Studio Exposure Hairbase lines

Flea Habilis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been looking for a solution to Studio Exposure's FNTY hairbases. They're SOO my style and gorgeous, but when I wear them, they create these ... ugly... lines. Photo Below.

https://gyazo.com/61f9d841a30a7de713112f1344740630

Edit: Using Catwa Catya Mesh Head.

This is the product in question: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SE-CATWA-MICHELE-FNTY-HAIRBASE-DARK-COLORS/14788697

I am looking for:

1. a solution to fix it that doesn't involve "buy a new one."

2. An understanding of why this happens so if I make my own hairbases this does not happen.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Flea Habilis

I had not worked with BOM much until yesterday.

I had updated MY CATWA head to BOM and my Maitreya Body to BOM.

Yesterday, when working with the new CATWA hud, I just turned off the Hairbase and my Dela hair never fit nor looked as nice as it does in BOM!!!! 

I was so pleased with how the new BOM looks at the hairline now!  It's a world of difference and such an improvement.  The way the hair fits on the head now is just gorgeous (and these are styles with no bangs)!

So, my first question is:  Did you upgrade to BOM?  And if so, why do you feel you need a hairbase?

Full disclosure:  I have only tried my Dela hair as I just started working with BOM yesterday.  What hair are you trying to fit with a hairbase?  I am asking because as you and I and most people on SL know, ALL hairs could fit differently  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Did you upgrade to BOM?  And if so, why do you feel you need a hairbase?

My goodness yes! I have upgraded to BOM! However, my issue is that this is an applier. And the reason I want to use the hairbase is so that it can be used with a hair-bun attachment. I like the look and style of the hairbase and I intend to use it as the hair itself. Its easier to show than tell... the photo below is my intended use.

https://gyazo.com/f665d7bac0480e20b4b7b0faec6bab2d

The hairbase is 90% of the style, here. 

Catwa CSR here :)

This problem can sometimes occur when you're applying the hairbase to the lower layer of your head (and most appliers will automatically default to the lower layer when applied from their own HUDs). All Catwa Bento heads have two layers: an upper and a lower. To apply to the upper layer instead:

1. With the hairbase applied to your head directly from its HUD, open your Catwa Master HUD v4.5 and navigate to the Hairbase tab
  2. Click one of the small black 'save' buttons under one of the existing hairbases. Ensure that the 'lower' button at the top of that section is checked/ticked before saving
  3. Do the same thing in the Blush tab, again ensuring that the 'lower' button at the top of that section is checked/ticked before saving
  4. For both of these, you might see an icon appear in the box above the 'save' icons, or you might not. Just remember which one you used
  5. Now click the 'clear' button on both the Hairbase and the Blush tabs, to make yourself bald
  6. Go back into the Hairbase tab, and this time ensure that the 'upper' button is checked/ticked at the top of that section. This time, click the box above the 'save' icon that you used, which will apply the hairbase directly from the Catwa Master HUD onto the upper layer of the head
  7. Go into the Blush tab and do the same thing - check/tick 'upper' and apply directly from the box above the 'save' icon you previously used
  8. FInally - in both those sections, and still with 'upper' checked - ensure that the blend sliders are all the way across to the left

The above looks very long-winded and detailed I know, but I've broken it down into very basic steps since I don't know how knowledgeable you are regarding the workings of Catwa Bento heads and their HUDs, so I apologise in advance if it was too simple!

Let me know if you need any more help, and I can create an on-the-fly video to walk you through it :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flea Habilis said:

My goodness yes! I have upgraded to BOM! However, my issue is that this is an applier. And the reason I want to use the hairbase is so that it can be used with a hair-bun attachment. I like the look and style of the hairbase and I intend to use it as the hair itself. Its easier to show than tell... the photo below is my intended use.

https://gyazo.com/f665d7bac0480e20b4b7b0faec6bab2d

The hairbase is 90% of the style, here. 

Oh, I see you want to put a bun.  Yeah, that's a cute look!  Best of luck too!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Let me know if you need any more help

I have tried both upper layer and lower layer. I have tried putting in on both and messing with blending options to see if I could fix it... what you see in the picture is the result of it being on either layer AND both. But thank you so much for replying! This was a fabulous answer! very instructive and detailed!

