Phantom inventory items? (inventory missing?)

Zenna Rivera

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So one of these days I realized that the number of items on the inventory wasn't matching with the total count, even after adding the library. Since nothing "important" a.k.a that I remember existing seemed to be missing I just left it for when I had the patience to clear the inventory cache. I am using firestorm latest version. I have around 40k items (plus library) and it was showing around 44k items total.

So I decided to do this today. I cleared the inventory cache, I manually cleared the inventory cache, and nothing seemed to change. So I logged onto SL viewer and two things happened. 15 new items were added to the count on the inventory folder and the total amount was now matching (it went down to about 39k). So are the items missing or are they not missing? I am confusion 😆. Firestorm keeps showing this extra 4k items, even after a cache clear. I have only encountered an "item not found in directory" once, for a tattoo that I never worn before. I have entirely too many stuff and nothing I use regurlaly seems to be missing, so I'm honestly just wondering why firestorm is showing these extra items, or if they're actually missing. I have followed firestorm's wiki on missing inventory, all items.

7 answers to this question

I remember being confused about the numbers once and ended up doing some research to figure it out.  See if this helps - this is for Firestorm; the SL viewer shows things slightly different.

Top line, up in the title bar area, reports total number of elements (all items and folders combined) 
    It includes all "Inventory" items, all "Library" items, and the actual "Inventory" folder and "Library" folder
  All folders show the number of items and number of folders (items/folders) WITHIN the folder, but not counting that folder itself

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I remember being confused about the numbers once and ended up doing some research to figure it out.  See if this helps - this is for Firestorm; the SL viewer shows things slightly different.

Top line, up in the title bar area, reports total number of elements (all items and folders combined) 
    It includes all "Inventory" items, all "Library" items, and the actual "Inventory" folder and "Library" folder
  All folders show the number of items and number of folders (items/folders) WITHIN the folder, but not counting that folder itself

hey, yes I'm aware of what the numbers indicate. It's the total count and the number of items on the big inventory + library folder that aren't matching. which usually indicates there are items missing, but only firestorm is showing this discrepancy, the sl viewer shows a total count that matches the inventory +library folders' count.

unless what you're saying is that items and folders are counted separately? as in I need to add the number of items plus the number of folders?

Edited by Zenna Rivera
adding something
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zenna Rivera said:

hey, yes I'm aware of what the numbers indicate. It's the total count and the number of items on the big inventory + library folder that aren't matching. which usually indicates there are items missing, but only firestorm is showing this discrepancy, the sl viewer shows a total count that matches the inventory +library folders' count.

Odd.  Accounting for the differences in how the two viewers show the counts, last I checked, mine were showing correctly.  That is based on the latest Firestorm viewer, but not the latest SL Viewer as I did the checks a few months ago.  Might be time to recheck my counts between the two viewers.

I installed the latest SL Viewer and then check both.  My counts still match between the 2 viewers.  

If you really wanted to get to the bottom of the discrepancy, you could probably figure it out, though it would take a lot of logging in back and forth between the two viewers.  Log in to one viewer and note how many "Items" in each folder at the top level of your inventory.  Then log into the other viewer and do the same.  Hopefully, only one of the top-level folders will show a difference.  You could then drill down inside of that folder, using the same technique, repeating until you find the innermost folder with more items in one viewer.  If there is more than one folder at the top level, that sure complicates things, but you could still figure it out.  The entire process will get super tedious though if you have to dig into a folder than contains hundreds or thousands of sub-folders.

One question -- When you said you did the stuff from the Firestorm Fix Missing Inventory page, did you actually copy the 'inv.gz' file itself from one to the other?  And if so, which direction did you copy?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I installed the latest SL Viewer and then check both.  My counts still match between the 2 viewers.  

If you really wanted to get to the bottom of the discrepancy, you could probably figure it out, though it would take a lot of logging in back and forth between the two viewers.  Log in to one viewer and note how many "Items" in each folder at the top level of your inventory.  Then log into the other viewer and do the same.  Hopefully, only one of the top-level folders will show a difference.  You could then drill down inside of that folder, using the same technique, repeating until you find the innermost folder with more items in one viewer.  If there is more than one folder at the top level, that sure complicates things, but you could still figure it out.  The entire process will get super tedious though if you have to dig into a folder than contains hundreds or thousands of sub-folders.

One question -- When you said you did the stuff from the Firestorm Fix Missing Inventory page, did you actually copy the 'inv.gz' file itself from one to the other?  And if so, which direction did you copy?

you know what's funny? after I sent the message about the folder + items I went back into my inventory in firestorm and I counted both the items and the folders on all the main folders and guess what? the total count matches that number perfectly. I don't know if I have some setting on firestorm enabled that's making it count the folders and the items separately, but if this is a coincidence it's one hell of a coincidence...

edit: yes I did copy the inventory files, from SL viewer into firestorm, that's when the item count matched on both, but not the total count.

Edited by Zenna Rivera
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 11:24 PM, Zenna Rivera said:

So one of these days I realized that the number of items on the inventory wasn't matching with the total count, even after adding the library. Since nothing "important" a.k.a that I remember existing seemed to be missing I just left it for when I had the patience to clear the inventory cache. I am using firestorm latest version. I have around 40k items (plus library) and it was showing around 44k items total.

So I decided to do this today. I cleared the inventory cache, I manually cleared the inventory cache, and nothing seemed to change. So I logged onto SL viewer and two things happened. 15 new items were added to the count on the inventory folder and the total amount was now matching (it went down to about 39k). So are the items missing or are they not missing? I am confusion 😆. Firestorm keeps showing this extra 4k items, even after a cache clear. I have only encountered an "item not found in directory" once, for a tattoo that I never worn before. I have entirely too many stuff and nothing I use regurlaly seems to be missing, so I'm honestly just wondering why firestorm is showing these extra items, or if they're actually missing. I have followed firestorm's wiki on missing inventory, all items.

Firestorm counts your FOLDERS as well as objects, the official viewer doesn't. So your inventory count will always be higher in Firestorm. Nothing is missing, it's just counting them differently.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Firestorm counts your FOLDERS as well as objects, the official viewer doesn't. So your inventory count will always be higher in Firestorm. Nothing is missing, it's just counting them differently.

thank you for the clarification!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.