Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 63 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Lee McKay said:

No, actually, you can't. LOL. Unless you think 4 months was long. I don't.

I was referring to people using Firestorm where the FS folks do not block the viewer until three releases are out -- and then of course they warn you. 

 

 You are not REQUIRED to install the EEP Firestorm viewer. Many of us are still on the FS BOM viewer and you could actually be on an older one. They will be blocking  6.2.4.57588 which came out on July 19, 2019 SO that is sixteen months as an example, not four :D.  Have no idea what your four months refers to. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think its a good thing it is now an object in inventory. After all, our inventory is never big enough, and finding things in there is so super easy......

I watched the video last night. Think I can finally die happy, now that Patch has mooned* at me *watch to the very end

Finally, a opportunity to make the moon a literal block of cheese.

Posted Images

I hated EEP and went back a viewer. My friend implored me to try EEP once more. Now I love it. One simple click in firestorms Quick Prefs button and select Day Cycle 'Age of Sorcery'. Now the SL world looks like this on my AMD graphics and I love it ...

wewr.png.e208d6f2c8d58bbac6bec58ff91917f8.png

Everything goes sort of hazy the further away it is, and it looks very realistic. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, RowanMinx said:

You still don't HAVE to use the new viewer.  I'm not.

I’ve always had both FS and the LL viewer installed, it’s handy for logging on an alt to place furniture. FS has been my viewer of preference for years (particularly when travelling) and having seen that so many haven’t been happy with the latest version (I always wait to see feedback before updating), I’m intending to keep to the previous version for as long as possible. However... when staying at my various parcels I find that I’m increasingly using the LL viewer in order to enjoy EEP. My ‘old house’ main parcel is now fogbound and I love it! My space station has a Milky Way instead of the sun, and my LH parcel is set to mimic my own RL daylight hours. It’s good to find the strengths in alternatives and play them to your advantage :) 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 12/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, RowanMinx said:

You still don't HAVE to use the new viewer.  I'm not.

You will. Only three versions can be used. As new ones come out, the old ones stop being allowed. So yeah, eventually, you do have to use it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2020 at 12:21 PM, Chic Aeon said:

I was referring to people using Firestorm where the FS folks do not block the viewer until three releases are out -- and then of course they warn you. 

 

 You are not REQUIRED to install the EEP Firestorm viewer. Many of us are still on the FS BOM viewer and you could actually be on an older one. They will be blocking  6.2.4.57588 which came out on July 19, 2019 SO that is sixteen months as an example, not four :D.  Have no idea what your four months refers to. 

 

 

 

They've released more than three versions in 16 months. Regardless, you'll be on an EEP viewer soon enough. Enjoy it! Better to get used to it now than when you're forced to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, its not without its flaws but I kind of like it. But then again, I've never been one to walk around with CaWL or Nam's all the time anyway, I've always liked more contrasted lighting. 

I've found having some EEP settings handy definitely helps, because even if you change your setting to the WL ones, it still won't be the same. I've been using some of the ones by Juicy Bomb, they're only 1L on MP https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/JuicyBomb-EEP-Settings/17900748

I think as more people mess around with it and make EEP settings available, it won't be so bad. But it definitely helps to have some to play around with.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Janet Voxel said:

I dunno, its not without its flaws but I kind of like it. But then again, I've never been one to walk around with CaWL or Nam's all the time anyway, I've always liked more contrasted lighting. 

I've found having some EEP settings handy definitely helps, because even if you change your setting to the WL ones, it still won't be the same. I've been using some of the ones by Juicy Bomb, they're only 1L on MP https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/JuicyBomb-EEP-Settings/17900748

I think as more people mess around with it and make EEP settings available, it won't be so bad. But it definitely helps to have some to play around with.

 

I'm glad you said that. I've always respected the wishes of region owners and their lighting choices. I want to see their locations the way they intended them to be seen, not in a glaring light or black of night (unless it's their choice). I get very frustrated with people that walk around with a default windlight set. I truly find it offensive, because I'm one of those who takes careful pains in lighting a scene in a very specific way, and overriding that, well, I'd just as soon they not see it at all.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like the UI control for Firestorms EEP, to me that is changing something just for the sake of changing something that didn't need to be changed. But in a nutshell, EEP is just WL And I really wish more people would get onto EEP cause it solves one issue that WL made difficult. I video weddings and always make a new WL for each event (now a new 'sky') and it is great often for the photographer and videographer to be coordinated on the lighting. Before Id have to send them the xml and they would have to know where that xml had to be put in the file directory - and most didnt know. Now, I can just send them the 'sky' inventory item and they can load that - only most of the wedding photographers Ive worked with recently refuse to go EEP cause they think it sucks or its too hard to learn or whatever

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lee McKay said:

I'm glad you said that. I've always respected the wishes of region owners and their lighting choices. I want to see their locations the way they intended them to be seen, not in a glaring light or black of night (unless it's their choice). I get very frustrated with people that walk around with a default windlight set. I truly find it offensive, because I'm one of those who takes careful pains in lighting a scene in a very specific way, and overriding that, well, I'd just as soon they not see it at all.

