Avyakta

I want to add an image to my floor (like a big rug)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have figured out how to import an image, which I would like to make into a huge rug for my new home, but once imported (under Texture) I don't know how to find it again, and don't know how to make it into the "rug" or surface texture for my living room.  Is there anything that could walk me through the steps required?  Alternatively is there anyone who can help me with this?  I'm guessing it's not very difficult, but I am a novice and need some direction.  Thanks so much.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Avyakta said:

I have figured out how to import an image, which I would like to make into a huge rug for my new home, but once imported (under Texture) I don't know how to find it again, and don't know how to make it into the "rug" or surface texture for my living room.  Is there anything that could walk me through the steps required?  Alternatively is there anyone who can help me with this?  I'm guessing it's not very difficult, but I am a novice and need some direction.  Thanks so much.

You need to add the texture to a flattened PRIM, not directly on the floor.   

I made a series on prim building five years ago it seems (how time flys) which will likely be helpful.  I suggest starting with CRATES.  The series goes all the way to making prim houses.     The videos are listed "backwards" like a blog.   

You can find them here: https://www.slartist.com/browse-the-tutorial-chic-videos-2-date.html

image.thumb.png.f7ac43ec150b40c718d6784fcf720122.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Do you know of anyone who would be able to help me with this task Chic Aeon?  I am excited to watch your video series, but my immediate need for the rug (to conduct a meeting in which the floor plays a major role) makes me realize that I may need assistance for this particular item from someone more familiar with SL object building than myself.  I am not sure how money works in Second Life, but realize that this will entail an associated cost.  Anyway, any assistance or suggestions for where to look for help would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached below the image that I'm wanting to place on my floor, in as large a "rug" as I can get it at.  I've also added an image of the floor surface so you can see what I'm working with.  It's important that the image stay unstretched also FYI.  

IMG_4093.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 10.48.06 AM.jpeg

First and foremost: Your picture shows that you have taken an old Lindenhome, this is not one of the new ones in Bellisseria. Are you sure you want to keep it? The new ones are much nicer and not outdated like this one. If you would like to change it, just ask for advice if you don't know how. 

Now...... your picture. You said you imported it to SL. Did you import exactly the one you show here?
You must know that, putting this picture on a "prim" (short form for primitive, the oldest and most common unit for building in SL), which should be done for making a simple rug, will show it exactly like it is. With the blue lines. There is no way to edit the picture in SL for e.g. clearing the paper around the outlines or so. 
I suspect, you want the rug just to be the outlines on a transparent surface?

In case I am right, you'd have to edit the picture in any app on your computer and make it a .png with transparency, before importing it. 
In case I am wrong (and you meanwhile have found the pic in your inventory, in the "textures" folder), just open the building window, which is the same you have used to upload the picture from your hard drive, say "build" and click at your floor. A wooden Cube will appear. (the so called prim).
Rightclick it and say "edit".........and play around with the "stretch" function, until you have flattened it (by putting the upper blue mark down to the ground, the blue mark is showing the Z axis). Then widen the prim by moving the red and green marks. As soon as your prim is flat and fills the area the rug shall cover, click "texture" in the edit menue, chose the little window showing the wood texture of the prim. Another window will pop up, showing your inventory. Open the textures folder, chose your picture, say "okay" and the prim will lose the wooden surface and show your picture as a surface.

Sorry, English isn't my native tounge, my explanation may be a bit clumsy. 
Good luck!

Thank you SO much Anidusa Carolina.  As it turns out, the blue grid lines do not matter for my current purposes.  I will do as you say, and I think I should have what I need.  I picked this particular home because I want a big square space.  That's all I really need right now.  So I'm good on the limited design.  I may come back and reconsider at a future point.

One other question, since you seem to be quite knowledgable.  I am wondering if it is possible to import SketchUp models into SL.  I'm an architect and have a number of models I'd love to play with in SL, but they are quite detailed, so the SketchUp import is what would make this feasible.

Thanks again for your help!  Exactly what I needed.  

• Like 1

oh and PS.:
When I understand you right, you took especially this home to have lots of workspace. Right?
Taking a new Lindenhome would help with that too. Because......even if the new houses do not give so much space, you could hang a so called "Building Platform" up in the sky. (allowed above the altitude of 2000m to keep the below space free for flying vehicles). And this platform could be as xy big as your plot. Which is much more space you now have in the house you own. Moreover, there are platforms on Marketplace which give you sort of a "building grid" help...... let me show you one to better explain what I am talking about:

This is only 10x10m but they are available way bigger.....just wanted to give an example, sometimes a pic says more than 100 words :)

6090cd837f3acac3c1ac6e788aaeba6f.png

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Avyakta said:

Thank you SO much Anidusa Carolina.  As it turns out, the blue grid lines do not matter for my current purposes.  I will do as you say, and I think I should have what I need.  I picked this particular home because I want a big square space.  That's all I really need right now.  So I'm good on the limited design.  I may come back and reconsider at a future point.

