Life’s Funny Little Ironies

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So where I work, I spend most of my time in a control room that looks like something from the Expanse or some sci-fi version of NASA.

Actually, I’m “working there again” as we lost several key people before CV19 - so I’m doing my old job at my “promoted” rate and hoping accounting does not get any bright ideas.

So, for almost a year, many of our semi-secure/frequently-accessed systems have been added to biometric keying - mostly facial recognition.

Yesterday, the day those systems were “certified” as fully-implemented, none of them were working.

Thats what happens when your facial-recognition encounters an environment where everyone is wearing a mask 🙂

((My two acolytes sit at stations within 6’ of my left and right, mainly so they can keep track of how often I make rude gestures at my screens. For them, its a little bit like being in an Apollo space capsule with a pilot who has no Filter))

I enjoy seeing the Machine get that little poke-in-the-eye for some reason......

It gives me joy 🙂

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292994144f426b0e3031

Edited by Amanda Crisp
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

BTW, the “like being in an Apollo capsule with a pilot who has no filter” quote is a slightly cleaned up comment from one of my recent trainees. His version was more fun, but we have Forum Monitors I need to watch my language around 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Life is certainly full of little ironies. 

A non-painful one for me this morning is I just created a brand new alt. I wanted to be Marigold Vanilla, have the new last name officially, but simply cannot justify the cost, I have cheated and am MarigoldVanilla instead.

Normally I can be in world for hours and not have a soul talk to me, not get replies to IMs I send to friends even, but today, within seconds of landing on a sim, I was contacted by three people; a bloke just trying to pick up random girls, an avatar offering me a Bloodlines vampire bite, and a female avatar inviting me to join some type of cult.

[03:42] M B: Hello. Welcome to Second Life. :-)
[03:42] MarigoldVanilla: Sweet. Hello.
[03:42] M B: I started a group, Sex With God. We disagree with those who say lust and human nature are bad. There are members of the group who have offered themselves as vessels through which we can have sex with God. Would you like to join us?
[03:43] MarigoldVanilla: No. But thank you.
[03:43] M B: ok :-)

I should be grateful, I know, that anyone wants to talk to me. But I don't even want to talk to myself right now. :/ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

So where I work, I spend most of my time in a control room that looks like something from the Expanse or some sci-fi version of NASA.

Actually, I’m “working there again” as we lost several key people before CV19 - so I’m doing my old job at my “promoted” rate and hoping accounting does not get any bright ideas.

So, for almost a year, many of our semi-secure/frequently-accessed systems have been added to biometric keying - mostly facial recognition.

Yesterday, the day those systems were “certified” as fully-implemented, none of them were working.

Thats what happens when your facial-recognition encounters an environment where everyone is wearing a mask 🙂

((My two acolytes sit at stations within 6’ of my left and right, mainly so they can keep track of how often I make rude gestures at my screens. For them, its a little bit like being in an Apollo space capsule with a pilot who has no Filter))

I enjoy seeing the Machine get that little poke-in-the-eye for some reason......

It gives me joy 🙂

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292994144f426b0e3031

Yes Russian protesters figured this out when that facial recognition program (the one invented by Russian programmers) was used to arrest people or get them fired from their jobs or expelled from schools. 

4 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

[03:42] M B: I started a group, Sex With God. We disagree with those who say lust and human nature are bad. There are members of the group who have offered themselves as vessels through which we can have sex with God. Would you like to join us?

I'm sure he would be disappointed to know that he'd been anticipated by about 3,000 years  by the Babylonians.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.