People still use classic avatars instead of bento heads and bodies?

polygonmonster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/18/2020 at 6:11 PM, polygonmonster said:

Question, how many people roughly still use classic avatars instead of bento heads and bodies? I'm very curious about those who don't decide to spent money on this meshes.

Chiming in late (as per usual!), but here's my take: I think most female avatars have migrated to mesh bodies, but I still come across many classic, system female avatars at places like Frank's Jazz Club.

I have noticed that male avatars are more likely to stick with a classic avatar. I come across them much more often.

Personally using the classic avatar it is just simple there is no added hud or extra scripts in the body.
Would of been good if sl had a mesh editor built in the sl like the prim editor imagine that!

Have seen some individual's combining mesh hair with classic avatar etc and going for more hybrid looks think that is interesting.
Do not think i am going to go full mesh just yet it is not even at its peak maybe in the future maybe not.

• Like 1

I  switched to a mesh body a few years ago. But I kept my system head. I like the way "I" look and don't care to spend the time and money trying to replicate that. 

I honestly don't know why mesh heads are preferred. I have an alt with one and all it does really is add lag. Also my computer is very low end. So, the fact that it won't go past mid graphics means I wouldn't even get the benefits of the "perfect" AV. This one makes me happy.....

madi forum_012 pm.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/11/2020 at 5:53 AM, Madison Talon said:

I  switched to a mesh body a few years ago. But I kept my system head. I like the way "I" look and don't care to spend the time and money trying to replicate that. 

I honestly don't know why mesh heads are preferred. I have an alt with one and all it does really is add lag. Also my computer is very low end. So, the fact that it won't go past mid graphics means I wouldn't even get the benefits of the "perfect" AV. This one makes me happy.....

madi forum_012 pm.jpg

You look great!

Yeah, it was as hard decision, after having the same face for so long, to switch to a bento and/or mesh head.  The firtst one I got looked awesome, but couldn't make any expressions, even with the built-in stuff.  Just this odd stare.  Didn't really work for me.  So I upgraded to a more expensive brand-name bento, and it came with it's own AO that gives my head so many automatic expressions.  I love how I'll be setting up a camera shot, and suddenly she sticks her tongue out at me lol  I have a cell phone and talk-on-the-phone AO, as well as a singer's headphone/mic combo that I wear, so it looks cool when she starts talking -- you can clearly see her lips saying "NO!"  So for that, I love my bento head.  But I still put on my classic stuff from time to time, as it reminds me of days gone by and floods my brain with happy memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2020 at 6:22 AM, Atosuria Daviau said:

for some of us older players in SL the whole mesh body / head thing was a odd learning curve i did not really latch onto it until BoM became a thing and we has a semblance of "old SL" back. and some people might simply not be able to afford the latest in Bento Box Bake on animesh wind in your hair avatar. the bodies and heads can be rather pricey in SL terms and with people loosing there jobs due to COVID all these fancy avatars are expensive and many of new and old folks are coming to and back to secondlife for an escape. 

I don't care what you look like as long as your staying a good person in these hard times we are cool.

Yep.  I'm reading a sci-fi book about Mars, with a dude born on Mars going to Earth, and being amazed at the old-fashioned train tracks circling a mountain in the Alps, when almost everywhere else has upgraded to something else -- and the wording made me instantly think of these Classic/Mesh discussions:   "...[they] had not been convinced that the new technology was enough of an improvement to justify replacing what they already had."  (emphasis added)

So it makes sense that some of the veteran players here felt the same way about the introduction of mesh, and have maintained their classic appearances.  Some veterans switched over.  Newer players, on the other hand, never experienced classic, having been given mesh starter avis upon their first rezzing.  So of course they're into mesh.  They're not replacing anything, and don't even need to go through the decision making process that veteran players have had to make.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi guys. I bought my mesh head and I was amazed with the look it has. I thought that it's nit a big deal, but now I would never go back to classic. I was i denial for months, but now I'm happy with my choice. I know that In the beginning is Hard and it takes so much time to make it look the way you want to, but the result is stunning. So I prefer mesh, I thought I would never say such thing, wow. 

• Like 2

On 9/13/2020 at 8:35 AM, Rabid Cheetah said:

So it makes sense that some of the veteran players here felt the same way about the introduction of mesh, and have maintained their classic appearances.  Some veterans switched over.  Newer players, on the other hand, never experienced classic, having been given mesh starter avis upon their first rezzing.  So of course they're into mesh.  They're not replacing anything, and don't even need to go through the decision making process that veteran players have had to make.

That is such a good point!

----

All my accounts still use the classic avatar. I've aquired a few free mesh bodies/ heads, and maybe one day I'll set some time aside to try them out, but mostly I cannot be bothered. I'm fine with the way "I" look. Also, mesh bodies are more than small coffee money, and I REALLY resent paying more than small coffee money just for the alpha masking, which is all I need, since I'm pretty covered up. And I've pretty much stopped buying clothes. 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arquet said:

That is such a good point!

----

All my accounts still use the classic avatar. I've acquired a few free mesh bodies/ heads, and maybe one day I'll set some time aside to try them out, but mostly I cannot be bothered. I'm fine with the way "I" look. Also, mesh bodies are more than small coffee money, and I REALLY resent paying more than small coffee money just for the alpha masking, which is all I need, since I'm pretty covered up. And I've pretty much stopped buying clothes. 😄

*RUFF!* I!  N!  G!  O!  *RUFF!* I!  N!  G!  O!  *RUFF!* I!  N!  G!  O!  And Bingo was his name, O! lol

dog3-550x366.png

On 9/8/2020 at 4:02 AM, Conifer Dada said:

As I said in an earlier post, my avatar is still 'system'. I put together a montage from a recent photoshoot. The pictures are mildly processed. The jeans, the black leggings and the blue and purple leotard are also 'system', whereas the tops, shorts, shoes and hairstyles are mesh. The leotard dates back a long, long way !

System Avatar Montage.jpg

And these evening sunlight images are from our OpenSim standalone island . . .

System Avatar Montage.jpg

That face is hella more realistic and attractive than the mesh Barbie dolls run amok.

And about the leggings -- You're spot on.  Why get rid of a favorite pair of pants?  It's just like real life:  Your favorite outfit becomes a part of you, who you are.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The system avatar works OK for a slim, average female shape like mine. If I ever decide to put on a lot of weight or morph into a mega-muscular male, then I'd probably go mesh because system avatars don't so cope well with supersizing!

Edited by Conifer Dada

On 9/13/2020 at 2:17 PM, Rabid Cheetah said:

But I still put on my classic stuff from time to time, as it reminds me of days gone by and floods my brain with happy memories.

I kept my full classic AV and take her out every now and then because I can be such a sentimental cheesecake. I am a huge advocate of mesh-everything, but I also miss the days and experiences that I lived through in pre-mesh and bento SL. Stripping yourself of mesh attachments also offer more practicality when driving long distances because on more than one incident when I crashed while crossing regions all my mesh bits flew off my car and I swear it is not something you would wish to happen even to your worst enemy ...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.