You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just read this thread, and between 10000000000 people just typing "I can't log in either!" there are some comedy gems.

However, did I miss it, because surely in this time of pandemic and self-isolation somebody had to have speculated it was a computer VIRUS. ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Be careful! This technique has been used to grief people in the past. Check your Account->L$ Transaction History (upper left of your web dashboard) to see where the money came from. If you don't recognize the person, file an abuse report against Governor Linden and explain that L$5K has mysteriously appeared in your account. LL will look into it.

Here's how to file an AR... 

How is this griefing? I'd be hopping up and down to get $L5000!

I have, in the past received anonymous donations and they've been nothing but a wonderful surprise.

21 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

How is this griefing? I'd be hopping up and down to get $L5000!

I have, in the past received anonymous donations and they've been nothing but a wonderful surprise.

The donated LS$ have been obtained from hijacked accounts. When discovered, LL has locked all of the recipient accounts. I've no idea why someone would do that, that's what I recall.

If LL can't find anything amiss, they'll leave things alone.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The donated LS$ have been obtained from hijacked accounts. When discovered, LL has locked all of the recipient accounts. I've no idea why someone would do that, that's what I recall.

Yeah, I can remember instances of this back in the good ol' days.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I responded with the "thank you" icon but also wanted to use the sad face. This does make me incredibly sad. My brain does NOT work in such ways that I suspect a scam with something like this. I'm not an idiot, I do understand about not accepting objects from strangers, that Nigerian princes probably are not giving me millions, etc. Because of my situation I have received wonderful gifts of cash from who-knows-where... obvious alts who were created to give a gift anonymously. It has made me stupidly happy. Now if it ever happens again I will have that tinge of paranoia and suspicion because gawd knows I have people who are not my fans. And as much as I am a misanthrope, with cause, I just really don't like the idea that this is a thing that "people" (loosely defined) do. 

sad cat 2.gif

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I responded with the "thank you" icon but also wanted to use the sad face. This does make me incredibly sad. My brain does NOT work in such ways that I suspect a scam with something like this. I'm not an idiot, I do understand about not accepting objects from strangers, that Nigerian princes probably are not giving me millions, etc. Because of my situation I have received wonderful gifts of cash from who-knows-where... obvious alts who were created to give a gift anonymously. It has made me stupidly happy. Now if it ever happens again I will have that tinge of paranoia and suspicion because gawd knows I have people who are not my fans. And as much as I am a misanthrope, with cause, I just really don't like the idea that this is a thing that "people" (loosely defined) do. 

sad cat 2.gif

Yeah, I understand your feeling.

But, if it really is an act of kindness, LL won't do anything about it. Reporting the mysterious deposit is itself an act of kindness.

• Like 1

For those expecting anything on the internet to be perfect... it will not be. Things happen. Humans are not perfect, humans created the internet. Just chill out.

And for some that have suggestions on what should be done, please consider the cost involved. Already people complain about the cost of SL.

8 minutes ago, Chellefire Burger said:

This takes me back to my early days in SL. Getting kicked off the grid for no apparent reason, trying for hours to log back in. Those were (apparently still are) the days.

From what I read, it's not exclusively SL.

You've never had internet or power outages have you?

• Lindens
1 hour ago, InventedSuicide said:

Nope, they’re all empty ... :/ 

Another possibility is a LindeX order you may have forgotten about (since the exchange rate has been moving recently) - say if you had placed an order for a particular rate some time back and the LindeX only got to the volume at this rate now, it would have only filled now.  

....by the way........we all know how everything is connected with everything in the world wide web. So, okay, an American Provider had a cable cut. Don't you think just US people felt the consequences!
I had the same difficulties of logging in, managed it by luck, but a friend of mine whom I wanted to meet called me cause she had been trying for over an hour and gave up. And Data transfer was so slow, that building something in SL was nearly impossible. And we are here in good old Germany.
So that makes clear that everything happening somewhere has consequences for the entire rest of the world, now, in times of www.

Sometimes it scares me to see how closely everything is connected. Even if the advantages of a "shrunk together world" are humangeous.

Edited by Anidusa Carolina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.