I learned about lighting from someone who was doing amazing things with lighting, spec and normal maps even with WL. I think people that like contrasted lighting are a minority and hopefully this will force people to rethink lighting in SL and how they actually light their regions and parcels. It might even make people rethink how they use specular and normal maps on objects too.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I do finally update, I'll still use my preferred lighting.  The only time I use a regional setting is if I'm doing a photo at a specific place and wish to see it as intended.  Wandering shopping events or mainland, I still prefer to see it how I'd like to see it.  I'm glad they at least left us with that option.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

When I do finally update, I'll still use my preferred lighting.  The only time I use a regional setting is if I'm doing a photo at a specific place and wish to see it as intended.  Wandering shopping events or mainland, I still prefer to see it how I'd like to see it.  I'm glad they at least left us with that option.

That's a shame. You miss out on so much with that attitude.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lee McKay said:

They've released more than three versions in 16 months. Regardless, you'll be on an EEP viewer soon enough. Enjoy it! Better to get used to it now than when you're forced to.

I have been exploring it and have written a few tutorials and made free EEP skies for folks to pick up. Doesn't mean I want to be using it for photography.   

 

And it is my impression that the FS folks are not all that thrilled with the way EEP has rolled out (this from various public comments) and they waited pretty much as long as they could before adding it to the viewer --- and then as an optional "beta".  Now of course there is the first EEP viewer that counts.   

 

Hopefully by the time we are FORCED to use it, it will be considerably better than it is now and with less issues. The IDEA was great, just not the implementation (IMO).   So I will happily wait until I have to or until I hear a ton of glowing reports. So far I only have one friend that I know of that updated and he doesn't do photography, just sets the windlight on a custom setting and never changes it. 

 

And at @RowanMinx  The problem is (or can be) that your favorite Windlight sky setting doesn't  often look the same (sometimes not even close to the same at the moment). Of course you can build another favorite sky and sometimes you can tweak your old one to be close (I made a tutorial making your first custom Windlight sky too).  And that is what we'll need to do.  It is the folks that have been switching skies (many skies) daily for a decade or so that will have the most issues.   So far anyway I am not in the EEP camp.  I may get there eventually if EEP meets me most of the way.

 

:SwingingFriends: 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have been exploring it and have written a few tutorials and made free EEP skies for folks to pick up. Doesn't mean I want to be using it for photography.   

 

And it is my impression that the FS folks are not all that thrilled with the way EEP has rolled out (this from various public comments) and they waited pretty much as long as they could before adding it to the viewer --- and then as an optional "beta".  Now of course there is the first EEP viewer that counts.   

 

Hopefully by the time we are FORCED to use it, it will be considerably better than it is now and with less issues. The IDEA was great, just not the implementation (IMO).   So I will happily wait until I have to or until I hear a ton of glowing reports. So far I only have one friend that I know of that updated and he doesn't do photography, just sets the windlight on a custom setting and never changes it. 

 

And at @RowanMinx  The problem is (or can be) that your favorite Windlight sky setting doesn't  often look the same (sometimes not even close to the same at the moment). Of course you can build another favorite sky and sometimes you can tweak your old one to be close (I made a tutorial making your first custom Windlight sky too).  And that is what we'll need to do.  It is the folks that have been switching skies (many skies) daily for a decade or so that will have the most issues.   So far anyway I am not in the EEP camp.  I may get there eventually if EEP meets me most of the way.

 

:SwingingFriends: 

I wouldn't look for much to change. It's been a finished product in the LL viewer for over a year now. FS was late to the game. EEP is pretty much what it's going to be.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lee McKay said:

I wouldn't look for much to change. It's been a finished product in the LL viewer for over a year now. FS was late to the game. EEP is pretty much what it's going to be.

Not according to the Inara's report on the latest meeting. Linden Lab is still working on it AND incorporating 3rd party developer's code into EEP.   I am sure you can find that article if you want to :D

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 63 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...