Blender 2.82

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Is that because you're getting used to 2.8 and forgetting how to sue 2.79 or is it genuinely more user friendly? I mean, it's hard to think of a UI worse than Second Life's but we are all used to it so we hardly ever think about how we use it and would probably feel very uncomfortable if LL changed it to something that was technically and from an inexperienced user's point of view better.

I'll probably leave this thread now because it's not really relevant to me but speaking for myself - not anybody else - what I want to do is make more performant content for Second Life and opensim. I've yet to hear any mention of anything 2.8 has and 2.79 doesn't that will allow me to do that. So the only reason I can possibly have to update is if it can help me get the job done faster and I can't see any way it can deliver there either.

I'm not sure - I mean, I still know HOW to use 2.79, but the more I use 2.8 and approach the same level of familiarity with the shortcuts etc the more 2.8 seems somehow "cleaner"? I'm not sure how better to express it. At least for the most commonly used functions. There's the "wait, this is THAT version, do it THIS way" thing when switching back and forth, of course, but that isn't all of it.  Once I have a fully functional and "production-ready" workflow for SL in 2.8 - and it's real close now that Gaia has so many of the bugs in the experimental avastar fixed - I'm not sure I'd go back to using 2.79 unless I had to. 

And this is from somebody who hated the 2.8 UI with a passion when he first encountered it, ok? But I'm getting from that point past "ok I can work with this"  to "I got this..." real fast.

• Like 1

It's debatable, for instance i'm not a big fan of the huge icons in the toolshelf, or the way they remain "active" until i change tool for instance.

There is also a bunch of handy sub menus that don't appear to have a hotkey (at least by default?).

There is no way to get a more "useful" tool shelf is there?

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

There is also a bunch of handy sub menus that don't appear to have a hotkey (at least by default?).

One thing I noticed right away is that despite the talk about 2.8 implementing de facto standards for keybaord shortcuts, Ctrl+W doesn't do anything at all. I suppose that's hardly an issue for most users but if you have dozens of files open at the same time (which I often have) it could have been a real time saver. Besides, if they managed to miss something so obvious that even the SL viewer got it right, I have to worry what other aspects of good UI design they overlooked.

Edited by ChinRey

@ChinRey Those glitched screenshots you showed are reminiscent of GPU errors that we see from time to time on SL. There's a few versions of them form Intel to NVidia the causes can vary, check you drivers are up to date (I'm sure they are but check...just in case) I've certainly never seen anything like that, it is safe to say it is not a feature of 2.8 to look that way 🙂 

I agree with @Kyrah Abattoirthat the stickiness of the button things is weird to me, but I rarely use them so part of my problem is that my unfamiliarity makes it a surprise every time it happens. On the whole though, the benefits far outweigh the downsides. Sculpting is a delight now, I'm not much of a sculptor really but it's a far more natural process now than before. I've got a long way to go before I've optimised my workflow and shortcuts there are oddities such as the render mode not sticking when you switch back and forth between views which I believe is just a plain old bug.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.