Indirect Harassment? Need Feedback

Cheeky Shenanigans

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been playing SL since 2005. I'm a heavy roleplayer and enjoy the theme Medieval Fantasy. 

I recently ran into an individual that I don't even know who not only added my account name to his picks under some DO NOT RP WITH/BAN LIST but he added my alt name as well, that I know for a fact I never told him about. I do not know who this person is, or why they added me to this list, but I see it as an indirect way to harass me and the others he had added to his picks as well. I do not talk to him (Except recently when I asked him to take my name off.) I didn't get a response, and all he ended up doing was adding to his pick with a statement like. "Telling me to your name down, isn't going to make me take it down, deal with it." First off, I didn't tell him, I asked nicely. I don't like conflict, but I fear people are going to see that, and just avoid me. 

Is there anything I can do about this issue?

8 answers to this question

You mentioned something very specific that allows for you to take action:

13 hours ago, Beauty Appletor said:

I recently ran into an individual that I don't even know who not only added my account name to his picks under some DO NOT RP WITH/BAN LIST but he added my alt name as well, that I know for a fact I never told him about.

Under the "Disclosure" section of the Community Standards:

Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent—including, but not limited to, gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual orientation, alternate account names (including account statuses, such as whether it is on hold, suspended, or active), and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their user profile—is not allowed.

Unless you explicitly make it clear that an account is your alternate account name, such as by providing it in your profile, he/she is violating the Community Standards.

When I say explicitly clear, I mean by putting something like "ChaserTester is my alternate account" in your about box, picks, first life tab, Second Life profile feed, publicly accessible notecards(EG: A scripted object that distributes it when clicking it), or other intentional "for public" information places. If you have simply told this person what your alternate account is without doing any of the previously mentioned, it will still count as a disclosure violation as you did not provide consent for them to share private information.

My recommendation would be to file an Abuse Report towards the offending resident under "Disclosure" and be sure to explain that you did not publicly make the alternate account information public information and is not mentioned on your profile, and that the information is disclosed in a "Pick", as well as specifying what the Pick name is, as well as what the offending line is.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 5

Those who matter wont care what some random says about you. Those who do care what some random says about you should not matter to you. Do not let what some random who has a pet peeve against you becasue you might have ignored him or an alt of his one time or didnt rp the way he wanted ruin your sl experience.

I like Chaser's explanation of how the ToS applies. I think Chaser has it right.

Since you have seen others named in his 'stuff' contact them and ask them to jump on the AR bandwagon. You may be surprised that others have not noticed he is dissing them.

New people tend to NOT READ profiles, as best I can tell. I have experimented with different profile messages and it makes very little difference. Try a "first person to to quote this gets L$100" and see what happens. Have a friend be the first...

You are more likely annoyed by his statements than you are damaged, which may be his goal. Defeat him by ignoring him.

On 4/19/2020 at 3:13 PM, Beauty Appletor said:

I've been playing SL since 2005. I'm a heavy roleplayer and enjoy the theme Medieval Fantasy. 

I recently ran into an individual that I don't even know who not only added my account name to his picks under some DO NOT RP WITH/BAN LIST but he added my alt name as well, that I know for a fact I never told him about. I do not know who this person is, or why they added me to this list, but I see it as an indirect way to harass me and the others he had added to his picks as well. I do not talk to him (Except recently when I asked him to take my name off.) I didn't get a response, and all he ended up doing was adding to his pick with a statement like. "Telling me to your name down, isn't going to make me take it down, deal with it." First off, I didn't tell him, I asked nicely. I don't like conflict, but I fear people are going to see that, and just avoid me. 

Is there anything I can do about this issue?

With any harassing @Beauty Appletor, it is known to pass and is never pleasant at the time.  It is likely someone else’s alt that knew your alt or just a lucky guesser.

Enjoy your SecondLife, you’ve been around long enough to know there are people who are just out to harm others.

Another way to make your experience more enjoyable is to talk to the sim owners of your role playing sims.  Tell them what is happening, and if you have a good enough name, they may ban that person for you, or at least get a serious set of eyes on them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.