.3.9.538719.html

This was supposedly fixed back in March?

Can we tell if that merged up to the released version of the Linden viewer? and Firestorm and etc?

Cuz it seems as if it's still happening. (and I could swear that I've been seeing it, too)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Can we tell if that merged up to the released version of the Linden viewer? and Firestorm and etc?

is fixed in Linden viewer: Second Life Release 6.4.2.541639 (64bit). Am a cloud until all my parts arrive then rezzed as a whole

not fixed yet in my primary alternate viewer: Catznip R12.3 - Oct 14 2019 14:36:53 (64bit) (Catznip Release)

not sure about Firestorm or any other

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

is fixed in Linden viewer: Second Life Release 6.4.2.541639 (64bit). Am a cloud until all my parts arrive then rezzed as a whole

not fixed yet in my primary alternate viewer: Catznip R12.3 - Oct 14 2019 14:36:53 (64bit) (Catznip Release)

not sure about Firestorm or any other

Firestorm not updated with fix, or it is something else.

Also lately I experience parts (breast) missing, when I change clothing and I have to toggle baked on mesh in order to force the missing parts to show. Simple force appearance update does not work, only disabling baked on mesh and enable it again.

The steps above make the underlying Linden body appear.

Edited by Rachel1206

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.