Finding someone's previous username

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honesty, I'd like that feature to know someone's previous name for social reasons. People could change out their name and then wear a different avatar without any ill intention but friends and associates may feel some anxiety when a stranger suddenly walks in. I thought the plan was to have a list of your prior names in your profile or something. 

Also, if someone changed their name and you call them their old name... is that deadnaming? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The names on calling cards do not change from the original, or at least did not on the one I have from a friend who changed his name. 

None of the friends for whom I have calling cards have (yet) changed their names. Thank you for checking on this, Sylvia.  

• Like 1

What I noticed about calling cards, having changed my name, and also having a friend that changed their name:

- In the "Calling Cards" folder, the calling card for my friend displays with their old name (Including the "Resident" last name part) and my own calling card displays with my new name.

- In the "Calling Cards -> Friends -> All" folder, the calling card for my friend displays with their new name.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moira Timmerman said:

What I noticed about calling cards, having changed my name, and also having a friend that changed their name:

- In the "Calling Cards" folder, the calling card for my friend displays with their old name (Including the "Resident" last name part) and my own calling card displays with my new name.

- In the "Calling Cards -> Friends -> All" folder, the calling card for my friend displays with their new name.

I just checked that for my friend, and the plot thickens. I have two calling cards for him in the Calling Cards - Friends - All folder, one with his old name and one with the new one! 😂

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I just checked that for my friend, and the plot thickens. I have two calling cards for him in the Calling Cards - Friends - All folder, one with his old name and one with the new one! 😂

That is definitely odd!  I do remember when it used to be common to have multiple copies of someone's calling card in that folder, but it does seem like the change should have been made to both in the case of multiples in the same folder.  Another mystery :)

On 4/21/2020 at 9:44 PM, Mollymews said:

our friend can remember the username of the shopkeeper. We search for this and get a blank.  We then run the username our friend remembers thru: shopkeeper = llRequestUsername(llRequestUserKey(old name)) and voila, we have the new name of the shopkeeper. Look then up in Search, there they are, and off we go to their shop

if there aren't already (I haven't looked) I think there is going to be a plethora of scripted devices on MP that can do this for those who can't script this up for themselves

I put the script in a prim and nothing but  syntaxerror -- what more do I need to do?

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Cam Mode said:

I put the script in a prim and nothing but  syntaxerror -- what more do I need to do?

sorry, the line I posted was p-code intended to show program flow

the basic LSL code (modded from the LSL wiki) to do this, is something like:

key name_key_query;

{
   state_entry()
   {
      name_key_query = llRequestUserKey("rider.linden");  // change name to whichever
   }

dataserver(key queryid, string data)
   {
       if (name_key_query == queryid)
       {
           llRequestUsername((key)data);
       }
       else
       {   // 'data' is the now name of rider.linden
           llOwnerSay("is now known as " + data); 
       }
   }
}

Edited by Mollymews
tyeo in code
  • Sad 1

Looks like a race to find a new class of Griefer Tools

18 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Honesty, I'd like that feature to know someone's previous name for social reasons.

If they know you, they would tell you. to me this is trying to defeat one of the many valid reasons people would change a name=Stalkers .. many people left SL over them, they might come back at a chance for a restart without starting completely over again.

Like Oz pointed out in another thread regarding name changes.. it's nobody's business unless they want you to know.

Edited by Sassy Kenin
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Like Oz pointed out in another thread regarding name changes.. it's nobody's business unless they want you to know.

this is true to a point. But when Linden give residents tools like GetUserKey and GetUsername then to me it is better that everybody can know how the provided tools work

how Linden-provided scripted tools work should not be a secret known only to those residents who know how to write scripts

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Looks like a race to find a new class of Griefer Tools

If they know you, they would tell you. to me this is trying to defeat one of the many valid reasons people would change a name=Stalkers .. many people left SL over them, they might come back at a chance for a restart without starting completely over again.

To be fair, a good stalker will use the getkey/getname functions to look you up anyway.

• Sad 1

A backward search is not possible and not needed. It's none of your business.

Someone comes to make trouble with an expensive name changed avatar instead of a cheap alt? laughable.

You fear stalkers - and a changed name - which you can check up - is a bigger problem than an alt - which you can't check up? laughable.

Someone never made trouble you just didn't like their shoes and banned them and now they can come back and you can't check them up because you don't remember their name? That's a serious threat - indeed - I laughed while thinking on that.

😄🤪😎

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, happycaroline said:

I was wondering if the notes we place in a person's profile remain there after they change their username. Might this be the key to figuring out who they were?

They **should**, though someone had commented somewhere that their old notes weren't there anymore. It might have also just have been a time lag on updating.  Or part of a bug - LL has fixed one or two since the Name Change function came out.

• Like 1

I’m not trying to help any stalkers but a name change essentially turns a person into a stranger with all the possible danger it implies. You may think, “Oh, I’ll just tell my friends every single time," but there may be people who are outside of your close circle, maybe people you’ve lost touch with, returning friends, or acquaintances. In my case, I may have forgotten what someone said a month prior. Not knowing who a person was before leads to awkward and maybe embarrassing conversations with someone who may be your friend or an actual complete stranger. The introverts of SL are going to love that.

How many people are changing their names to stop a stalker? It seems that situation would be very small compared to everyone just trying to figure out who their friends are. In the end, who needs this protection from knowing their former identity? Maybe that guy in witness protection but everything else seems a little unnecessary.  Getname and Getkey have already blown secret identities out of the water. A stalker could easily have friended their victim with an alt and gotten informed of the name change. I think old names should just be readily available. 

• Confused 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.