I have a Windows7..64 bit and a netgear router.....

Del Harrop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I posted re the problem I`m having ie I can log into SL but cannot stay longer than 1.5 mins and someone advised that its the Router that is causing the problem..I have just come off a long phonecall with my ISP who has provided the router.

They cant help me unless I can provide the settings that SL uses...having these they can then alter the router settings

Where on earth do I get these from...putting a ticket into SL is not very helpful as they are selective it seems to me on  which problem they will help with

I feel as though I`m hitting my head on a brick wall...can anyone help please

11 answers to this question

If it is a Netgear DGN 1000 then it can`t be configured to work with SL or at least no one (including Netgear techs) has ever managed to do it before.

The info they want is https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_do_I_configure_my_hardware_firewall_%28such_as_a_router%29%3F

If they manage to get you into SL on that router then PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE come back and post how they did it. They should probably just save some time and replace your router now but great if they want to try.

EDIT: I believe the Netgear Wireless N 130 Router WNR 1000v3 has the same problem, but that could just be a revamped version of the DGN 1000.

wow..i kinda feel a lil better it isnt just me...my providers keep telling me its my computer...which i knew it wasn't. SL should make it clear in the requirements this router is just useless for the game...Can any one recommend a router that will be better? 

So thats it everyone just gives up and calls it a day? Alot of us paid good money to these people and we get faulty hardware, I've seen 1000s of complants regarding Netgear not working with SL to me thats a major problem and there team should be trying to iron it out ASAP. I heard it may be problems with the firmware, downgrades on some of there products may help but not so sure on the DGN1000's...honestly I just got this router today and am pissed off to find out I can't get on SL and now theres no solution at all to the problem on both ends?

@ Jacen, I have recently seen a suggestion that may fix the DGN 1000, though I haven`t had time to test it myself yet, you can give it a try & see if it helps....Log on to your router, go to the ADSL settings on the left hand menu & change Multiplexing Method from VC based to LLC based.

A Netgear wireless N150 ADSL router DGN1000 (as supplied by e.g. Orange in the UK) can be used to connect to Second Life if you change the multiplexing method in ADSL Settings under Setup in the router from VC-Based to LLC-Based.

I tore my hair out for hours thinking it was a viewer or graphics card problem as I had just changed from Phoenix to the new official Firestorm release and was crashing all the time and being disconnected within a short period of logging on, before I realised that the problem was the router - which I had changed at about the same time - since I still had the same problem on going back to Phoenix or, indeed for that matter, trying to use an old portable version of Viewer 1.23!

I then started googling and found the answer which, as far as I can tell, has solved the problem completely with no discernible negative side-effects.

Update 030312:  Since writing the above some time ago, I can confirm that this fix is continuing to work as stated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.