One other question, since you seem to be quite knowledgable.  I am wondering if it is possible to import SketchUp models into SL.  I'm an architect and have a number of models I'd love to play with in SL, but they are quite detailed, so the SketchUp import is what would make this feasible.

Thanks again for your help!  Exactly what I needed.  

Just so you know there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why you would need a 3D mesh model for your rug. A prim would be just fine.  Really most of what you need to know is in my very beginning videos.   So personally I suggest you forget all about Sketchup or Blender or any other modeling software.

Likely the best thing you might do is take a very beginner inworld course in building (pretty much what my beginning prim building videos are). I believe you can do that at Builders Brewery, Caledon, Helping Haven, New Citizens Incorporated and some other newbie friendly schools if you don't want to watch the videos. 

And so you know if you want to get someone's attention you need to "tag" them with an at sign in front of their name as in @chic aeon. As you start typing you will see  a list of popular matches, then you pick from that list and it looks like this :   @Chic Aeon

THEN the person is notified that you mentioned them.  I just came back to this thread by chance.

Good luck.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Hello @Avyakta, what Chic Aeon said. 
For people who just start with SL and start using it as a big sandbox, first and foremost the basics are prims, and not 3D models. And believe her, cause she is a very talented builder with a well known shop in SL. 

You mentioned to be an architect. So that makes us understand your big interest in 3D.
But you might agree that......first and foremost everyone should be able to handle the basics of whatever...........before starting to depelop higher skills. 
Maybe the best way is to keep in mind that exporting SketchUp props to SL is possible, but for the moment just concentrate on getting the basics. 
Have fun!

Edit: Just had the idea to give you the landmark to a very impressive build in SL, totally made of primitives. No meshes at all. I am talking about a ship, so big that three regions are needed to display it: The famous SS Galaxy.
Make a trip there and visit it, just to get a hint about what is possible with the prim basics in SL! 
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Galaxy MID/111/57/53

Edited by Anidusa Carolina
  • Like 1

I'm sure Chic's videos are great, but in case you prefer a written tutorial on working with prims, I think this one is excellent:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/elan/tutorials/content/SL_build_tutorial.pdf

It's a step by step with plenty of pictures and it starts from the absolute beginning.

Have fun... :-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Right click the floor, select build or create, depending on your viewer.  Select the cube, if it's not already highlighted.  Left click on the floor.  You'll get a wooden cube.  Right click it, and select edit, then click on the circle/selector (technically called a radio button) to the left of Stretch.  You'll notice some colored notches on the sides of the wooden cube.  Left click and hold any notch you like, and move your mouse around a bit.  See how the cube gets bigger or smaller?  Play around with various notches, to get comfortable using this tool, and to get the cube to a nice flat pancake of a rug.  If you mess it up and want to start over again, just right click the cube and select take,then start over.

Congratulations:  You now have a basic blank canvas for any time you want to make a rug or a sign.  You did it!  Right click it and select Take Copy.  In the future, you can just slap this thing down and play around with stretching it.  I'd suggest right clicking it, going to edit, and then in the general tab type "general rug" or something like that, otherwise when you look for it later in your inventory it will just say "object" -- and you might have a gazillion things called object.

Next, right click it again, select move, and right click and hold the mouse button on one of the arrow to move the rug around a bit.  You can fine tune it by going to the second tab, I think it's called Object (not in SL at the moment, just doing this from memory), and clicking on or click and holding the arrows for the x,y,and z coordinates.  The rug will move very slowly, so you can get a precise fit.  One thing I'd suggest doing is holding the z axis arrow down, watch the rug disappear under the floor, then click the up arrow for the z access just one click at a time until the rug suddenly reappears.  This will place the rug right on the floor.

Finally, add the texture.  To do so, right click the object and click edit to get in the edit menu if you're not already there, select the texture tab, then click the box that looks like a piece of wood.  You'll then have the option to search for your texture.  Try different combinations of things, scroll through your photos and textures, if for some reason you can't find the texture -- and if all else fails, upload the texture again but make sure to name it "the darn rug texture!!!!111" or something like that lol.  Once you've found the texture, click on it, then OK.  Viola, you've made the specific rug you want.  Right click/edit it again, go to general, name it "My Star Rug" or something like that.  Then click the second tab (Object?) and check off Locked.  This will make sure that you can't accidentally remove it.  Then right click it and select take copy, so that you'll have a copy in your inventory.

Good luck, and happy building!  Play around with the build tool, that's the best way to learn.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.