You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello? Hello!

I saw scouting out the threads here and noticed one that was about the same thing I'm posting about, The OP of it had a very negative outlook on SL and decided to leave.

What is second life to you, what has been your experince here?

Hopefully this thread will become popular and referenced to later for those who need a pick me up! 

"And if not?" You may be asking, If not.. Well, that's okay too! ^^ I always try to think positively about the world in general and try to see the good in everything even on my darkest days when my brain screams at me.

Here has been my experience here.

I came to SL on my very first account back in 2005, Then some things happened in my (at the time) teenage life and I had to leave,  but I came back and spent time here and on IMVU,   I came back because I missed what SL gave me that IMVU did not.

I missed the freedom I had, I missed the places I loved being in, and being able to roleplay with people who knew it was more than cybering.

Again, I had left when Mesh first started coming out,  and just recently I had returned.

Second Life, meant I wasn't alone.  It gave me people to be social with since in RL I'm an agoraphobic.  Leaving the house is scary to me, even with the medication I'm on it's still hard for me to get out of the house, even with my service dog.

Overall? My take on it, Second life has been a saving grace to me.  It helps me from feeling like I'm missing out on the world, it lets me feel like I'm apart of it, Allows me to indulge in experinces I can't in my everyday life and of course.. Be able to modify my body to how I hope to one day look Rl.  (Mainly about 30lbs lighter than I am and with long hair. Lol, Yes I do work out in my home.)

Edited by Anuqe
Edited. Just Edited.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Anuqe said:

Hello? Hello!

I saw scouting out the threads here and noticed one that was about the same thing I'm posting about, The OP of it was a very negative and narcissistic (from my view point) person.

[...]

Could I suggest you amend your introductory paragraph to something a little less, if I may say, negative?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Anuqe said:

Hello? Hello!

I saw scouting out the threads here and noticed one that was about the same thing I'm posting about, The OP of it was a very negative and narcissistic (from my view point) person.  

What is second life to you, what has been your experince here?

Hopefully this thread will become popular and referenced to later for those who need a pick me up! 

"And if not?" You may be asking, If not.. Well, that's okay too! ^^ I always try to think positively about the world in general and try to see the good in everything even on my darkest days when my brain screams at me.

Here has been my experience here.

I came to SL on my very first account back in 2005, Then some things happened in my (at the time) teenage life and I had to leave,  but I came back and spent time here and on IMVU,   I came back because I missed what SL gave me that IMVU did not.

I missed the freedom I had, I missed the places I loved being in, and being able to roleplay with people who knew it was more than cybering.

Again, I had left when Mesh first started coming out,  and just recently I had returned.

Second Life, meant I wasn't alone.  It gave me people to be social with since in RL I'm an agoraphobic.  Leaving the house is scary to me, even with the medication I'm on it's still hard for me to get out of the house, even with my service dog.

Overall? My take on it, Second life has been a saving grace to me.  It helps me from feeling like I'm missing out on the world, it lets me feel like I'm apart of it, Allows me to indulge in experinces I can't in my everyday life and of course.. Be able to modify my body to how I hope to one day look Rl.  (Mainly about 30lbs lighter than I am and with long hair. Lol, Yes I do work out in my home.)

Hello, hello :) 

I don't think I am the average Second Life user/resident.  

I joined Second Life in November 2007 when I was 43 years old. I had never before played any online games, had no interest in World of Warcraft or even Nintendo/similar games (not since Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega in early 1990s at any rate). There was just something about Second Life that hooked me.

My initial reason for creating an avatar for Second Life was to try and encourage my brother to have an interest in using his computer again about four years after he had a life changing stroke.  He lost all interest in everything that he had been involved with prior to the stroke, and I tried all kinds of ways to rehabilitate him, physically and mentally.  

I found I could be less tired and irritable with my brother if I had something other than his real life to focus on, but because he was so disabled, I was unable to leave him in his house on his own, so I would escape to the back bedroom/computer room, where I could pretend to be this skinny ginger girl avatar, living in a pretty and healthy world in between mundane tasks such as cooking and cleaning and generally caring for my brother. 

