Random Disconnects - tracert included

Inilth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For the last year I've been having random total disconnects. Everything run fines, no lag, then I'm just dropped without warning. It happens about once an hour. Sim doesn't matter, although it tends to happen more often in highly populated ones.

I can run Red Dead Redemption 2 on high graphics with no issues, no disconnects on my PC.

I ran tracert right before a disconnect happened. Is this my ISP or Linden? 0% packet loss. Ping stays at about 110ms. The UDP data received just drops to about 0 all of a sudden.

Untitled.png

3 answers to this question

It looks like your time triples from 14 msec to 38 msec  just before the signal leaves your ISP. Unlike MMO games, which are run from software on your own machine, SL depends on keeping activity on your computer in sync with what's happening in SL servers all the time. The SL servers need to keep track of all objects and avatars within your region and communicate them continually to every person logged in to that region. If your signal is delayed, it compromises the reliability of all that information, so the SL servers drop your connection. I had a similar problem many years ago, which the ISP finally traced to a corroded cable connection in their box at the street. I suggest sharing the data from your tracert test with your ISP and asking them to do a full scan of their system from your front door to the Internet gateway.

Your TRACERT is decent. Hops 10, 12, and 13 are from routers that do not respond to icmp requests. Hop 14 shows you are making it through to the target server.

75ms is not bad. I am in SoCal and 30 to 100ms is common for me.

Try a PING from the command line. Try PING -n 50

This will send 50 pings to the target and calc the packet loss. Packet loss is likely the problem that is causing you to disconnect.

In late 2019 and January 2020 we saw some problems with lots of people disconnecting. There are a number of JIRAs on the problem. You might read through those and see if they describe what you are experiencing. Plus, they list things to try. If one of the JIRAs fits you can reopen it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.