Ameyuoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings,

i am not sure if this is the right Thread for it.... but i try it here :)

So what i want to Talk about is Deep Water for Mainland Sims... like deep deep water, oceanlike deep, for example Visit this Mainland and take a quick jump in the Water: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Miller/223/87/87

So we are talking about Water that is around 50-100 Meter deep... and thats what i want for most of sl water, Deep Water where you can Dive with or without Vehicles, where you can Explore the deep darknes under the Sea...

There are barely any deep Water Mainland sims and this is a problem... so please all you Lindens and Linden Moles... plese bring us deep water... and if you want to make it perfect please make it Rezzable so people can fight on big and deep Oceans....

ohhh and... please connect the Continents :D with deeeeeeeep Black Water there doesnt even have to be anything in it... :D

in hope that someone reads this... and gives us mor Deep Water....

Aveline Lutece (ameyuoi)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ameyuoi said:

Greetings,

So what i want to Talk about is Deep Water for Mainland Sims... like deep deep water, oceanlike deep, for example Visit this Mainland and take a quick jump in the Water: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Miller/223/87/87

So we are talking about Water that is around 50-100 Meter deep... and thats what i want for most of sl water, Deep Water where you can Dive with or without Vehicles, where you can Explore the deep darknes under the Sea...

There are barely any deep Water Mainland sims and this is a problem... so please all you Lindens and Linden Moles... plese bring us deep water... and if you want to make it perfect please make it Rezzable so people can fight on big and deep Oceans....

ohhh and... please connect the Continents :D with deeeeeeeep Black Water there doesnt even have to be anything in it... :D

Aveline Lutece (ameyuoi)

The standard water level in SL is 20m. The SLURL you quoted shows 87m, so the only way to have deeper water is to raise the land. The part of the Sansara continent which includes the Miller region is a higher land and water level, and if you explore to the points where the level drops, Sutherland for example, you’ll see that the only way the different levels can be achieved is by having the raised land as a barrier between them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...

There are two neighbouring sim regions at Wall and Star which form parts of a giant lake in south-east Sansara continent.

Parts of these two regions form a very deep trench in the lake bed with 0m altitude and with a surface water level of 80m.  As its so deep there, very little sunlight gets down that far, which can make it feel a bit creepy. This may be the deepest water in all of SL's mainland as far as I can tell. Normally, the default water height is 20m around the coasts and in rivers.

This lake, with its high water level, is surrounded (or contained) by mountains and three massive dams at Ganymede, Sugarloaf and Sutherland .

This is also why it's impossible to travel from Sansara's north to south (or vice versa) coasts by boat because of the different water levels.  Sadly, nobody has invented working lock gates for SL.

Yet...

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 6

On 4/21/2020 at 3:07 PM, Ameyuoi said:

Oh yes, that's one of the things I miss in SL too.

7 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

As its so deep there, very little sunlight gets down that far, which can make it feel a bit creepy.

On my private grid I have sea level set to 100 m and yes, it makes a huge difference. But I also sometimes lower the seabed below 0 and that's where you really get the deep sea feeling. There's no sunlight at all down there, only local light sources. But that's opensim of course, not Second Life. SL's heightmaps are only 16 bit so you can't really have deep oceans or high mountains there. I think the limit is 512 m from top to bottom. Opensim has 32 bit heightmaps which may be a bit of an overkill (262,144 m from top to bottom if my calculations are correct) but I love it!

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 9:07 AM, Ameyuoi said:

Greetings,

Aveline Lutece (ameyuoi)

I think it's helpful to remember why there are no 40+/- sims any more: they were abused and there is no big demand for them.

I happen to have several sims with deep water and I love it, and it rents pretty well, but what's interesting to note -- over the years, very few tenants take advantage of this wonderful deep water and build a grotto or mermaid cave or space station or something cool. Most people ignore it. It's actually not in demand as I can tell you from practical experience. Some people sail, but it so happens that the 7 Linden Seas these areas are near are at a different level than other more famous seas, there is no check gates like on the Erie Canal where I grew up, and while in theory you can sort of paddle and portage your way over to those seas, no one is going to bother. So they generally go unsailed. Anyone who seriously wants a deep water sim can buy an  island and make this on an island. The Lindens don't convert the nature of Mainland sims from one thing to another, i.e. they don't change geography or features or rating. They also no longer make and auction off entire sims (entire sims you see on the auction occasionally are previously resident-owned.) There are no large numbers of people clamouring for deep water sims, so they don't make them, even on Bellisseria where they could in theory.

And here's the thing: when the Lindens first started out and had their original sims on the Sansara continent with this ability, people used the height and depth capacity to harass others they didn't like, or they bullied their neighbours with it until they sold or abandoned their land, or they just generally created havoc because they feel that's what you should get to do on the Mainland.

So how did this work?

o "Terror-forming" -- this is when you have that enormous of a capacity to terraform, so that any terraforming you do jacks up your neighbour's lot just a bit, even if you are different owners. Even if you can't do *much* on property you don't own, you can give somebody an enormous flat wall to stare at, or just a lot of ugly bumps to look at up to the sky. It used to be that the ability to terraform could be left open on land, and this would lead to people griefing it and pushing land way up and sinking builds. That ability is turned off now.

o "Lake-simming" -- this is when people terraformed down, and sunk a sim, and sometimes neighbouring land, which created a sea where before there was water. This might seem fun until you realize it just looks like flooding and mayhem.

o Making huge, ugly builds on top of land crazily high in the middle of a sim, or on prime waterfront, where everyone else had a "normal" level.

So the Lindens decided to solve what is a social and legal problem -- people not willing to restrain their havoc and hedonism and hatred of neighbours -- which could have been solved by governance, i.e. making it an offense against the TOS if you harmed your neighbour's land or view -- they decided to make it a technical issue and only solve it technically.

So why did they do that? Well, in part because that's how they roll, they're techies. They don't want to be in the governance business -- endless consumer complaints and customer service. They can't define things, or so they think, and "harming the view" becomes something that bad-willed types endlessly edge-case and question. I think if they own the platform and feel they can set norms and do what they want, they can make judgement calls and they can set precedents.

But that's not how the Lindens work; they like technical solutions like "always making sims to terraform only 4 +/-".

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.