It perhaps saved my life. It maybe saved my brother's life (by preventing me from having the urge to stick a plastic bag over his head - when you care for someone 24/7, as much as you love someone, things can become very tense). 

I have obsessive compulsive tendencies which has certainly coloured the way I have lived my Second Life. I have always enjoyed exploring, and used to be a bot hunter. I wrote a column for a weekly Second Life publication called The Avastar that was part of a real life German newspaper (Bild - a bit like UK's News of the World I guess), that paid me enough money to rent some land in world, and that was a very nice lucrative period of my life. Following that I had a bit of an obsession with trying to pretty up the mainland. I would buy up peculiar misshapen parcels of land, do deals with other land owners, and make tidier parcels that I sold at a profit. That was a nice lucrative period of my life also. 

The one thing I have never been obsessed about - because I am not so in real life either - is my avatar. I probably look like hell! Certainly compared to the beautiful mesh avatars I see on certain threads on these forums. In real life I like to be clean and relatively tidy, but tend to throw on jeans and a tee. If I looked too hard at my avatar, I would undoubtedly become obsessed with how she looked, and forget there was a big wide world to continue exploring, and I still enjoy exploring, although have relatively little time for logging in world currently. 

Your story was interesting to me. I hope mine will be to you too. 

• Like 6

what is SL to me.. nothing more than irc but with pixels.. its just another form of socializing but with graphics as an added flavoring. does it make sl better than irc. No. I often go back to irc to get away from the sl drama. but often come here to get away from the irc drama. i dont see sl as anything negative of positive. Its just another place to be to talk to people on the internet. I know my avatar is not me nor is it a representation of me. I dont do the immersion/fantasy/dream bit its not why i am here.

• Like 4

I had joined the teen grid originally loooong ago. Didn't like it as much, took a very long extended break and then came back with a new account. I specifically remember coming across ads for Second Life after I had become too familiar with The Sims 2 and IMVU and craved more of an open world where I could interact with others and not just stand around playing virtual barbies alone.

I started out kinda in the role-play scene as part of communities and spent a few years investing my time into that, but these days I tend to be rather hermit-like in my home. I am happy focusing on architecture/interior design and socializing on the side. I have even started fooling around with some crude builds of my own. 

I am an introvert in RL, and find it comfortable to communicate online. I actually enjoy making friends on here as it helps me practice working through my social anxieties. And when times get tough in RL, I find solace in the fact that my account is sitting here waiting for me like always, and it remains a rock for me when I need a pick-me-up or small boost. 

• Like 5

SL is where my friends slive ❤️

it's also a place where the regular rules don't apply and the fantastical can be real.

it's a place where the only limit to my creativity is energy levels, where i can riff off of things other people have made or make my own.

it's a place where i can make a shop around a peculiar interest and find people who are also interested in it, or curious enough to be interested in lots of things.

it's a place where i can meet and become friends with lots of different people from lots of different places with lots of different ideas and ways of doing things, which enrichens my life no end.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, MirandaBowers said:

I am an introvert in RL, and find it comfortable to communicate online. I actually enjoy making friends on here as it helps me practice working through my social anxieties. 

Totally this! In RL I'm usually walking around hoping people won't talk to me and avoiding conversation. When they do, then I'm usually trying to end the interaction ASAP!

But in SL I transform into this complete sociable entity! I love meeting people, striking up conversations with strangers and making new friends in world. 

I don't fully understand why. Maybe there's something reassuring about the safety of my computer screen, or something I prefer about being able to think about what I say before I say it (like how I prefer sending text messages to making phone calls) or I'm just more confident with how I'm represented by my avatar...or possibly a combination of all these factors!

