Time to Upgrade

Nalytha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Current Body: Maitreya 
Current Head: LOGO Bento Quinn

I've played off and on for many years, however I've always kept my avatar simple. I had a mesh head from LOGO, so when Bento stuff came out, I just bought something I was familiar with LOGO - their Quinn Bento head. And it was a fine upgrade. I didn't do anything to it aside from make sure the skin matched my body and was blended at the neck. I only used whatever customization settings came with the LOGO or Maitreya hud. I've never tried to use Omega stuff or makeup appliers. 

That said, I think I'm ready to tiptoe into further customizing my avatar. Can anyone recommend some sources of tutorials or information to get started? I was look at Catwa bento heads. Are those a good idea or should I look elsewhere? I don't have a problem with the Maitreya body, but should I be considering other options? Should I just keep my current head and focus on learning how to use omega for appliers to further customize? 

I asked the LOGO group where my current head was being sold in the store and someone told me it was " soooooooo old." Should I upgrade in that case? 

I'm so overwhelmed! 

Snapshot_001.png

Edited by Nalytha
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Nalytha said:

I asked the LOGO group where my current head was being sold in the store and someone told me it was " soooooooo old." Should I upgrade in that case? 

I have one of the very first (not Bento) heads from Lelutka.  I am happy with my look and don't see any reason to change. I have some Bento heads (free but nice ones) but have never used them. So I suggest you pay attention to what PLEASES YOU and not listen to folks that likely buy things "just" because they are new. My favorite and still much better looking that much of what is on the market today formal is from the VERY EARLY days of mesh -- so like six years or so ago.  Honestly I haven't seen anything that looks better or is more nicely made.  

Just some thoughts. 

• Like 1

If you want to do some more customization, the very first step should be playing with your shape. Your shape determines everything, your perceived weight, your figure including your breast size, butt shape, length, etc. But it also determines what your face looks like. You can adjust pretty much anything, head shape, mouth, jaw shape, chin, nose, eyes, cheekbones, eyebrows, anything. 

So, play around with that before you fork over thousands of L$ for a new head.

As for your head being "soooooo old", eff them. If you are happy with your head, then THAT is the yardstick, whether your head is 7 days old or 7 years.

TIP: Create a copy of the shape that you use now, rename it to something like "My Test Shape" and play around with that one. This way you always have a shape that works for you, in case you mess up the copy. Or if you feel extra adventurous and wish to adjust head AND body, you can start with a blank shape by going in your inventory, go into your "body parts" folder, right click it and choose "New => Body Part" and choose "Shape". This new shape is super basic and will not look good right away, it will need work, but if you don't mind that then I would recommend doing just that.
I promise, making a shape to your own liking will be like having a new head and body all over again, only for free.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
A little more advice

6 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have one of the very first (not Bento) heads from Lelutka.  I am happy with my look and don't see any reason to change. I have some Bento heads (free but nice ones) but have never used them. So I suggest you pay attention to what PLEASES YOU and not listen to folks that likely buy things "just" because they are new. My favorite and still much better looking that much of what is on the market today formal is from the VERY EARLY days of mesh -- so like six years or so ago.  Honestly I haven't seen anything that looks better or is more nicely made.  

Just some thoughts. 

You know, I had the same head from LOGO for a long time. When I upgraded to Quinn, it looked closest to the previous head I owned. I wonder if we get attached to our avatars and things just don't feel right if we go too crazy different. I feel like that's part of what holds me back from changing. Thank you for this perspective, I appreciate it! 

3 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

If you want to do some more customization, the very first step should be playing with your shape. Your shape determines everything, your perceived weight, your figure including your breast size, butt shape, length, etc. But it also determines what your face looks like. You can adjust pretty much anything, head shape, jaw shape, chin, nose, eyes, cheekbones, eyebrows, anything. 

So, play around with that before you fork over thousands of L$ for a new head.

As for your head being "soooooo old", eff them. If you are happy with your head, then THAT is the yardstick, whether your head is 7 days old or 7 years.

Thank you so much for this! I will play around with the shape a bit today. I know I saw some article about proportions in SL, maybe I'll try to find that again. One thing about proportions - I usually prefer to keep my avatar short as I'm only 4'11 irl and I enjoy being smaller in both worlds. It's never caused me an issue I think because my head is obviously very adult but I do wonder sometimes if people are judging how short I am 😀

I guess I get overwhelmed when I go to a store like Catwa and try on a head and it doesn't look like the picture because it's not using the applier from the pic and then I get overwhelmed wondering what all the possibilities are what that head could look like depending on the skin applied and then I just second guess everything 

20 minutes ago, Nalytha said:

Thank you so much for this! I will play around with the shape a bit today. I know I saw some article about proportions in SL, maybe I'll try to find that again. One thing about proportions - I usually prefer to keep my avatar short as I'm only 4'11 irl and I enjoy being smaller in both worlds. It's never caused me an issue I think because my head is obviously very adult but I do wonder sometimes if people are judging how short I am 😀

That's the beauty of SL, you are in control of what you look like. Whether you want your avie to be short or tall, skinny or fat, male or female... it's all in YOUR control, and nobody should tell you that what you like is wrong. (as long as it's legal under the law, of course.)

Also, even if your face were to look younger, your breast size would - or at least should - make sure that there would be no confusion about what age range your avie is supposed to be, and from what I can see it is definitely NOT an underage avie.

There are reasons for updating. The world conditions us to "Buy New" and do what feels right or good. But things work better when we are enlightened enough to know what is in our best interest and why.

Your first thoughts about upgrading might be about why? ...I just got a stimulus check worth L$312,000 and I gotta spend some of it...  sure... that works... or in other words you just want to. And that is an excellent reason. But, look at the want. Do you want to play with a new ________ (fill in)? Do you want to look better? Is there a problem that needs to be solved?

I bought my Slink Physique Original because I was annoyed by a folded rib cage whenever I would sit... My Slink body looked and worked much better. I was happy. Some of the mesh heads were gorgeous. I wanted to be gorgeous. I love doing makeup on a mesh head. Then along comes BOM... Slink promises to lower ACI and script weight. I'm getting kicked out of some regions if I don't take stuff off... no... get out of the gutter... not that. I check the new Redux demo. Wow, she cut megabytes of script out of the body and hands. Bonus, Redux uses away fewer attachment points. I updated to Redux. Way nicer. Way lower script count and ACI. I am very happy. Think of all the little electrons I am saving.

It took a bit for me to figure out BOM. I come from the pre mesh & applier days. So, I think it is easy. Those that came in in the Applier Era are having a challenge. But, BOM and lower ACI is the future. Slowly appliers will become only for advanced materials on skin (think water drops on skin).

There is something to be said for staying up on tech. It isn't the end of the virtual world of you don't.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.