You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I am currently having trouble entering the world. I've been around for 2 hours and I can't. The funny thing is that I have another avatar and access without problems. This is a server issue where is this avatar? because you can enter with an avatar and not with this one?
This has been going on for several days, in the end after several hours I manage to get in but every day I have the same problem

I have sent a ticket to support, waiting for a response

13 hours ago, Aeromia said:

13446c65fe488bf9abbbaf1bed9e516a.png.b9a29eb764bfc6c797439d7dede4cd00.png

Ummm.  DARPA designed the internet to route around faults.  That's the whole purpose of it so that in a nuclear war communications in US don't all go down.

So my question is:  WHICH BASTARD CHANGED IT?  And: Can we have them shot?

Hi @Leti Hax,

Hopefully, support will help you out. Don't forget though that there is the Technical Forum, with sections for SL Web, SL Server, SL Viewer and SL Tech General Discussion. There's a number of whizz-kids that are very active in those sections and will willingly suggest remedies that might solve your problem very quickly.

(Always remember to supply everything from your viewer's Help - About [viewer name] page so that they will have something to work with. You can easily copy and paste that page into your post.)

2 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

Ummm.  DARPA designed the internet to route around faults.  That's the whole purpose of it so that in a nuclear war communications in US don't all go down.

So my question is:  WHICH BASTARD CHANGED IT?  And: Can we have them shot?

The 'bastard' that changed it was 'big business'.  The Internet is now a patchwork of commercial networks,  all allocating the minimum resources to the maximum traffic to maximize profits.  When construction equipment damages two of the most heavily trafficked optical cables in the continent, severe congestion happens.  Network operators often rig their route advertisements to "hot-potato" route traffic, to get it off their own network at a peering point that is economically favorable to their own operations.  These rigged route advertisements often interfere with BGPv4's ability to re-converge optimally during a transport failure.  Hey, look:  More congestion.  Sometimes routes get discarded instead of implemented in fabric because the distance is either too great, the transit cost is too great, or there isn't a peering agreement in place to transit the alternate path chosen by the routing protocol.  It's a mess.  Operators of access networks now have to connect to no fewer than three transport networks to REDUCE the effects of damage to the transport networks.  Sometimes that isn't enough, as was demonstrated when CenturyLink took damage in two locations yesterday.  Another thing I will rant and stew about is the transport network operators are buying up each other.  Many of the big carriers have become mega-carriers, and they may be over consolidating redundancies to increase peak capacity and minimize operating expenses.  I see I have looped back to where this rant started so I will stop now.

17 hours ago, Chellefire Burger said:

This takes me back to my early days in SL. Getting kicked off the grid for no apparent reason, trying for hours to log back in. Those were (apparently still are) the days.

I can remember once, when Rhun was but an infant AV, when TPs would frequently stop working.  You'd try logging off and back on, set to home or another region, and you would get the failed TP error, and find yourself still where you were when you logged off.  What fun!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

The 'bastard' that changed it was 'big business'.  The Internet is now a patchwork of commercial networks,  all allocating the minimum resources to the maximum traffic to maximize profits.  When construction equipment damages two of the most heavily trafficked optical cables in the continent, severe congestion happens.  Network operators often rig their route advertisements to "hot-potato" route traffic, to get it off their own network at a peering point that is economically favorable to their own operations.  These rigged route advertisements often interfere with BGPv4's ability to re-converge optimally during a transport failure.  Hey, look:  More congestion.  Sometimes routes get discarded instead of implemented in fabric because the distance is either too great, the transit cost is too great, or there isn't a peering agreement in place to transit the alternate path chosen by the routing protocol.  It's a mess.  Operators of access networks now have to connect to no fewer than three transport networks to REDUCE the effects of damage to the transport networks.  Sometimes that isn't enough, as was demonstrated when CenturyLink took damage in two locations yesterday.  Another thing I will rant and stew about is the transport network operators are buying up each other.  Many of the big carriers have become mega-carriers, and they may be over consolidating redundancies to increase peak capacity and minimize operating expenses.  I see I have looped back to where this rant started so I will stop now.

Thanks for that.

Seems like the USA needs an Anti-Trust-like Strategic Communications act then.  You know, like the one that they tried to use to take down Microsoft for destroying competition - it failed, of course.  Politicians are such <expletive deleted> everywhere.

19 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I responded with the "thank you" icon but also wanted to use the sad face. This does make me incredibly sad. My brain does NOT work in such ways that I suspect a scam with something like this. I'm not an idiot, I do understand about not accepting objects from strangers, that Nigerian princes probably are not giving me millions, etc. Because of my situation I have received wonderful gifts of cash from who-knows-where... obvious alts who were created to give a gift anonymously. It has made me stupidly happy. Now if it ever happens again I will have that tinge of paranoia and suspicion because gawd knows I have people who are not my fans. And as much as I am a misanthrope, with cause, I just really don't like the idea that this is a thing that "people" (loosely defined) do. 

sad cat 2.gif

And the paranoia struck today. I did a double take when I finally noticed my account's Linden$ balance today. It was substantially larger than it should of been. I went to look at my account and tried to remember what I was supposed to say when making a notice to LL, and figuring because of this thread that someone who doesn't like me (there are one or two...ikr? shocker) saw this thread and got an idea. But my records showed a message with the gift, and I believe that there is nothing shifty going on, and paranoia quickly switched to gratitude and happiness and made me be less of a misanthrope while bringing tears to my eyes... n stuff.

So since my anonymous benefactor obviously is reading this thread, let me thank you very loudly and sincerely here. MWAH! Whoever you are, ♥.

pusheen thank you.gif

20 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

The servers are in the US and thus were affected.

Maybe you misunderstood me. Yes I know the servers affected are in the US. 
And I was just telling, that Germans felt the consequences too. Because everything is connected in the internet. 
I suspected, that lots of people in the US thought this was a "purely American thing" and I just wanted to show that there is a "rest of the world" who could not log in too. 
your answer simply shows that I suspected right. 

Edited by Anidusa Carolina
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Anidusa Carolina said:

Maybe you misunderstood me. Yes I know the servers affected are in the US. 
And I was just telling, that Germans felt the consequences too. Because everything is connected in the internet. 
I suspected, that lots of people in the US thought this was a "purely American thing" and I just wanted to show that there is a "rest of the world" who could not log in too. 
your answer simply shows that I suspected right. 

No, it doesn't and a few of those responding in this thread are in countries across the world.

Your suspicion was incorrect - simply put. Most understand quite well how the Internet works so your earlier statements .... simply were not needed.

"Maybe" you misunderstood something that was little more than a factual statement: The servers that were affected exist in X region of the world. That states nothing more than where they are located.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

The servers that were affected exist in X region of the world. That states nothing more than where they are located.

I know. Maybe my English isn't good enough to express my thoughts, neither Ronda Huntress nor you got it, so it must be my fault. 
But it is not really important...... no need to tell you that there is a background story to this, which you cannot know.......
Sort of an insider. Forums may be the wrong place for such "insiders". Sorry.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.