Whatever it is, I find it so interesting how my personality in RL and SL can be different like that. 😄

• Like 7

I joined back in '07, but it was when SL was making news on MSM and many colleges thought it was a good idea to use SL as a way to teach... I thought it was interesting but left quickly after. I came back maybe a year ago out of curiosity, thinking it would be a good way to make friends. My rl is usually work heavy, so the last thing I want to do is be social, also I am an introvert/antisocial and usually being social doesn't interest me (I go back & forth on this, actually). Then I thought I could become a content creator, then I thought about just visiting places and taking pretty pictures which boiled down to taking sl food pictures, clothes shopping and I like it. It sounds basic but it entertains me since doing this in rl => $$$. I found a role playing community that is perfect for me, and I visit them regularly for a chat too.

For me taking pictures and posting them online enables me to create a short story which transports me to that moment. It's certainly helped with the entire lockdown thing going on. The most special part up to now has been putting together a little virtual birthday party for a friend of mine, since we were unable to go anywhere bc of the current situation and it made her very happy. So yeah, I do my own thing and I'm still considering being a designer here eventually.

• Like 4

Second Life to me is creative and being with other creative people stirs up my juices and gives me energy.

Second Life to me is being with people who have a fantastic sense of humor and make me laugh.

Second Life is to me an online community with a lot of helpful people.  

I love art, music, humor, spur of the moment silliness and even a chance to talk with those who may be spiritual but not religious - Second Life provides a lot of those things for me.  

Second Life offers me a chance to experiment with clothes and accessories I'd never buy in real life.  

As for getting over shyness, I have that too but I mostly don't think about it when I'm here...it seems to disappear.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

SL was a place I could come and be social in a way that worked for me. I suffer from depression, social anxiety and have had terrible periods of agoraphobia and so in SL I could dress how I want, look how I want and feel connected to people when I was going through a bad time.

Sadly my old crowd has mostly moved on so now while I still come online it's more to explore and shop as I don't really have a friend group anymore and have no idea where to start lol

• Like 1

Over the past year I have found myself being incredibly introverted and less willing to put myself out there in SL.  I spend my time alone on my skypad, take pictures, blog, shop far too much, obsess about sorting my inventory and work.   

It's become pixel dolls to me, with occasional interactions with other people.

For me it's sitting next to my friends in sl, discord screen sharing with my partner whilst we both wark wark, making 3d models to fill our sim and sell and watching each other at various points get distracted playing games

SL, for me, isn't just a chat thing or a socializing thing. For me, it's a way to pay for RL things, to help with bills, to have extra money. Sure, there can be pleasure but I mostly joined to make money since I can't get a job, RL, because of anxiety and things.

It's a place for me to get outside, and interact with people. I like to do RL photography. Since I can't really do that now, I take pics in SL and post them to Flickr. I enjoy meeting and chatting with people, but keep things as friends.

• 3 weeks later...

I came to second life a week or so ago to escape from my 1st life, and to have experiences that would be impossible for one reason or another otherwise.

During the last week I have met some absolutely delightful people, found some extraordinary locations, and bought and acquired some clothes and house furnishings.

i have found groups of people who are accepting of my limitations, and others where the phrase “ignorant, intolerant and bigotted” would appear to be too mild a description.

I have strapped on gossamer wings and soared like a bird, i have danced the night away at a gothic rave held in a castle.  I have discussed philosophy with someone who looked an lot like a furry teddybear.

I have been propositioned, offered a job, walked along sandy beaches and rocky trails.

And yet...

How old are you

where you from?

what panties you wearin (Seriously?)

tp me

you dom me

you sexy, we *****? 

why you no voice , you guy!! ( im not but thats my business)

those are Still the most popular questions I have to fend off whenever I wander around.  Luckily a friendly guy ( i think) gave me some awesome advice on dealing with this sort of thing and its working.

My observation so far is that far too many people think of this as an extension of their first life, which is fine for them but not For me.

I live my first life, and so far I love my second life. But please don’t expect me to accept your view of how things should be, and don't expect us to meet up in real life Or chat on the phone.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.