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh, I see you want to put a bun.  Yeah, that's a cute look!  Best of luck too!  

Thank you so much~!

Edited by Flea Habilis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flea Habilis said:

I have tried both upper layer and lower layer. I have tried putting in on both and messing with blending options to see if I could fix it... what you see in the picture is the result of it being on either layer AND both.

I'm sorry to hear that. Usually using the upper layer fixes this issue, but there's one other thing that can cause it: the creator not going over the edges of the hairbase template to ensure full coverage. I note that you have an 'original' last name, so you can probably recall some old item of system clothing from way back, when the creator only went up to the very edge of the template lines and thus caused a thin white line where - for example - the shoulder section of the arm template meets with the shoulder section of the torso template. The same thing can happen when a creator only goes up to the lines when creating a hairbase applier.

I've spoken to Catwa about this myself in the past and she has shown me images to explain how this happens. Since you mentioned in your first post of this thread that you would like "an understanding of why this happens so if I make my own hairbases this does not happen" then that is what I will definitely suggest if you create your own hairbases: always go over the template lines that are shown in the dev kit PSDs. If you open up the dev kit files (the kit is included in your head's folder, with links to download the PSDs) you will note that it's split into three sections: face-front, head left, and head right. The hairbase covers all three sections, and the 'seams' that you're seeing will always fall where those three areas join.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Usually using the upper layer fixes this issue, but there's one other thing that can cause it: the creator not going over the edges of the hairbase template to ensure full coverage. I note that you have an 'original' last name, so you can probably recall some old item of system clothing from way back, when the creator only went up to the very edge of the template lines and thus caused a thin white line where - for example - the shoulder section of the arm template meets with the shoulder section of the torso template. The same thing can happen when a creator only goes up to the lines when creating a hairbase applier.

I've spoken to Catwa about this myself in the past and she has shown me images to explain how this happens. Since you mentioned in your first post of this thread that you would like "an understanding of why this happens so if I make my own hairbases this does not happen" then that is what I will definitely suggest if you create your own hairbases: always go over the template lines that are shown in the dev kit PSDs. If you open up the dev kit files (the kit is included in your head's folder, with links to download the PSDs) you will note that it's split into three sections: face-front, head left, and head right. The hairbase covers all three sections, and the 'seams' that you're seeing will always fall where those three areas join.

That is so tragic! I will see if I can get the creator to fix that, but that would make a lot of sense. Goodness.

Thank you so much for helping me understand. It would fit the evidence.

It's not 100% always the reason, but it's worth checking since it's the other main reason why this happens. Additionally, if the creator offers system tattoo options for the hairbase then you could go fully-BoM and use those. They are lovely hairbases, I agree!

ETA: An example of why this might occur is if the hairbase was originally texture-modelled on another brand of head (for example Genus or Lelutka) and 'tweaked' to fit onto the Catwa template. Or if a 'middle ground' has been achieved where the same texture will work on multiple brands of head. I doubt that's the case here, as any creator worth their salt would check their work on all heads that they're advertising it to work on, but it's one other reason why these lines can happen.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

Stupid question. but: How about a black or dark grey BoM layer hairbase under the applier? Will it help? It does not hurt to try. I have loads of layer hairbases from before mesh, and I think it is easy to get them now too. I know No Match has them as group gifts. The group maybe has a small group fee. I am sure it is some free on the MP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Stupid question. but: How about a black or dark grey BoM layer hairbase under the applier? Will it help? It does not hurt to try. I have loads of layer hairbases from before mesh, and I think it is easy to get them now too. I know No Match has them as group gifts. The group maybe has a small group fee. I am sure it is some free on the MP.

I dont think that'd work because there is a part of the hairbase that is supposed to show the scalp of the skin beneath it. Im gonna try making my own custom patch up for this hair based on this idea tho! Thank you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flea Habilis said:

That is so tragic! I will see if I can get the creator to fix that, but that would make a lot of sense. Goodness.

I sent the creator of Studio Exposure a NC about that issue forever ago and she never responded.  I hope you have more luck!!!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.